E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Anyone know what this screen means?

02-21-2018, 05:23 AM   #1
garyhgaryh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Supercharged e30 M3

Anyone know what this screen means?

I'm trying to reset my brake sensor. I tried resetting it twice and got the following screen. Does anyone explain this screen to me?

Any tips on resetting the brake pad warning light? I hear I may need to purchase a new set of sensors to trick the car into thinking I have new sensors due to me trying to reset it too many times. I currently have new sensors installed .

I'm also going to smog my car. Is there a way to turn off the dsc and brake warning lights using inpa?

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 05:38 AM   #2
ChuckThomas
Dealer Speed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 328 E90

I don't know if you disconnected the battery or not but when you do, it changes the date on the car.

That symbol means it's time for an "state inspection".
      02-21-2018, 05:39 AM   #3
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyhgaryh View Post
I'm trying to reset my brake sensor. I tried resetting it twice and got the following screen. Does anyone explain this screen to me?

Any tips on resetting the brake pad warning light? I hear I may need to purchase a new set of sensors to trick the car into thinking I have new sensors due to me trying to reset it too many times. I currently have new sensors installed .

I'm also going to smog my car. Is there a way to turn off the dsc and brake warning lights using inpa?

Thanks in advance!
I don't think that's your brake sensor light. It wouldn't have a date. The brake fluid would. You can use Carly, the Schwaben scan tool or just reset the sensor through the stalk.

There's DIY's for all 3. Personally, I do it through the stalk, but that's just me.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 08:20 AM   #4
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

DSC and brake lining lights have nothing to do with smog. I would make sure your car doesn't have any codes on the DME though before you bring it in, because you will probably fail instantly if there are any codes present.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 08:28 AM   #5
unrulyteach
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
That light is for emissions inspection Op
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 09:01 AM   #6
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Unrulyteach is close. That's the notification for state/local safety (roadworthiness) inspection. It can be set for an annual inspection if you have annual state safety inspections. If you do not have safety inspection requirements, then just set it for a date way out in the future. If you do have an annual inspection, then set the notification the month before it's due, because the notification comes up at the end of the month, not the beginning of the month.

The emissions inspection notification is similar to this one only the squiggly thing is at the back of the car symbol with a smoke puff out the exhaust pipe. I don't have emissions inspection where I live so I set my emissions notification out to the month I plan on retiring
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2018, 09:20 AM   #7
unrulyteach
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Unrulyteach is close. That's the notification for state/local safety (roadworthiness) inspection. It can be set for an annual inspection if you have annual state safety inspections. If you do not have safety inspection requirements, then just set it for a date way out in the future. If you do have an annual inspection, then set the notification the month before it's due, because the notification comes up at the end of the month, not the beginning of the month.

The emissions inspection notification is similar to this one only the squiggly thing is at the back of the car symbol with a smoke puff out the exhaust pipe. I don't have emissions inspection where I live so I set my emissions notification out to the month I plan on retiring
Correct
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 09:27 AM   #8
garyhgaryh
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
DSC and brake lining lights have nothing to do with smog. I would make sure your car doesn't have any codes on the DME though before you bring it in, because you will probably fail instantly if there are any codes present.
In ca I must not have any warning light on the dash else I won't pass smog.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 09:30 AM   #9
garyhgaryh
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckThomas View Post
I don't know if you disconnected the battery or not but when you do, it changes the date on the car.

That symbol means it's time for an "state inspection".
Battery was not disconnected. I'm due for smog inspection next week.
Interesting I get this now when trying to reset brakes through the stalk.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 09:33 AM   #10
garyhgaryh
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Why do I get this screen when trying to reset my brake pad lining sensor?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 09:34 AM   #11
garyhgaryh
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
I don't think that's your brake sensor light. It wouldn't have a date. The brake fluid would. You can use Carly, the Schwaben scan tool or just reset the sensor through the stalk.

There's DIY's for all 3. Personally, I do it through the stalk, but that's just me.
I get this screen when trying to reset my brake pad lining sensor.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 10:08 AM   #12
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

Quote:
those warnings have nothing to do with your engine.

agree to disagree..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 10:11 AM   #13
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by unrulyteach View Post
Correct
No flame meant...
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 10:19 AM   #14
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Why do I get this screen when trying to reset my brake pad lining sensor?
Thanks
It is part of the CBS notification menu suite of resettable notifications, you are probably just passing by the brake notification and landing on the inspection one because it is 13 months overdue.

That said, for resetting the brake pad notification, did you actually replace the pads and sensor, and for which axle? There are separate brake pad notifications for each axle. If you reset the brake notification without replacing the pad wear sensor, you'll screw up the CBS brake pad notification system.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 10:23 AM   #15
unrulyteach
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Correct
No flame meant...
Ur a cool guy
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 10:26 AM   #16
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hass is correct. Just reset the inspection notification. It's not related to the emissions system, it's just a calendar date function that is completely adjustable (resettable) by the owner of the car. You are confusing the inspection icon with the Service Engine Soon light, which is part of the emissions diagnostics system. If the SES light is on, you will fail an emissions test.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 10:31 AM   #17
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ur a cool guy
We wish folks would just read the owners manual... Chas had it correct right off the bat, I just wanted to clarify to the OP. The CBS and warning messages can get confusing. Took me a few missed safety inspections to figure out to set the frickin' thing for the month before the inspection is due
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 10:48 AM   #18
unrulyteach
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Ur a cool guy
We wish folks would just read the owners manual... Chas had it correct right off the bat, I just wanted to clarify to the OP. The CBS and warning messages can get confusing. Took me a few missed safety inspections to figure out to set the frickin' thing for the month before the inspection is due
Why do that when they can come ask us on here
Appreciate 0