E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Dealer servicing

11-12-2018, 03:04 PM   #1
Arnie69
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

Dealer servicing

In my search for a 330d, I've looked through a few service histories. The majority of them have been serviced by BMW dealerships.

I'm amazed that these dealers will service a vehicle multiple times without changing the oil. In some cases, the oil change interval is 30,000km.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 02:58 AM   #2
MJ80.
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 335i DCT Individual

Hilarious isnt it and the diesel oil typically requires more frequent servicing vs petrol historically haha, wild.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 03:39 AM   #3
Ken Oath
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 330d

Plausible that the owner completed the oil change themselves or at a third party without log book entry.

30,000km OCI is excessive but not beyond some modern oils. The last OCI at 20,000km had a UOA which provided a high TBN with 5% shear and could have easily provided a longer service life.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 03:40 AM   #4
Trev88
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 320d e90 LCI

Yeah you have to specifically request you want an oil change at the dealer. They seemed against regular oil change as they always tell me it's not necessary
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 04:02 AM   #5
Arnie69
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Oath View Post
Plausible that the owner completed the oil change themselves or at a third party without log book entry.

30,000km OCI is excessive but not beyond some modern oils. The last OCI at 20,000km had a UOA which provided a high TBN with 5% shear and could have easily provided a longer service life.
Yes, plausible, but counts against them when trying to sell the car and claiming a solid service history
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 05:11 AM   #6
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie69 View Post
In my search for a 330d, I've looked through a few service histories. The majority of them have been serviced by BMW dealerships.

I'm amazed that these dealers will service a vehicle multiple times without changing the oil. In some cases, the oil change interval is 30,000km.
CBS servicing, my friend. At least you can be rest assured they had LL04 approved oil and genuine parts used.

Logbooks mean jack these days. What you want is logbook plus the service invoice to back it up. Quite often, the advisor will note down recommendations and observations on the invoice and that is what gives you a better idea of the car's mechanical condition.

Choice of service provider is a contentious topic but we'll save that for another discussion.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 05:43 AM   #7
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by juld0zer View Post
CBS servicing, my friend. At least you can be rest assured they had LL04 approved oil and genuine parts used.

Logbooks mean jack these days. What you want is logbook plus the service invoice to back it up. Quite often, the advisor will note down recommendations and observations on the invoice and that is what gives you a better idea of the car's mechanical condition.

Choice of service provider is a contentious topic but we'll save that for another discussion.
How reliable are the E60 530D's that you've seen come through the dealership?

Been pondering the thought of one for a daily driver...
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 12:17 PM   #8
Arnie69
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

That's good advice.

I'm taking a look at a 330d next week. It's a one-owner car serviced by the same dealer since new. The owner is happy for me to discuss the car with his servicing dealer.

I'm thinking that I will call them and ask about recommendations made to the owner that weren't taken up.

Interestingly, this car was serviced and the oil changed every 10,000km. One positive sign.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 11:38 PM   #9
Arnie69
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I got a copy of the car's complete service history from the dealer. Specifics aside, $17,000 spent on servicing, repairs, windscreens and tyres since 2009. Seems like a reasonable amount to me (for a BMW dealer).

There was nothing major that was or needed to be attended to.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 04:07 AM   #10
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

330d were not really a troublesome car but that may also be skewed by its relatively low sales figures.

Usual E90 wear and tear items, plus additional tyre wear from the engine characteristics.

Listen out for the timing chain noise, although 330d's are not as bad as X5/X6 in this issue.

N57 common wear items include the harmonic balancer (rubber tears with age), coolant pump (leak) and various oil blowby leaks escaping from the ventilation hoses/connections and anywhere between the turbo inlet to the throttle body.
Appreciate 1
Arnie6911.50
      11-16-2018, 04:10 AM   #11
Arnie69
Private
Rep

Quote:
330d were not really a troublesome car but that may also be skewed by its relatively low sales figures.

Usual E90 wear and tear items, plus additional tyre wear from the engine characteristics.

Listen out for the timing chain noise, although 330d's are not as bad as X5/X6 in this issue.

N57 common wear items include the harmonic balancer (rubber tears with age), coolant pump (leak) and various oil blowby leaks escaping from the ventilation hoses/connections and anywhere between the turbo inlet to the throttle body.
Will do. Thanks
Appreciate 0