E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > are you hanging on to your manual due to lack of new ones?

01-16-2019, 04:59 PM   #23
MGT81
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Yup, sort of. Especially after learning that a manual won’t be available in the new 3-series
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 07:43 AM   #24
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBlackBimmer View Post
I wonder this every time I drop my car off for work- usually a BMW dealer or a BMW-specific Indy shop.
I always think, they send some 18year old kid out there, he gets in, and doesn't even know how the start my car, let alone drive a stick without burning up the clutch.
I also sometimes wonder if they take turns driving it, because it is a stick, or use it as a test vehicle to "see who can drive a stick"
... I am somewhat joking, but also somewhat serious.
I love my manual and yes automatics are great nowadays, are faster, more reliable, cheaper, etc, etc etc.... but there is no replacement for the amount of engagement having 3 real pedals gives you. Knowing you can "money shift" your car and absolutely trash the transmission. And rowing through the gears on a spirited back-road drive.
The fact that the new 3-series doesn't offer a stick is crazy to think. I can only imagine if they pull this with the new M3... Which, in a reality is inevitable to happen.

#SAVETHEMANUALS

...where in PA are you? What dealer do you use?
lol I bought my car from the dealer that is closest to the city (Phila), but I had had enough this Dec. They have "the" best location hands down, but have had an attitude as long as I have owned my 335i, so since 12/06. I can't recommend them at all. Then, I work in NJ--I can't recommend that dealer either, terrible, the one that is in a place where the first word of the town is "Mount," and the second word in the town beings with a L and the second and third letters are "au."

The one that I have never had a problem at and you can get a loaner tomorrow, is in Doylestown. Was it smart to drive 38 miles and not 4, to get my state inspection? Maybe not, but my buddy who knows all the details said he would have done the same..... lol

I kid you not because I am emissions exempt, the inspection was like $24 plus tax. Nuts. You know how they say you can't choose your in-laws and relatives? You can't seem to choose where the good BMW dealers are in relation to where you live.

Now since I have owned a Lexus since 2016, I can tell you on a scale of 100, their customer service is about a 95. BUT, their work is about a 40, and the prices are stupid expensive! If only you could combine the best of the two cos.

But as mentioned, I really lament the no stick available on new cars. If they say no more sticks on Corvettes and 911s, I dunno what to say to that!
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2019, 07:52 AM   #25
neilvan
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i M-Sport 6MT RWD

Garage List
One of the reasons I got mine (I also only drive manual) and my father got his.

Its a reasonably well designed and sporty chassis/car with a 6spd and RWD + the option of no tech/nav/driver assist packages. Good luck finding anything like that past 2010

The one thing I don't get is the cars that are still being offered as manual are the base models. Generally the people still buying manual want the better engine/more HP and the sport packages etc. Why not just offer a manual on the higher version/sport models(and wagon too please).
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 09:33 AM   #26
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilvan View Post
One of the reasons I got mine (I also only drive manual) and my father got his.

Its a reasonably well designed and sporty chassis/car with a 6spd and RWD + the option of no tech/nav/driver assist packages. Good luck finding anything like that past 2010

The one thing I don't get is the cars that are still being offered as manual are the base models. Generally the people still buying manual want the better engine/more HP and the sport packages etc. Why not just offer a manual on the higher version/sport models(and wagon too please).
BMW thinks that the ONLY buyers who want an antiquated 3-pedal manual transmission car where you have to put down your phone to drive, are M-car owners. There are some long-time BMW brand aficionados who don't need to measure their dick with the 13th letter of the alphabet and don't want to spend $70K on a car that is over-powered for street use, they just like the art of manually shifting gears...

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 01-18-2019 at 05:05 AM..
Appreciate 2
slupie101.00
feuer4275.50
      01-17-2019, 09:54 AM   #27
neilvan
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i M-Sport 6MT RWD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
BMW thinks that the ONLY buyers who want an antiquated 3-pedal manual transmission car that you have to put down your phone to drive are M-car owners. There are some long-time BMW brand afficinados who don't need to measure their dick with the 13th letter of the alphabet and don't want to spend $70K on a car that is over-powered for street use, they just like the art of manually shifting gears...
My point was more of say a 340i with a sport package vs absolute base model/base options

Only 2 "luxury" brands now still sell manuals. Audi just dropped theirs so it is Cadillac and Genesis. Sadly the genesis only comes manual in the 2.0T and not the 3.3T. The ATS comes manual in the 2.0T and the ATS-V but I expect them to drop manuals by the next model update.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 10:00 AM   #28
scotty2293
Rep
Drives: F31 M Sport Diesel Alpine W

Well I am keeping my 6 Speed 328 Xi Wagon M sport .... the perfect all rounder in my opinion
Appreciate 1
slupie101.00
      01-17-2019, 11:16 AM   #29
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My point was more of say a 340i with a sport package vs absolute base model/base options

Only 2 "luxury" brands now still sell manuals. Audi just dropped theirs so it is Cadillac and Genesis. Sadly the genesis only comes manual in the 2.0T and not the 3.3T. The ATS comes manual in the 2.0T and the ATS-V but I expect them to drop manuals by the next model update.
The G20 will be devoid of a manual in the US. Even in Europe, as you state, it will be the 316/320 that will have a manual.

I think Cadillac and now Genisis have both made a marketing error not spec'ing a manual for the ATS and G70. Had the ATS came with a manual with the NA V6, I would have bought one in 2013.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 01:27 PM   #30
sleepydinosaur
Private
Rep
Drives: E91 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbp6us View Post
DCT > *
Single ratio gearbox > complex automated gearbox
      01-17-2019, 02:12 PM   #31
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

Quote:

It's not a luxury brand, but I was interested in the new Mazda 6 until I learned that the manual is only available in the base model with the naturally aspirated engine. If the new Accord rear end was not so ugly I would be driving an Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT right now but that alone is preventing me from buying one.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 08:02 PM   #32
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
Yes I’m hanging onto my manual 335 until the wheels fall off. Not my DD and it’s garage kept so hope that will prolong its life. In about 20 years from now (maybe way less) there will be no new cars offered with a conventional manual as it is indeed a dying breed.

And don’t get me started on self driving cars going to be mandated in the future (most likely not in my lifetime) so I’ll be glad that I’ll be six feeet under for that crap.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 10:10 PM   #33
krhodes1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i Touring  [10.00]
I'm pretty done with buying new cars in general. I prefer manuals strongly, and I like wagons that aren't on stilts. I have *zero* use for AWD in a car that will never leave the pavement. I have a near perfect set of cars already, and put less than 10K a year on across all five of them. At 50, I could probably never buy another car again if I wanted. Literally the ONLY new car on the market I have any interest in is the Cayman, but I just can't quite bring myself to spend that much money on a car so single-purpose. Came close as my 50th birthday present to myself, but can't quite do it.

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
'11 128i Convertible - Space Gray on Savannah Beige, 6spd manual,
also '14 Mercedes-Benz E350 wagon, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 2
feuer4275.50
ppointer743.00
      01-17-2019, 10:56 PM   #34
aamodtpw
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 335i xDrive 6MT

In my case, it's fair to say that I actually bought my E92 last year because of a lack of new ones (manual + hydraulic steering).

But yes, especially with recent MT eliminations among cars I would consider, it's fair to say that I am most likely out of the new-car market altogether and keeping at least my newer cars (this BMW and a 2005 MBZ 6MT) going as long as possible. Fortunately, I drive 'em till they drop anyway and have hit 320K on my oldest car ('97 Audi 5MT), so I know what the really long haul looks like (and costs). Parts, legal gas, and absence of catastrophic fails are all I need.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 08:20 PM   #35
lab_rat
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is (#5 of 586)

Quote:
Quote:

The G20 will be devoid of a manual in the US. Even in Europe, as you state, it will be the 316/320 that will have a manual.

I think Cadillac and now Genisis have both made a marketing error not spec'ing a manual for the ATS and G70. Had the ATS came with a manual with the NA V6, I would have bought one in 2013.
IIRC, Genesis planned to offer the G70 with a manual - but will only available on the "sport" trim...which only has the 4 cylinder turbo (no 6 cylinder w/manual option).

Yep...I really should keep my 330i (ZMT/ZSP/ZPP).

I have a feeling (at least with enthusiasts) BMWs built with such a build combo might start to creep up in value in the near future, thanks to the new G series 3er.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17304.50
      01-20-2019, 09:35 PM   #36
Bob Shiftright
Save The Manuals!
Rep
Drives: E91 Schleppwagen

I think the M2 M3 M4 and M6 are still available with manuals.

I gotta applaud BMW marketing! They went from getting people to pay $1000 for an automatic transmission to getting people to pay $25,000 to $50,000 if they want to shift for themselves! Genius!

As for me -- my BMW has close to 30K miles so it should last for a few more years. I usually try to keep my cars as long as I can.

If I needed a new car tomorrow -- VW and Honda are still keeping the faith, for now at least. The Hyundai Genesis G70 manual looks interesting but I haven't even seen one.

I have 213K on my '98 Volvo T5 5-speed wagon. I just replaced the clutch pedal for the second or third time this morning. (It still has it's original clutch.) A little secret is that cars with manuals seem to last a lot longer than the autoshifters do.

The mileage difference between my cars is because I began telecommuting right before I bought the BMW.
2008 E91 36K, 6-speed, RWD, Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Euro split armrest, Lidatek, remote V-1, Cocomats, beach sand, $10 clutch stop mod. 1998 Volvo V70T5 226K, 5-speed, original clutch (third clutch pedal!), aspheric driver's mirror, E-code headlights, IPD sway bar, strut tower brace & skidplate.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 09:38 PM   #37
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

You could prolly just find one on eBay for your make and model. Sort of like touch up paint. Or just google the sections you want to read. There’s prolly a TIF somewhere
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 10:10 PM   #38
dleccord
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i E90

I am the original owner of my 07 335 with production date of 10/06 I bought it directly from the production floor and it was one of the very first 335I manuals in the US. It now has 168K miles on it, and I plan to do marathon maintenance on the car this spring since it had some oil leaks and need new shocks and stuff, I want to keep this car running well since it is joy to drive.
Appreciate 1
dwashy64.50
      01-28-2019, 04:59 PM   #39
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
lol I bought my car from the dealer that is closest to the city (Phila), but I had had enough this Dec. They have "the" best location hands down, but have had an attitude as long as I have owned my 335i, so since 12/06. I can't recommend them at all. Then, I work in NJ--I can't recommend that dealer either, terrible, the one that is in a place where the first word of the town is "Mount," and the second word in the town beings with a L and the second and third letters are "au."

The one that I have never had a problem at and you can get a loaner tomorrow, is in Doylestown. Was it smart to drive 38 miles and not 4, to get my state inspection? Maybe not, but my buddy who knows all the details said he would have done the same..... lol

I kid you not because I am emissions exempt, the inspection was like $24 plus tax. Nuts. You know how they say you can't choose your in-laws and relatives? You can't seem to choose where the good BMW dealers are in relation to where you live.

Now since I have owned a Lexus since 2016, I can tell you on a scale of 100, their customer service is about a 95. BUT, their work is about a 40, and the prices are stupid expensive! If only you could combine the best of the two cos.

But as mentioned, I really lament the no stick available on new cars. If they say no more sticks on Corvettes and 911s, I dunno what to say to that!
Welcome to Doylestown and I can tell the dealer was not always great, much better today but when order and I bough my 335i on 10/06 at NJ dealer since the local one would not deal and wanted to sell me the AT on the lots I went elsewhere. Then when I went to have it service they gave me crap since I did not buy it there even though it was still under the warranty and maintenance. When BMWNA call to ask about my experience I told them my Ford dealer treated me better. After that the experience has been better but the SA's have no ideas about the cars and they treat people which most people who shop in Doylestown fit which is they have not clues about cars.

What I did learn later the Dtown dealer does not deal since they give you lots of extras, like free towing, free loaner cars for any of the dealerships, they will come and pick up and drop off you car when you need, free state inspection for any of your cars (yeah they trying to find things wrong to charge you $130/hr to fix), not emission. They are other things they will do. If you see value in this then its is probably worth paying full price.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 05:05 PM   #40
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleccord View Post
I am the original owner of my 07 335 with production date of 10/06 I bought it directly from the production floor and it was one of the very first 335I manuals in the US. It now has 168K miles on it, and I plan to do marathon maintenance on the car this spring since it had some oil leaks and need new shocks and stuff, I want to keep this car running well since it is joy to drive.
is there a reason you quoted me and did not say anything?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 05:44 PM   #41
09Monaco335i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco 335i xDrive

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Is it just the US/NA market where they are no longer offering manual transmission on the 3-series? What about in Europe? If manual transmission is still offered in Europe, I wonder if US/NA customers could order one via the European Delivery Program? (i.e. purchase in Germany, then ship to the US)

https://www.bmwusa.com/european-delivery.html

Last edited by 09Monaco335i; 01-28-2019 at 05:45 PM.. Reason: added link
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 09:26 PM   #42
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09Monaco335i View Post
Is it just the US/NA market where they are no longer offering manual transmission on the 3-series? What about in Europe? If manual transmission is still offered in Europe, I wonder if US/NA customers could order one via the European Delivery Program? (i.e. purchase in Germany, then ship to the US)

https://www.bmwusa.com/european-delivery.html
It would have to pass US crash standards. Since BMW is not going to crash test the manual transmission version in the US, you couldn't import it from Germany until 2044.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 09:59 PM   #43
OTO335i
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335I

Great topic actually! It's quite sad to see the manual transmission dying in north America. This is the reason why I'm having so much trouble wanting to part with my car, I've never owned an automatic car in the 12+ cars I've owned and as much as i find my 335 not practical i still want to keep it just because its manual and it's a blast to drive. I've been debating getting rid of it but if i do, the chances are that my next car would be a subaru legacy 3.6r which isn't available in manual at all.. And I'm not sure im ready for that yet!
      01-30-2019, 07:15 AM   #44
gde061
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi coupe

Quote:
It would have to pass US crash standards. Since BMW is not going to crash test the manual transmission version in the US, you couldn't import it from Germany until 2044.
The other impediment is the EPA regulatory stuff about mandatory gas mileage. I don't know the exact details -- i.e., whether it's an actual REAL difference, or just an administrative rule the government technocrats cooked up -- but I was told by the Subaru dealer when we went to lease my wife a legacy that the reason you can't get a M/T in the USA is that they won't certify the gas mileage.

To me that makes not too much sense, because M/T's were always given slightly better gas mileage ratings in "average" conditions that the A/T counterpart. But that was back in the days before they were putting 10-speed gearboxes in the A/T, and a six speed manual overdrive was more efficient obviously than a 4-speed auto.

It also makes not too much sense because seriously a Subaru legacy isn't exactly a gas guzzler. But maybe they don't want to deal with the hassle of doing a separate EPA certification, which probably costs $$$ to the company, like the crash test ratings. And the ultimate killer of the M/T is the "investment" in self driving technology. All that "auto shut-off" for red light (complete garbage feature having had it on a rental, just wanted keep rolling at every stop sign... the code that runs this stuff was written by city boys who probably don't even have a drivers licence!) and adaptive cruise control... they don't work unless the computer has control over the gearbox.

As for having a manual, it's the only reason I got my E92. While it's true they can make "sport" autos that shift faster, I think most paddle shifters are crappy and slow to shift. It is most apparent when you are driving an underpowered family car, wanting to get more torque on a hill or in a corner, and the fat whale car wants to put top priority on your MPG's. Gas is freaking cheap and global warming scientists have the credibility of PT Barnum in my book for doing all kinds of crooked stuff with their data and thug type stuff to their peers. I just traded a 22 MPG 2007 car for a 2015 mini-van that gets 14 MPG. And nobody is buying minivans because they are buying 10 MPG 3-row SUV's. But you can't get a light car with a manual because it's going to end the world with *unknown* fuel consumption. BTW, you can get the legacy with the M/T in Canada, but if you bring it to the USA, they won't honor the warranty.

Last edited by gde061; 01-30-2019 at 07:23 AM..
Appreciate 0