E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > red boost hose leak(can it damage anything?)

12-07-2018, 07:38 AM   #1
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

red boost hose leak(can it damage anything?)

last owner replaced the red hose with after market creations motorsport one 6 months ago,,anyway the under tray was covered when i bought it and so i took it off on monday,,omg,it took an hour to get all the oold sand/oil/mud etc off,,weighs around 5lb lighter now as i took all the black plastic sheeting off also to clean it properly,,cleaned all hose up a..put back,,4 days later and i can see its leaking onto undertray easlily,,when i bought the car i just thought it was all the build from before the hose was replaced,,,,i may get a new breather/plastic breather hose and fit them,,but my question is,,will extra oil in system over fed the the turbo or is it meant to be like this...ive messaged the red hose seller on e bay for some seals and get them done also as it may not of been fitted properly,,any info would be good
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 04:56 PM   #2
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasa bmw View Post
last owner replaced the red hose with after market creations motorsport one 6 months ago,,anyway the under tray was covered when i bought it and so i took it off on monday,,omg,it took an hour to get all the oold sand/oil/mud etc off,,weighs around 5lb lighter now as i took all the black plastic sheeting off also to clean it properly,,cleaned all hose up a..put back,,4 days later and i can see its leaking onto undertray easlily,,when i bought the car i just thought it was all the build from before the hose was replaced,,,,i may get a new breather/plastic breather hose and fit them,,but my question is,,will extra oil in system over fed the the turbo or is it meant to be like this...ive messaged the red hose seller on e bay for some seals and get them done also as it may not of been fitted properly,,any info would be good
How much oil is coming out? Normally if the seals have gone you get a fine mist spraying which only becomes apparent over time. If oil is dripping out then the pipe may not be seated correctly. Any photos?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 12:48 AM   #3
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible_ View Post
How much oil is coming out? Normally if the seals have gone you get a fine mist spraying which only becomes apparent over time. If oil is dripping out then the pipe may not be seated correctly. Any photos?
yeh i was thinking that,,maybe the seals got snagged when putting it on,,i know the hose just usually has atomised oil on it,,ive had a new hose on my 330d for 10 months and thats fine now..but yeh its deffo leaking more,,although it was raining heavily yesterday morning while driving and maybe a bit water got mixed with it,,but no signs of wet on other side so i doubt water got in to make it look worse,,gonna get top and bottom seals and go from there,,
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 03:49 AM   #4
P14kle
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91

Take hoses off completely, drop intercooler out of car. Fit the hoses to intercooler making sure any oil etc is clear from both hose and IC.
Use a small amount of ptfe tape under the o-ring on hose if you like. (Only 1 or 2 winds round)

Then put the IC back on car and fit the other ends on engine and turbo.

I did it this way last time and not a dribble from either hose since. 😎
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 10:17 AM   #5
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P14kle View Post
Take hoses off completely, drop intercooler out of car. Fit the hoses to intercooler making sure any oil etc is clear from both hose and IC.
Use a small amount of ptfe tape under the o-ring on hose if you like. (Only 1 or 2 winds round)

is that the plumbers tape for threads yeh,,ive got some in tool chest somewhere? and waht do you mean under the o ring,,you mean wrap it around the metal part that goes to ic ?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 11:43 AM   #6
P14kle
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Carefully take the o rings off the connecting ends of hose. Wrap a small amount of the PTFE tape (yes, the white thread tape) around and in the groove where o ring sits. (2 wraps round might be too much actually thinking about it)

Refit the o rings which should now seal a bit tighter within the Intercooler. It worked for me..
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 01:42 AM   #7
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Carefully take the o rings off the connecting ends of hose. Wrap a small amount of the PTFE tape (yes, the white thread tape) around and in the groove where o ring sits. (2 wraps round might be too much actually thinking about it)

Refit the o rings which should now seal a bit tighter within the Intercooler. It worked for me..
are bok,,i thought you meant on the outside,,which would be pointless ha ha
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 02:16 AM   #8
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

did ypou lube the seals when refitting,,lie with oil/silicone or moly paste etc..getting my indy to do it on thursday
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 02:44 AM   #9
P14kle
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Nope.. I didn't lube them up.

It was a free opportunity for me as I had the IC off the car to wash out anyway. It was all I had to hand and it has worked it would seem. 😎
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 10:52 AM   #10
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Nope.. I didn't lube them up.

It was a free opportunity for me as I had the IC off the car to wash out anyway. It was all I had to hand and it has worked it would seem. 😎
when you say..all you had at hand..yoiu mean the ptfe tape yes?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 04:28 PM   #11
P14kle
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yes..
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 09:09 AM   #12
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep

never got it sorted,,its the small turbo oil feed pipe which is leaking,,number 1 out of the 3 oil feed pipes on real oem..so ordered along with 4 copper washers for the banjo bolts..£43 from the thiefs oops i mean bmw,,fit when its here,,easy fit the hose i need,,its the horse shoe shaped one on top of small turbo to the right
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 09:40 AM   #13
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasa bmw View Post
never got it sorted,,its the small turbo oil feed pipe which is leaking,,number 1 out of the 3 oil feed pipes on real oem..so ordered along with 4 copper washers for the banjo bolts..£43 from the thiefs oops i mean bmw,,fit when its here,,easy fit the hose i need,,its the horse shoe shaped one on top of small turbo to the right
fitted new turbo opil feed hose,,hardest part was keeping hold of the bolt with bottome washer on,,had to get the missus to hold turbo heat shoeld up..i lost one of the old copper washers when removing the banjo bolt,,would of used magnet to get it if washer was not made of copper,,probably on underyray.also noticed a return oil hose looked to be leaky,,it has a jubileee clip with a short rubber section,,tightened it up as seemed not very tight,,time will tell if the leaks have stopped,,will have to clean underytray up,,ill just stick an old golf club with a rag tied to the end to wipe away the oil,,cannot be arsed to get under it again just for undertray
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 03:00 PM   #14
Edition
Private
Rep
Drives: 335d

Bmw have replaced mine maybe 6-8 times still weaps.... think I’m going to use it as rust proofing!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 01:15 AM   #15
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edition View Post
Bmw have replaced mine maybe 6-8 times still weaps.... think I’m going to use it as rust proofing!
boost hose?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 03:24 AM   #16
Edition
Private
Rep
Drives: 335d

Yes
Appreciate 0