E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Sub for fiberglass enclosure

05-08-2021, 08:03 AM   #1
Jroberts31
Rep
Drives: BMW e90

Sub for fiberglass enclosure

Just bought a used fiberglass enclosure for e90. Goes on top of battery box. What's the best sub to use in this? I have an old JL audio 10w3 laying around ( it's version one btw) using jl audio rd500/1 amp.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 12:30 PM   #2
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jroberts31 View Post
Just bought a used fiberglass enclosure for e90. Goes on top of battery box. What's the best sub to use in this? I have an old JL audio 10w3 laying around ( it's version one btw) using jl audio rd500/1 amp.
JL Audio makes a great Sub & Amp.

Biggest thing is to make sure the Amp's RMS matches the Sub's RMS at the right ohm. Probably 4 ohm.

I have a 300w RMS JL Audio Sub in a corner mounted sub box made of 100% fiberglass. You really don't need more than 300 watts RMS IMO, unless you are a bass head.

The other piece to the puzzle is getting mid-bass subs underneath the seats that play nice with your corner mounted sub
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 07:25 AM   #3
Jroberts31
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
Quote:

Biggest thing is to make sure the Amp's RMS matches the Sub's RMS at the right ohm. Probably 4 ohm.

I have a 300w RMS JL Audio Sub in a corner mounted sub box made of 100% fiberglass. You really don't need more than 300 watts RMS IMO, unless you are a bass head.

The other piece to the puzzle is getting mid-bass subs underneath the seats that play nice with your corner mounted sub
Quote:
Quote:

Right now i have the original JL w3, (yes version 1) it's good but wanting something little more bass.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 08:43 AM   #4
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Right now i have the original JL w3, (yes version 1) it's good but wanting something little more bass.
Have you plugged it in w/ the amp? The fiberglass encasement makes for a tight & clean base. You could stuff the encasement, if it isn't.

What's the RMS on the older JL Audio sub & your amp?

Also, what are you running for underneath, seat subs?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 08:25 PM   #5
Jroberts31
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Have you plugged it in w/ the amp? The fiberglass encasement makes for a tight & clean base. You could stuff the encasement, if it isn't.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Everything factory other than head unit (Eonon) jl sub in fiberglass (it's pollyfilled) amp JL rd500/1.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 08:33 AM   #6
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Everything factory other than head unit (Eonon) jl sub in fiberglass (it's pollyfilled) amp JL rd500/1.
I think you will want to explore underneath sub options and have them play mid-base (80-90 - 250)

Then cross over your corner mounted sub at 80-90 down to 30
Appreciate 1
      05-13-2021, 02:46 PM   #7
Bizzlesmit
B $mit
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i Xdrive

Quote:
I have a NVX VSW10 in my trunk (opposite side of battery) and it sounds great.
      05-13-2021, 07:00 PM   #8
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-gptxs3...SAAEgJqevD_BwE

Your amp is 250w RMS at 4ohm

The sub above runs 100 to 500RMS at 4ohm.

I'd get the sub first. If you want more bass, up grade to an amp that's 500w RMS.

Personally, I'd get 5 channel amp. Use 2 channels for your under the seat subs & the 1 sub channel for your trunk sub.
Appreciate 0