E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Installed LSD, AR catless DP, Helix FMIC w/ procede v5 -should I bother with CAI/DCI?

04-18-2011, 10:14 PM   #1
purifyer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93 335i

Installed LSD, AR catless DP, Helix FMIC w/ procede v5 -should I bother with CAI/DCI?

Hey peeps

it has taken... months since I last posted about upgrades

Over the past week Andrew@southernBM has installed Quaife LSD, Helix FMIC and AR DPs, as well as updated my vishnu to v5 30-3 from v4

I only got the car back last night... not too sure if there is that much difference, not exactly sure what I was expecting though. Maybe the vishnu autotuning needs to work everything out still. The change feels less significant than going from stock to procede.

I've noticed a slight change in the sound of the car (haven't driven with roof off yet). Maybe I can't smell, but I haven't noticed any adverse effects from having the two cats out either, so to anyone worrying about the noise and smell from catless DPs, in my opinion it is somewhat of an exagerration.

One definite change I have noticed is that from standstill, I can't simply put my foot to the floor, all I do now is burn rubber and go nowhere

Anyone have opinion on whether the stock airbox is preventing the extra hp from the FMIC and DP? I have a stett CAI sitting around waiting to be installed, unfortunately I asked andrew at the last minute to install and he didn't have time.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 10:32 PM   #2
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

wow sounds like this cashmere beige convertible is gonna be one hell of a sleeper!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 10:47 PM   #3
MFKN3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: supercharged 4.4L stroker E92

The FMIC and DP's will give you more consistent power but you will notice it after more driving. The DP's will definately improve acceleration and the smell isn't obvious but you will notice it if you pull up at lights with the window down - unless of course you still have the stock exhaust and secondary cats.

Your stock exhaust and intake will slightly bottleneck your setup, I would suggest at least doing the DCI as they are cheap and effective.

There have been several dyno's done on stage 3 cars with and without intakes and the stock intake seems to bottleneck aroud 360wph. I had a 1er disagree with me recently, only to see, sure enough with all bolt on's (except intake) he was sitting on 350whp.

Since you've gone LSD and DP's, you might as well get the new meth kit coming out soon too!!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 11:35 PM   #4
purifyer
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFKN3 View Post
The FMIC and DP's will give you more consistent power but you will notice it after more driving. The DP's will definately improve acceleration and the smell isn't obvious but you will notice it if you pull up at lights with the window down - unless of course you still have the stock exhaust and secondary cats.

Since you've gone LSD and DP's, you might as well get the new meth kit coming out soon too!!
yeah I still have stock exhaust and secondary cats. My understanding was that ~80% of the power gains come just from catless DPs alone, the other 10-20% from exhaust and secondary cat delete. If that is the case I am probably going to give 10-20% extra power a miss.

I'll be giving the meth / fuel kit a serious look in, depending on how the general forum community responds to it.

The main problem I have is that I have heard that installing the CAI requires a slight movement of the Power steering reservoir, and that this will interfere with the installation with the new vish meth kit. Noone seems to have any idea if this is correct or not, which is annoying. I don't really want to pay for the install of the CAI and get it uninstalled in a few months time.

I think the most limiting parts of my setup at the moment are the runflats which I'll get rid of asap. I'm thinking of upgrading to 19" V710/CSL (with appropriate decent tyres). I would love to get an m3 rep 19" but the quality of the reps seems pretty dodgy going by what's being said on the board.

After that I will get the mtech body kit. Any advice on who to get it from? Any links straight to the whole body kit? How much does the collective forum mind reckon it will cost in total (+painting and install)?

I really want the vorsteiner v35 vented hood but I think it may look slightly too gay on a non lowered standard suspension mtech body... especially in platinum bronze... opinions?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 12:11 AM   #5
MFKN3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: supercharged 4.4L stroker E92

Yeah you're right about the exhaust. For intake, try out DCI cones. They aren't fancy but do the job and the cooling occurs in your new FMIC. I have my old set here and the filters on them were replaced only a couple months prior if you're interested.

For m-tech kit, I think budget $4-5k painted and fitted. A local sponsor on here sells an aftermarket/M3 one, otherwise your only option is the dealer. I tried importing one from US & UK but the shipping kills it.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 12:13 AM   #6
V1_R
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30 530i

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [10.00]
The Injen DCI requires moving the power steering reservoir but provides the brackets.

The AFE CAI does not require moving the power steering reservoir.

I'm not sure if this (Injen DCI) will affect the Vishnu meth kit, but you should be able to see examples of both setups and judge.

They both looks awesome and sound just as great. I would say my Injen DCI (which is for sale) also adds a small kick to my stock setup... and could only improve a setup like yours.
      04-19-2011, 12:17 AM   #7
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

I got shitty with the noise from my Injen intake so went back to stock. Will get a better filter for it next time it needs changing. I imagine it would be even worse on a vert.

LSD is an awesome mod, find an empty car park one wet night and let rip, you'll really enjoy the drift-ability of the car.
Vishnu PROcede V5 | VK Motorworks FMIC | AR Design OCC | Forge DV's | Bilstein PSS9 | M3 Lower Control Arms & Caster Rods | Quaife LSD | HiTech Exhaust | BMW Performance Illuminated Door Sills | BMW Performance Gear Selector & Boot | BMW Performance E-Brake Cover
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 12:20 AM   #8
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep

Definitely do meth. The overall reaction has been very positive and provides awesome bang for the buck.

Why the Mtech kit? I don't know of anyone supplying replica Mtech kits, only M3 style which have the foglights (personal opinion whether you like the foggies or not)

Imo to improve styling you're better off going with the aero lip (300-450), m3 side skirts (250 + 200 to paint) and mtech style rear (450 + 300). Total will be $1,500 plus or minus 10%.

New rims will certainly help get the power down and improve the looks, I thought you bought that guys V710s already?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 12:35 AM   #9
purifyer
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmroxm5 View Post
Definitely do meth. The overall reaction has been very positive and provides awesome bang for the buck.

Why the Mtech kit? I don't know of anyone supplying replica Mtech kits, only M3 style which have the foglights (personal opinion whether you like the foggies or not)

Imo to improve styling you're better off going with the aero lip (300-450), m3 side skirts (250 + 200 to paint) and mtech style rear (450 + 300). Total will be $1,500 plus or minus 10%.

New rims will certainly help get the power down and improve the looks, I thought you bought that guys V710s already?
I was going to buy those v710s, the more I talked to the seller the more dodgey he seemed (no offence if seller is reading), changed his story as to why he had the wheels, offered different ones instead, so I backed out. Definitely on the look out for a good set of wheels still.

I love your bastuck quad tips + diffuser, where did you get them from and how much did it cost you?

I'll have a think about the lip, side skirts and rear.. hmmm
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 01:26 AM   #10
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by purifyer View Post
I was going to buy those v710s, the more I talked to the seller the more dodgey he seemed (no offence if seller is reading), changed his story as to why he had the wheels, offered different ones instead, so I backed out. Definitely on the look out for a good set of wheels still.

I love your bastuck quad tips + diffuser, where did you get them from and how much did it cost you?

I've met that seller before lol! He's a sydney member and I've actually seen the wheels he had in the boxes... he might come across as dodgy lol but if you want me to go double check on the wheels for you I will.

That diffuser I posted up was for another member on here, finished pics to come. Diffuser and tips were a bit over $400 total from Cyba (vendor on here). It's to fit an Msport rear bumper and I hooked up said member with one from Jason at euro division and got it painted for him.

Reason I prefer aero lip over M sport front is:
- rarer
- utilises your existing bumper so less parts to waste/take up space in your garage
- cheaper

You def need some decent rubber though! And if you want wheels Jason sells his for $1100 a set or something? not much more than 'dodgy seller' was selling for...
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 02:23 AM   #11
purifyer
First Lieutenant
Rep

I think I may have been a bit too negative in my first post...

I tried map 2 on the way home... let me just say I am currently too scared to WOT

I was probably travelling about... 60kmh on empty highway, did WOT in 3rd gear... and nearly fishtailed off the road... this is with all stability controls on (ie. I didn't press DTC)

I think it's the tyres?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 02:41 AM   #12
suff
On the hunt for PSI
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:

I think it's the tyres?
Sure is, and limits of mechanical grip due to OEM suspension! Strongly suggest you invest in some sticky tyres.. There is always a negative (for me its the noise), but its worth it to allow you to put the pwoer down..

Personal recommendation would be Yokohama AD08's (http://www.yokohama.com.au/ourtyres/...spx?tyreid=208)

Not the cheapest, nor the quietest but a very nice tyre.. I am sure others here will have recommendations for you too!
      04-19-2011, 11:06 PM   #13
purifyer
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Any links as to where I can get all these goodies you speak of? as well as the bastuck quad tips and the CF diffuser

Its quite confusing going through all the sponsor websites trying to find the body kits

Looking at the forums alot of people say the OEM m3 side skirts have fitment issues on non M cars. Are you talking about reps? Is the quality good?

With painting... can I get all these things painted in the states before being shipped or am I better getting them painted and installed at the same time? I also couldn't care less if it takes 3 months to get to australia.. so is buying overseas and shipping via sea an option (MFKN3 was saying the high shipping costs meant he had to pay local stealership prices)

With the high aussie dollar I would love to buy from the us if possible
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 02:21 AM   #14
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep

You can get parts painted before shipping but it's probably better to get it done here so they can colour match as each paint is a slightly different shade to the next.

Aerolip - painted from JBSPEED or cheaper to get the ebay one from 'baysonr' and get it painted at your local panel beater
M3 Side Skirts (replica) - Euro Division
Mtech style rear bumper - Euro Division
Quad Tips & CF Diffuser - http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=318547
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 08:23 AM   #15
SharifE
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i E90

He is not dodgy guys.
I bought the rims, just on lookout for tyres.

Quote:
Quote:

Imo to improve styling you're better off going with the aero lip (300-450), m3 side skirts (250 200 to paint) and mtech style rear (450 300). Total will be $1,500 plus or minus 10%.

I love your bastuck quad tips diffuser, where did you get them from and how much did it cost you?

04-22-2011, 02:45 AM   #16
Noelpolar
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Auto

How does the standard exhaust sound now you have the AR DPs? I thinking of getting a set myself. Also, as you may know V5 30-3 is beta and doesn't have auto tuning activated......defiantely goes well though!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 08:40 PM   #17
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

Beige E93 with that much power? Biggest sleeper ever. Go kill some HSVs for laughs.

If you want a DCI but don't want to spend or mess around too much, just get the BMS system for $95. It ain't pretty but definitely does it's job without any of the extra piping required by aFe and Injen. I personally love the sound of the turbo induction and blowoff that becomes very pronounced with open pod filters.

Tyres are a must, AD08s are an excellent choice, order them from tirerack.com and they'll be around USD$1200 shipped to your door. Also, it may be wise to look into coilovers too, there"s no point of having so much power if your suspension can't handle the speed.

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 07:45 PM   #18
saferisk
Back in the BMW family
Australia
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quite Simple, DONT DO METH YET wait for the new kit that Vishnu will release soon. Btw have you used the User Adjustables yet or done any logs? You cant wait for V5 to autotune as it hasn't been enabled yet so you are probably running conservative.

I would try updating Map 2 to boost to 17psi, ignition correction to 30%, O2 Modifier 100%, make sure to turn auto tuning OFF and set initial boost to 70%.

Otherwise if its a little confusing for you, shoot me a PM and I can come and show you.
Definitely not going to be much gain from CAI but you engine sound will be a little louder.
      04-27-2011, 07:46 PM   #19
saferisk
Back in the BMW family
Australia
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

BTW, Andrew@SBM is Awesome =)