E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Almost the End of My E90

06-19-2018, 09:59 PM   #23
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

The backup camera in our X5 is completely useless. By the time you get through the nag messages about not getting destracted by the idrive, and the warning not to only rely on the backup camera (which takes up 1/3 of the useable view), you're already done backing up. Most of the time I just turn the stupid thing off so I dont have to listen to the annoying park distance sensors..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 10:51 AM   #24
Indyeah
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 6MT SGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
The backup camera in our X5 is completely useless. By the time you get through the nag messages about not getting destracted by the idrive, and the warning not to only rely on the backup camera (which takes up 1/3 of the useable view), you're already done backing up. Most of the time I just turn the stupid thing off so I dont have to listen to the annoying park distance sensors..
Never used a BMW backup camera but the ones I have used hide all those messages when you go into reverse. Pretty stupid of BMW to keep them on the screen...
      06-22-2018, 12:33 PM   #25
ryan stewart
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 328it

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
Yup and so is maintaining one. When I worked in the insurance industry many of the claims I handled involved AARP drivers.

By the end I wasn't sure what was worse, elderly drivers or drunks. There was recently a hit and run in my sister's neighborhood. An elderly woman (who left a dinner party and might have had a drink or two) ran over a young guy walking home, and she kept driving. The guy was in the ICU for a while but survived. She thought she hit a trash can.
As a motorcyclist Id rather be on the road at 2am than 8am. At least with drunks they are TRYING to drive. At 8am everyone is on their phones.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2018, 12:34 PM   #26
ryan stewart
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
I think you can code that stuff out. When screwing with my car I saw tons of options for that but I dont have that, just the PDC. Which I personally prefer over the camera anyway.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2018, 12:44 PM   #27
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

yeah I can, I'll get to it eventually. I still think the backup camera is pretty pointless.

Like those automatic braking things so you can stop paying attention to the road. WTF?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2018, 01:58 PM   #28
ryan stewart
Major
Rep

Honestly I am a fan of the intervention systems, far more than the "mitigation" systems. I ride a motorcycle and there have been a few instances where I have witnessed lane control systems prevent drivers from running into me, etc.

People arent paying attention anyway, might as well have the car looking out for me.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2018, 02:25 PM   #29
ewicky
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335xi 4D AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan stewart View Post
As a motorcyclist Id rather be on the road at 2am than 8am. At least with drunks they are TRYING to drive. At 8am everyone is on their phones.
Appreciate 0