E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > E91 Tailgate Squeak

02-20-2019, 03:02 PM   #1
BIG01979
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D M Sport Plus Touring

E91 Tailgate Squeak

Hi All, after just over two weeks of ownership I couldn't take the squeaky tailgate on my wife's BMW. I thought it was the gas struts. which I replaced this morning. I thought this would fix problem but it hasn't I still have the squeak. Any ideas on a fix? I sprayed the hinges with lithium grease but the swueak us still there.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 03:13 PM   #2
gaz_ball
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG01979 View Post
Hi All, after just over two weeks of ownership I couldn't take the squeaky tailgate on my wife's BMW. I thought it was the gas struts. which I replaced this morning. I thought this would fix problem but it hasn't I still have the squeak. Any ideas on a fix? I sprayed the hinges with lithium grease but the swueak us still there.
Does it have a pan roof? I thought my tailgate was squeaky until I realised it was the pan roof rubbers (at certain temperatures). With the blind shut it mufflers the sound to make it seem as if it's coming from the rear.

Or is it when opening and closing the tailgate?

Last edited by gaz_ball; 02-20-2019 at 03:38 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2019, 03:14 PM   #3
P14kle
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91

I just spray a small amount of wd40 or such on the shaft of the gas struts every so often and it seems to quieten them down for a while! I also do the hinges at the same time.
Only lasts a month or 2 at best....
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 04:08 PM   #4
BIG01979
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaz_ball View Post
Quote:
Does it have a pan roof? I thought my tailgate was squeaky until I realised it was the pan roof rubbers (at certain temperatures). With the blind shut it mufflers the sound to make it seem as if it's coming from the rear.

Quote:
Quote:

I have the pan roof. it's when I open and close it.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 04:18 PM   #5
BIG01979
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

I have the pan roof. it's when I open and close it.
Great news no more squeak. The lithium spray worked.
Appreciate 0