E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Great Lakes > Official Minnesota Chat Thread

Closed Thread

02-16-2010, 12:45 PM   #111
BSME90
Captain
Philippines
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
2007 328xi  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick.CBR View Post
Anvar,
Please understand that you've reached your max post limit for the Minnesota chat section today (2).
I didn't know Nick was a mod on here.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 01:17 PM   #112
BrianMN
Banned
Rep
Drives: 4 Door Family Sedan

Quote:
In your opinion, do you think the gains (HP/TQ) are on the same level as meth? I understand the safety concern with regard to fire hazard (I don't think it's an issue if mixed correctly) and no failsafe. The PROcede has a pretty cut and dried failsafe system - if the pump is on AND there is meth flow, the system will switch to the meth map at a predetermined RPM. If either of those cases is false, the meth map will not be active.

From what I've seen of the installations that guys have done on here - I assumed that the "proper" way was to remove the cover. Also, it seems most people do end up trimming or cutting at some point. You didn't have to do this with your AMS?

From the boost leak perspective, I would tend to agree with you that most boost leaks do occur from user error on the installation; however, the IC is such a big and important part of the intake system; I'm hesitant to start taking apart what is working perfectly on my car

The bottom line for me, is that meth just really seems like the easier/less painful way to lower charge temps and get some sizable gains. I'd probably be inclined to call it the easy way out for cooler charge temps. It just seems that a lot of guys are running fast without DPs and FMICs - I kinda want to joint the club

This is good discussion though as now that Vishnu builds them to order, I obviously won't have one for some time. Dropping a solid grand on an FMIC doesn't sound fun either. I totally convinced myself that 875 for meth was "ok" to do

Nick
Hey, sorry for the delayed response

Meth will yield MUCH more horsepower/tq than an intercooler will, and an intercooler will only add ~10 hp on a 65 degree day. However, during a 'daily drive' on a 90 degree day, the IATs/engine will really appreciate a FMIC...Meth would do the same, but you don't want to have the meth activate at 1psi...you'd go through it really fast. I just like the fact that my engine is ALWAYS getting cold(er) and consistent IATs and never have to worry about heatsoaking, Even though there aren't many 90 degree days in Minnesota.

You say the IC is a very important part of the system..and you're right! That said, I took the crappy, tiny, poorly designed stock IC off my car the 2nd day I had it

I did have to cut out a bit of my plastic piece for the IC to fit..but that's not a big deal. It will never be noticed.

As for the stock end tanks, I don't hate the HPF design...I just really love the AMS cast end tank design.

And I'm always up for having BMWs in my garage...so when I'm home from college I'll be willing/wanting to assist with anything!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 01:23 PM   #113
IRL-MN
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 | E30 | E28 | E24

Quote:
Maybe?

Dude, M5's are dropping in value like CRAZY! There is one at MW and a few at Minnetonka as well. I wonder what the deal is? Out of warr. and high maint. costs?? Bad MPG's? I'm sure the V10 sucks up the gas...

There is an M6 at Minnetonka but after looking at it, I don't know. Like there is seriously no back set. Not that it matters much to me but I think my E92 has more back seat room then an M6.

Nick
I hear ya, I've not seen anything like the drops in M5 values over the past few months. I think you're right in that it's related to the warranty being up and people being afraid of things going wrong with that V10 and DCT...

Thing is the US has it good when it comes to warranty. In Ireland BMW give you only two years, and no maintenance...
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 01:38 PM   #114
IRL-MN
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMN View Post
Hey, sorry for the delayed response

Meth will yield MUCH more horsepower/tq than an intercooler will, and an intercooler will only add ~10 hp on a 65 degree day. However, during a 'daily drive' on a 90 degree day, the IATs/engine will really appreciate a FMIC...Meth would do the same, but you don't want to have the meth activate at 1psi...you'd go through it really fast. I just like the fact that my engine is ALWAYS getting cold(er) and consistent IATs and never have to worry about heatsoaking, Even though there aren't many 90 degree days in Minnesota.

You say the IC is a very important part of the system..and you're right! That said, I took the crappy, tiny, poorly designed stock IC off my car the 2nd day I had it

I did have to cut out a bit of my plastic piece for the IC to fit..but that's not a big deal. It will never be noticed.

As for the stock end tanks, I don't hate the HPF design...I just really love the AMS cast end tank design.

And I'm always up for having BMWs in my garage...so when I'm home from college I'll be willing/wanting to assist with anything!

Hey Brian, how often do you get out on the track? Is it mostly BIR you go to or is there something more convenient? I'm giving some serious thought to picking up an old M3 or maybe a 944. I need something to work on, I'm bored and need a project but am too afraid to mess with my E92

Anyway, before doing anything, I wanted to hear from someone with some track experience, like how many times you actually get out there etc. Is it even worth it to develop a semi-track car given there aren't any tracks close to the Twin Cities?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 02:06 PM   #115
ajvee
Major
Rep
Drives: None

I am assuming that the stock IC is crappy for track purposes....? What differences might I expect on a daily driven car?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 02:44 PM   #116
BrianMN
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRL-MN View Post
Hey Brian, how often do you get out on the track? Is it mostly BIR you go to or is there something more convenient? I'm giving some serious thought to picking up an old M3 or maybe a 944. I need something to work on, I'm bored and need a project but am too afraid to mess with my E92

Anyway, before doing anything, I wanted to hear from someone with some track experience, like how many times you actually get out there etc. Is it even worth it to develop a semi-track car given there aren't any tracks close to the Twin Cities?
In all reality, I only got out on the track twice with my 335i...I just got it in July. I had a 350z that I did apx 6 track days/year. I'll probably only get out 5-6 times this next summer, depending on my job situation. It might seem like I'm 'prepping' my car for serious track duty, but I'm actually just a bored college student with a nice garage, the school's machine shop, and 4 mech. engineers as roomates....so doing all this is just something to do, haha.

As for developing a track car, I've contemplated that many times as well. I'd say if you have th money and time, go for it! It's all about how much you want to put into it. You can go to a phenomonal track every weekend if you want, but then again, it all comes down to what you want to do. I personally am just doing some track days for fun, but if/when I get a well-paying job I'll try to do more.
Everyone I talk to speaks highly of an E46 M3 for a great all-around track car. You don't have to put too much money into it, and it will be very reliable.
The only tracks I've been to (with my own car) have been BIR, Road America and Autobahn Country Club. They're about 2,4,and 7 hours away from the Twin Cities, respectively.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 02:54 PM   #117
BrianMN
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajvee View Post

I am assuming that the stock IC is crappy for track purposes....? What differences might I expect on a daily driven car?
It's just small, inefficient, and all-around cheap. It truly is restrictive and just doesn't offer enough cooling on hot days.

I didn't notice any noticeable power gains, as it was the first mod I did, but I did notice a significant decline in power when it was above 80 degrees and having a bit of fun. Now with all the engine mods, I'm positive the stock IC would hold back the extra power.

An aftermarket IC is what I'd think should be # 1 after a tune. Imagine the FMIC as a straw, and your lungs as the turbo. The stock is small and restrictive in design; so when you push extra boost, the turbos (lungs) have to work even harder to push enough PSI through the restrictive IC to get to the manifold. The aftermarket ones are Much larger and very well-designed, therfore letting extra air flow through easily; thus making the turbos work less. That might seem like a bad analagy, but it's the best I can think of.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 02:57 PM   #118
BrianMN
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajvee View Post

As for a daily driven, and all-else stock car, I don't think you'll notice a lot in Minnesota. If we were in Phoenix, you'd almost NEED an upgraded FMIC.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 04:34 PM   #119
airwolf878
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i

Quote:
I hear ya, I've not seen anything like the drops in M5 values over the past few months. I think you're right in that it's related to the warranty being up and people being afraid of things going wrong with that V10 and DCT...

Thing is the US has it good when it comes to warranty. In Ireland BMW give you only two years, and no maintenance...
Might also have to do with the next generation M5 coming out soon. People might be waiting for that.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 09:14 PM   #120
ktan
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 M5

someone should buy my M5
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 10:12 PM   #121
IRL-MN
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMN View Post
In all reality, I only got out on the track twice with my 335i...I just got it in July. I had a 350z that I did apx 6 track days/year. I'll probably only get out 5-6 times this next summer, depending on my job situation. It might seem like I'm 'prepping' my car for serious track duty, but I'm actually just a bored college student with a nice garage, the school's machine shop, and 4 mech. engineers as roomates....so doing all this is just something to do, haha.

As for developing a track car, I've contemplated that many times as well. I'd say if you have th money and time, go for it! It's all about how much you want to put into it. You can go to a phenomonal track every weekend if you want, but then again, it all comes down to what you want to do. I personally am just doing some track days for fun, but if/when I get a well-paying job I'll try to do more.
Everyone I talk to speaks highly of an E46 M3 for a great all-around track car. You don't have to put too much money into it, and it will be very reliable.
The only tracks I've been to (with my own car) have been BIR, Road America and Autobahn Country Club. They're about 2,4,and 7 hours away from the Twin Cities, respectively.

I'm kinda of in the same boat, I'm bored and need something to do, but also would like to have some fun with the car. I don't want to sink a large amount of money into it, so the E46 M3s would be more than I would want to spend, an E36 might be more suitable. I can't go to crazy either given it would need to get me reliably to and from the track.

How does Brainerd compare to the WI tracks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktan View Post
someone should buy my M5
Have you any plans for a replacement vehicle?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 07:48 AM   #122
ajvee
Major
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktan View Post
someone should buy my M5
ooooooooh! How much are you looking for it and how many miles?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 10:46 AM   #123
IRL-MN
Major
United_States
Rep

Karting

Any of you guys ever go karting? Are there any decent places in the metro area?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 10:55 AM   #124
BSME90
Captain
Philippines
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
2007 328xi  [9.00]
Quote:
Any of you guys ever go karting? Are there any decent places in the metro area?
I've never been carting but I've heard of one place, ProKarting. They have 2 locations I think, one in Burnsville and other in Maplegrove.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 11:08 AM   #125
BrianMN
Banned
Rep

HaHa, I worked at Prokart maple grove from age 15-20. My best friend is the owner. We can definitely arrange a fun meet there!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 11:52 AM   #126
airwolf878
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i

Prokart is pretty fun. There is also an outdoor karting place west of the metro that I've heard is awesome. http://www.stockholmkartingcenter.com/
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 01:30 PM   #127
IRL-MN
Major
United_States
Rep

This could be a fun activity for our next meet once winter is over. When I was younger there was a mile long outdoor track nearby that was awesome. They had twin engine karts capable of 50+. The open track sessions can get a little boring though, but when there are enough people for actual races it's great fun.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 04:39 PM   #128
nferber
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 335xi

Hey Brian, do you happen to know Tim Mattson? He was good friends with the owner of Pro Kart in MG.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 04:57 PM   #129
BrianMN
Banned
Rep

I think so! I think he was good friends with Ted and Matt Heise? I think he came to a lot of MX races with them?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 08:25 PM   #130
BrianMN
Banned
Rep

I think a meet at Prokart Maple Grove is a very viable and fun idea!!! Hopefully by April the snow will be melted off the outdoor track!

I can get us a smokin deal too
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 09:34 PM   #131
dfries
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: drove: e90 335i

A kart meet sounds like a blast!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 10:32 PM   #132
nferber
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 335xi

Brian, I know he was good friends with Matt. I'm down for a karting meet.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread