E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Heater Problem (maybe)

12-14-2019, 03:27 AM   #1
Welcro
Rep
Drives: E90

Heater Problem (maybe)

Hi,

I set the A/C temp to 28C (82F, I guess), the highest that it can go, turn the thumbwheel near the hazard light button all the way to the red side, but the car is still blowing out the cold air.

The question is, Is there any chance that this issue might be related to my modified thermostat? I live in Bangkok and the weather here is so freakin hot, it can reach up to 40C or more in summer, so I drilled couples of holes in the thermostat to let some extra coolant to go through the engine all the time without waiting for the temp to reach some point. Anyway, now my car's operating temp is around 90-100C (from which normally it should be around 110-115C, I supposed).

Do you guys think that this might be the cause of the problem? e.g. My engine does not heat enough to make the heater unit produce the hot air for the cabin? (But c'mon it's almost 100C ) Or it's just a broken heater unit? The car is '05 320i Pre-LCI with N46 engine
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 01:42 AM   #2
NewBimmerDriver
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Having a similiar problem here...

I'm driving a 2010 BMW 328i (Heißland edition, for the southern states. It is an import) and bought it in Summer got ripped off probably...
Heater does not work at all!
I've found some posts here saying that it works on the max. temp. setting but it doesn't work for me... I tried all possible settings.
I've also changed the battery.
No difference, what could be the issue?

Please help me...

A costly fix of the heater is not an option for this 105k mls old car...
But maybe it is a small thing? Everything else works fine.
It's blowing (cold) Air and the AC works in summer.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 08:01 AM   #3
e91Owner
e91Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91 & 2010 e60

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBimmerDriver View Post
Having a similiar problem here...

I'm driving a 2010 BMW 328i (Heißland edition, for the southern states. It is an import) and bought it in Summer got ripped off probably...
Heater does not work at all!
I've found some posts here saying that it works on the max. temp. setting but it doesn't work for me... I tried all possible settings.
I've also changed the battery.
No difference, what could be the issue?

Please help me...

A costly fix of the heater is not an option for this 105k mls old car...
But maybe it is a small thing? Everything else works fine.
It's blowing (cold) Air and the AC works in summer.
Have you scanned it for any codes?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 08:25 AM   #4
NewBimmerDriver
Registered
Rep

Yes... no error codes at all atm.
Original BMW Software Tool has been used to scan.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 06:06 PM   #5
e91Owner
e91Owner
United_States
Rep

That would generally mean that it thinks everything is working properly. The only similar thing I've seen is when there was an internal leak between the transmission cooler and the radiator causing the cool to run cooler going through the heater core. Have you logged any of the coolant temperatures to see if they are lower than normal?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 03:28 AM   #6
NewBimmerDriver
Registered
Rep

How do I log the temps?
(I don't know much about cars, a friend read out the codes several times)
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 10:00 AM   #7
e91Owner
e91Owner
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBimmerDriver View Post
How do I log the temps?
(I don't know much about cars, a friend read out the codes several times)
Oh ok. You can do it with a number of OBD tools. ISTA-D, Carly and INPA are all pretty common.

In any case, given that your friend is using some kind of BMW genuine diagnostic tool which would likely be thousands of dollars, wouldn't it make more sense to take the car to him to figure this out? Usually it mechanics have that kind of gear. Unless you have associated codes with a problem, the help on this forum would be pretty limited.

The only last bit you could look at is are the fuses which are behind you glove compartment. It's F7 on mine, but check your labeling.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 12:54 AM   #8
cisf0rcalvin
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI

Garage List
2010 BMW 328i  [8.50]
I had a problem with no heat and it turns out my heater core was plugged. There were no codes.

Check this PDF out from bimmerfest forum. I was able to flush the core and a lot of little bits came out of it. Heat worked great afterwards.

I did not raise the car to do this. I just took out the airbox and unhooked the two hoses from the top and let the coolant drain that way.

Last edited by cisf0rcalvin; 10-31-2020 at 01:00 AM..
Appreciate 0