E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > 2 filter changes per complete oil change interval

04-15-2012, 02:55 PM   #1
Casca
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT

2 filter changes per complete oil change interval

Wondering if there is any point to change out the filter at a higher interval rate than the filter+oil. Like change only the filter at 6k miles and then at 12k miles, change filter+oil. At $10ish for a filter, it's pretty cheap to do and with our motors, a very simple remove/replace.

Filters are designed to catch all the bad crap, the expensive oils we use are made to last a very long time. There is probably a point where the oil is still good to go, but the filter is mostly worthless. Any opinions?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 04:58 PM   #2
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Filters are.well built. I don't know how much more filtration your gaining.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 06:15 PM   #3
Casca
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT

I think the filters in BMW's are great too, but their job is to filter dirty oil and at some point may become saturated enough that it goes into by-pass and you're no longer filtering. I have been doing short (7ish K miles) OCI and haven't seen any of my filters look like the ones in these links, but I am not sure what the minimum look is for a partially/completely saturated filter.

http://www.autoscope.net/car-news/bm...mance-vehicle/

http://www.munichmotorsport.com/wordpress/?page_id=416

http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/a...000-miles.html

I have been thinking of going to a 10k or even a 12k OCI, because BMW LL oil isn't cheap and also because the oil is good for those miles. I am just not sure the filter is, but $10 for a filter change at the halfway milage of the full OCI is a lot easier to swallow than doing a full OCI at low miles. But you're right, probably not needed. Next oil change, I'll run boroscope through the motor to see how bad the sludge is. And honestly after seeing the pics of those links I searched for, I might just stay at the 7k OCI and do a filter only change at 3500 lol
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 09:06 PM   #4
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

So these pictures have been travelling around the net for a long time. These are pictures with advice from guess who, a German auto service company!

I have previously posted pictures of my engine valve train through the oil filler hole and my car, with 173,000 miles and an average 17,500 mile OCIs, has no sludge. My OEM filters have never had any thing than normal contamination on them. The problem with BMW's cartridge system is you actually see the filter element where most people are only accustomed to can-type filters and never see how dirty the actual filter element gets, and it scares them.

Changing the filter out midway between oil services can't hurt unless you’re not careful and not wipe down the outside of the housing before opening it.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 10:13 PM   #5
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
whats the piont of that....local stores like autozone and advance auto always have LL01 approve oils for sale, making a complete oil change cost less than $50 if you DIY
for $50, just change oil and filter all together

dont just change your underwear, take a shower and change your underwear LOL
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 10:25 AM   #6
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casca View Post
I think the filters in BMW's are great too, but their job is to filter dirty oil and at some point may become saturated enough that it goes into by-pass and you're no longer filtering. I have been doing short (7ish K miles) OCI and haven't seen any of my filters look like the ones in these links, but I am not sure what the minimum look is for a partially/completely saturated filter.

http://www.autoscope.net/car-news/bm...mance-vehicle/

http://www.munichmotorsport.com/wordpress/?page_id=416

http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/a...000-miles.html

I have been thinking of going to a 10k or even a 12k OCI, because BMW LL oil isn't cheap and also because the oil is good for those miles. I am just not sure the filter is, but $10 for a filter change at the halfway milage of the full OCI is a lot easier to swallow than doing a full OCI at low miles. But you're right, probably not needed. Next oil change, I'll run boroscope through the motor to see how bad the sludge is. And honestly after seeing the pics of those links I searched for, I might just stay at the 7k OCI and do a filter only change at 3500 lol
The only instances I.can think.of where it's running in bypass is if th filter collapsed or you're using a finer filter. OEM filters are fine. I've never seen a UOA on factory interval which showed poor filtration.

BTW those internet pics are old news. Consensus is that the engine was neglected (ie. Coolant leak, Run in excess of factory OCI, run on non-syn oil, or both). It's the same engine (1 or 2) floating around the internet for years.

Last edited by F32Fleet; 04-16-2012 at 10:33 AM..
Appreciate 0