E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Brake experts: Pad Contact Issue

08-28-2012, 09:26 AM   #1
fdsasdasdf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330Ci ZHP 6sp

Brake experts: Pad Contact Issue

While I may not own an E90 (this is on my E46 330Ci, stock brakes), I am hoping a brake guru can get me insight here as to what might be going on.

I have new rotors and used, but very new, brake pads. When replacing the pads, I checked to make sure they were even. Putting them together, they looked to be. Even before replacing my rotors (previous owner got new pads but did not replace the rotors), I had a ring of rust around the center of the brake. Since replacing my rotors, this rust ring has somehow moved to the edge of my rotor.

This occurs on my driver's side front rotor only. All other brakes are perfectly fine.

View post on imgur.com

I cannot figure out why this is. During regular driving, this rust remains. If I bed them in and stop hard a bunch of times, the rust goes away.

I will be doing some work on my car this weekend and plan on removing the slide pins and cleaning them up really well (BMW suggests not to lube them), and will be inspecting the brake pads to make sure all is okay with them in hopes that this will fix it.

Does anyone here have any ideas as to what might be going on? Are my pads tapered? Slide pins binding? Hub bent? I can fix the taper problem using some 120 grit sandpaper if that is the case, and use some 200+ -ish grit sandpaper lightly on the rotor to clean off any pad deposits.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 02:00 PM   #2
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

it's possible that your caliper spread a tiny bit. I've seen this before, but the pad usually evens itself out after a short while, and then you'll have full contact.
Appreciate 0