E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Cracked Aftermarket Chargepipe

02-20-2018, 11:21 AM   #1
The_E92_Fan
V8 Bait
Rep
Drives: your mom

Cracked Aftermarket Chargepipe

I realized today that my ER long charge pipe is cracked where it connects to the throttle body; it is ripping off the flange just after the C-clamp. Thats also the place where most stock ones go kaput in many directions. I already know that i am going to have a fab shop repair it, but it got me thinking about what causes it. I believe some failures may possibly be caused by the engine torquing under load leading to the abrupt failure of plastic ones, and in my case plastic deformation. If this is true, would we all benefit from stiffer engine mounts?
      02-20-2018, 11:47 AM   #2
asiflicious
Captain
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_E90_Fan View Post
I realized today that my ER long charge pipe is cracked where it connects to the throttle body; it is ripping off the flange just after the C-clamp. Thats also the place where most stock ones go kaput in many directions. I already know that i am going to have a fab shop repair it, but it got me thinking about what causes it. I believe some failures may possibly be caused by the engine torquing under load leading to the abrupt failure of plastic ones, and in my case plastic deformation. If this is true, would we all benefit from stiffer engine mounts?
Isn't that charge pipe solid metal? How on earth did you crack that?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 01:00 PM   #3
320IN54
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i, 2021 BMW M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiflicious View Post
Isn't that charge pipe solid metal? How on earth did you crack that?
1000 PSI boost from his jet turbine turbos Probably a bad install and tried to force the chargepipe to fit.
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2018, 02:14 PM   #4
boostvibes
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 e90 335i

did you bolt down the support bolt? i have an ER chargepipe and ive heard its better to leave that off to alleviate stress as the engine flexes. maybe even take a look at your motor mounts.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 01:48 PM   #5
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

I've got an iS with stiffer mounts, cracked my stock @2kish rpm in 6th gear cruising on the highway so yeaaaaa
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 03:28 PM   #6
MysticRob
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i E90

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostvibes View Post
did you bolt down the support bolt? i have an ER chargepipe and ive heard its better to leave that off to alleviate stress as the engine flexes. maybe even take a look at your motor mounts.
I just installed a VRSF charge pipe, and can't remember for the life of me, but isn't the support bolt attached to the long-block bracketry somehow, so it'll move with the entire block assembly anyway?

More importantly, I do remember that my VRSF charge pipe doesn't even have a way to bolt to that support location, so it basically free-floats between the throttle body and the intercooler plumbing. I figured all aftermarket pipes would be the same but honestly haven't looked at others.
      02-21-2018, 03:48 PM   #7
boostvibes
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticRob View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostvibes View Post
I just installed a VRSF charge pipe, and can't remember for the life of me, but isn't the support bolt attached to the long-block bracketry somehow, so it'll move with the entire block assembly anyway?

More importantly, I do remember that my VRSF charge pipe doesn't even have a way to bolt to that support location, so it basically free-floats between the throttle body and the intercooler plumbing. I figured all aftermarket pipes would be the same but honestly haven't looked at others.
Yeah this is just something I've read. And after installing my ER chargepipe I left that bracket alone as it seemed like the better fit to leave it to "float" as u said.