E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Missing headlight washer covers

03-18-2010, 09:54 PM   #1
Ricks_335I
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 335I

Angry Missing headlight washer covers

I had both headlight washer covers fall off my 2008 335I during a cold and snowy period a couple of weeks ago. After some research, this appears to be a worldwide problem. The BMWLand website has numerous posts about owners losing headlight washer covers during a recent cold spell across Europe. One BMWLand comment states:

"BMW (Europe) have obviously conceded that it is a design fault by virtue of the fact that they are now treating it as a warranty claim"

My BMW dealer in Ohio estimated a replacement cost of around $550.00 to replace these covers! Why is BMW paying for the European repairs and not for the American repairs? BMW North America needs to take some responsibility for this defective design and cover the costs in the USA as well.

This is a serious safety issue for both the driver and other motorists dodging the defective parts flying off of BMWs on the highway.

Rick
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2010, 01:31 AM   #2
Ricks_335I
United_States
Rep

BMW excuses for lost headlight washer covers

What to expect from BMW and their dealers if you lose your headlight washer covers during cold weather (around $600.00 to repair).
BMW North America and the dealers(s) seem to have a common script (EXCUSE) about handling this defect. Here is my recent experience with a new BMW under warranty coverage:

First, they both said that the covers were likely stolen??? I know this is false because the covers were in place before I made a trip across town in the snowy weather. Besides, what would a thief do with a custom painted piece of plastic?

Second, they claim that the defective nozzles/covers need to be inspected for warranty service. They know recovering these items that fall off on the highway somewhere is almost impossible. So BMW wants their customers to search the dark and dangerous highways for these part on foot...This has to be the dumbest thing I ever heard!

Third, they pull "The Act Of God" line. Snow and cold is common up north, so this was no special situation. I did not drive through a tornado or flood.

BMW knows this is a defect and they are trying to get out of paying for it. BMW Europe is covering the cost of repairing this defect according to the posts on BMWland. I have lost all confidence in BMW North America's warranty coverage. Are they going to pull this crap on other problems I might have with the car? This will likely be my last BMW after the treatment I have received from the dealer and BMW.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2010, 07:06 PM   #3
Ricks_335I
United_States
Rep

Close-up picture of 335i bumper with missing headlight washer cover

FYI
Close-up picture of 2008 335i bumper with missing headlight washer cover.
($600.00 repair is not covered under warranty in the USA, but covered in Europe?)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 11:26 AM   #4
devilzrule
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 328 xi

this same exact thing happened to me!! i had scheduled service and mentioned my missing headlight washer cover to my SA. he said no problem he will take care of it. he took care of it free of charge. I had no idea it costs $600. on a side note the cover had to be ordered and painted since it wasnt in stock. but i didnt pay a dime!!
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2010, 06:09 AM   #5
Hoffers
Registered
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport

Frozen off how do you put them on

Hi, My 2007 330i M Sport has simply been sat outside my house in freezing conditions over Xmas. To refute BMW claims on theft the two front headlight washer covers have simply popped off as the ice I presume has frozen below them. So no theft no act of carelessness, no bump on a motorway just a bad design !!
My question to those that have fitted them is how do I get them back on ?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 10:52 AM   #6
talisman311
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90

1. Defrost housing by pouring luke-warm water over it
2. Try to flush out your non low-temp fluid

3. Separate nozzle cover and nozzle
4. Insert nozzle into housing until you hear a click
5. Pull nozzle out and re-attach the nozzle cover (it's easier to 'twist' the cover onto the pegs of the nozzle)

Other hints: The nozzle is a pain to pull out and hold. I used a pair of pliers and carefully pulled the nozzle out, then pinched the nozzle to keep out while reattaching the cover with my other hand. If you aren't too steady I'd recommend putting some masking tape around the nozzle opening to prevent scratching the bumper.
      08-10-2015, 06:38 AM   #7
grahamy2k
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i SE coupe e92

I'm not sure if it's bad practice to post on old threads but I have these items missing from when I bought the car. I am looking at getting the parts from ali express or I think their ebay page, user 48express-ie, as a cheaper alternative to BMW parts, has anybody else used them? My thoughts are they can't be much/any worse than the BMW parts and I can get a spare as they are cheap.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181574362176 - getting postage to work is difficult with this but they are trying to help.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/FOR-E...017041754.html
Appreciate 0