E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Great Lakes > Official Minnesota Chat Thread

Closed Thread

02-19-2010, 11:10 PM   #177
IRL-MN
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 | E30 | E28 | E24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajvee View Post
WOW! close to an entire page's worth of action. Porsches, Chipotle, Tools in SRT4s! Man, I've missed out.

I love porsches. Aside from the 911 turbo which is on my list as well, I have a soft spot for the 944 turbo.
It's been a busy night alright!

Can I ask where your front plate mount again?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 11:28 PM   #178
IRL-MN
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick.CBR View Post
lol - no I don't use q-tips on my wheel nuts; however, I did have to bust one out to clean the key hole slot. There was some sort of oil residue on the little door that was bothering me.

Keep in mind though, I wash my car every single day at it is driven so there just really isn't any time for stuff to get dirty. It was kinda funny though when I was at Minnetonka looking at their used cars - some of them were just plain dirty in the cracks and door jambs! I was like, man I couldn't buy this car, it comes dirty.

I do need to have my car buffed though this spring. The daily Mr. Wash soft cloths have put a few light surface scratches in the finish. Totally not a big deal but something I'd like taken care of. I might take Imola up on that. I'm super worried about swirls though...

Nick
So how do you wash everyday? Like a water wash or one of those no-water thingys? Pretty much every used car if ever looked at has had dirt in all the shuts, on the carpet around the seats etc It would seem that they don't bother to detail the car until it's sold

I would definitely recomment Eurodetail. I thought my car was clean when Bob started to work on it, but the difference in how the paint felt afterwards was unbelievable, so much smoother.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 12:51 AM   #179
BrianMN
Banned
Rep
Drives: 4 Door Family Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN BMW View Post
Well, I've been busted for 30% before...So I think I'm gunna go as close to stock as I can maybe 40-50%. Its mainly for the comfort of our new little guy vs. cosmetics.
NOOOOOO You can't even tell when it has 50% on! Also, many brands of 50% tint will bring you down to 45% light going through, which is illegal. Illegal is Illegal, so you might as well go with what you want! The tickets are $130 each time, and you are not 'forced' to take the tint off...just a citation and on your way.

Don't be afraid of Johnny Law!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 12:59 AM   #180
ajvee
Major
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRL-MN View Post
It's been a busy night alright!

Can I ask where your front plate mount again?

http://www.gominigo.com/

There you go!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 02:14 AM   #181
BSME90
Captain
Philippines
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
2007 328xi  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMN View Post
The tickets are $130 each time, and you are not 'forced' to take the tint off...just a citation and on your way.
Don't be afraid of Johnny Law!
Tickets also range in fines. My tint ticket from the state trooper was total after taxes was about $180. On my old Toyota Matrix, I was fined $98 + 11 in taxes (but that was years ago). I'm not afraid of Johnny Law, but instead am afraid of going into bankrupt cuz of these tickets.

EDIT: ECSTuningJoe posted in our meet and pics thread regarding the rear fog lamp switch. Nick weren't you asking about these?

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...1&postcount=50
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 10:29 AM   #182
airwolf878
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i

Quote:
lol, I guess I'm pretty bad alright! Do you use q-tips to clean around your wheel nuts? Sometimes I find myself doing this and wonder what is wrong with me
There is nothing wrong with this!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 01:38 PM   #183
IRL-MN
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
http://www.mistercarwash.com/Unlimit...b/Options.aspx

Gold Express which is 32 bucks/month after tax and then I do a 5 dollar upgrade once a week at the St. Louis Park one to have my floor mats (all weather) sprayed off, interior vac, and all windows (incl. moonroof) wiped down (air freshener if you want).

It's a killer deal. I'm not kidding though, I wash my car every single time it's driven and sometimes TWICE a day (they frown upon this though). I go to the one in EP which is an express only wash. It's takes about 1 minute to run your car though. If I need a second wash, I'll go to the Edina location because it's all automated and you never talk to a person for them to give you a hard time about going twice in a day.

I seriously have this down to a science given my location - there is one near my work in Crumbling Heights (used in extreme situations where I can't make it through the day with a dirty whip), one on the way home (St. Louis Park , used for interior cleaning once a week - they actually wipe the car down, do the tires, and it's awesome - best one in the West metro), another in Edina (this is my second wash of the day location and also used if my car gets dirty between SLP and Edina, or my backup 5 dollar upgrade wash as they run a very close second with SLP in terms of high quality wipe down), and then EP is always my "home base" and I never go twice there The owner guy is really cool and they have a couple of really nice gals there too. As always free vacuums...

I can't recommend this place enough - I have a black car and the only downside is with this much "touch" car wash action I have to keep up on my monthly waxing and probably have a slightly higher amount of surface scratches than someone who washes once a week. I can live with that though since only myself and a few other people actually notice things like that.

In the end I just love watching the car go through the wash as there is so much water that gets put on it I just feel better knowing that clean water is getting into everything helping to keep the car clean. The wash itself is also pretty environmentally friendly as well if you're concerned about that side of things. I've been really happy - I keep telling Anvar this is the way to go as well...

Nick
Wow, I'm impressed! There is no denying that you have a high degree of analness If I end up using my car next winter I'd probably come close to this...
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 01:41 PM   #184
IRL-MN
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just ordered - lol. I've been meaning to do tihs! Thanks for the heads up! 132.08USD it was only two bucks more for 2nd day air UPS so 12 bucks to ship. Not bad. The question is, how long will this switch sit in the box before I install it? lol - it sounds super easy.

I bet I never use it either which is even more funny but hey, I think it's cool and that's all that matters

Nick
That's nearly twice what I paid for the switch! I guess they are harder to find now. Anyway, the install is beyond easy - 5 mins tops.

I've had it on there for about 18 months and have not used it once (despite all the inclement weather I drive in lol), but it's nice to know it there.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 01:41 PM   #185
IRL-MN
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwolf878 View Post
There is nothing wrong with this!
Glad I'm not the only one
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 01:43 PM   #186
IRL-MN
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajvee View Post
Thank you sir! Will have to pick one of these up and see how it looks before making a final decision on whether or not to drill.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 08:09 PM   #187
IRL-MN
Major
United_States
Rep

M-Tech Bumper Fitted

Got my car back today after having the M-Tech / M-Sport front bumper fitted. Finally have the complete kit after fitting the rear and sides last year. Added some black kidney grilles too, they work well with the black lower grilles. Overall I'm very happy with the results

Roll on spring so I can get my winter wheels off
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 08:12 PM   #188
IRL-MN
Major
United_States
Rep

Oh, and anybody know where I can get a 1/18 scale M-Tech kit to keep this bad boy up to date with my changes?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 08:48 PM   #189
IRL-MN
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Wow, Gary - that looks realyl really good. I love that front cover. Did the mesh part come black or did it need to be painted as well? Who did you have do the work?

Did they say how bad it was to fit the front headlight washers? Hopefully they were tested - I had my front cover painted and the first time I hit the switch, the covers flew off - lol

It really does look nice. I really like the side skirts on the m-sport kit... Can't wait to see it with the new wheels as well!

Nick

Thanks man! All of the mesh is black plastic, so no paint required.

I had the work done by Rogers Master Collision in Bloomington. They are right across the street from Motorwerks, and do like 90% of their work, so they know Bimmers! There are always quite a few in the shop. I got a new set of washers even though the old ones fit, just in case something happened like you described! I haven't tried them yet as I didn't want to spray the nice clean car with washer fluid, so I guess I'll find out in April if they are ok

Man, I took American Blvd to Hwy 100 to avoid getting the fresh paint sandblasted on 494 and I ended up having to drive thru a nasty salty muddy puddle. I now officially have a dirty car as I can't take it thru a car wash yet
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 09:54 PM   #190
IRL-MN
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Wet road and/or salt/sand blasting avoidance this time of year is the most frustrating thing in the world. I mean for me, I just have to either suck it up and not care (that the healthy thing to do), or drive my truck (which right now the driver door is STUCK SHUT). Today I'm like driving all over the place trying to find dry roads and it finally just came to a point where I was like this is the dumbest thing in the world - just drive the friggen car!

I hear ya on the new paint - you can go and wash it though - not going to harm anything. They tell you that to cover their ass but honestly a car wash isn't going to hurt anything. I mean when I worked at a body shop in the south east metro, we had to wash fresh paint every single day - how else are you going to get the customers' car clean after being in the body shop for a week? The big thing is getting it dry so you don't get any hard water spots etched into the paint even then that's not a big deal as they can be taken care of pretty easily with even wax.

As long as you don't put fresh paint under a hard water sprinkler system and let it sit in the sun all day you're going to be fine. That would drive me nuts though - go wash your car

Nick

Yup, I found myself looking for dry roads today and the weekend of the meet. It's gonna be tough from now on given all the melting, so I'm hoping I'll get to the point of saying screw it sometime soon, I'm not quite there yet though

Speaking of hard water spots, I parked my old E90 at an apt complex in Edina a few years back not knowing the sprinklers were about to come on. The hard water marks were near impossible to get of the paint and glass. The water in EP sucks too, I go to Mpls to wash my car because of it!

I recently saw a post on here somewhere that went something like - not driving your BMW is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable for a future boyfriend. That gave me a chuckle
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 09:55 PM   #191
MN BMW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 Montego 328

Looks great Gary! What wheels did you decide to go with?
      02-20-2010, 10:00 PM   #192
IRL-MN
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Looks great Gary! What wheels did you decide to go with?
Thanks Brad! I'm nearly positive I'm going with the VMR VB3, 19'' in hypersilver. I cannot wait for spring!

Are you looking at new summer wheels?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 10:20 PM   #193
MN BMW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 Montego 328

Quote:
Thanks Brad! I'm nearly positive I'm going with the VMR VB3, 19'' in hypersilver. I cannot wait for spring!

Are you looking at new summer wheels?
Perhaps! I can never decide. I like CSLs, but I've always liked doing things a little different...I'd love to score some Alpina Classics. However the VMR V709s might achive the same look.
http://www.velocitymotoring.com/wheels_v709.html

I've only seen them on Audis which has me wondering about fitment. But I've seen guys on e90 post that run M3 wheels that also look nice. Who knows! My mind changes daily! In fact you should look at running some M wheels to compliment your new front end!
      02-20-2010, 10:41 PM   #194
IRL-MN
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah man I get so much pleasure outta using my car. I mean I like to keep it clean 'n stuff but she gets dirty and that's part of the deal I guess. Right now I'm starting to get spring feaver so I love to get out and maybe even open the roof

My truck is so old and so slow and such an eye sore that driving the BMW is always a treat! Like today I had it out and was just driving it - not hard but not easy. I just love the power and how it revs, the brakes are nice, it handles well, I mean they're just such great cars!

I did some maint. tonight as well - actually took off the air filters cleaned and oiled them. I've never actually cleaned a reusable filter before. Always sold the car first - lol. Also got the wheel balance checked again. I think discount is sick of me - lol. He's like man these things are right on - not much closer we're going to get it. So there's another thing I guess I have to be less picky about. I'm starting to think that my tires just might have a little shake in them and that's the deal. I mean it's not bad at all just between 75-80 there's a slight shake. Oh well... Have you decided on tires?

Nick
I had the roof open today for the first time too. Even though it was a little chilly, I could feel some nice heat from the sun on my bald head. I look forward to every commute and trip when I use the bimmer, but after 3 months of using a Fusion I am so looking forward to getting back into the bimmer. It's just such a nice place to be.

A shimmy is f-ing annoying, espcially when you are the only one who can feel it! I had a similar experience after fitting new tires where I kept thinking I could feel something, but the tire guys said all was good. Maybe there was nothing there, or maybe it was my analness and they couldn't notice, I had to try hard to put it out of my mind. Anyway, isn't 75-80 over the speed limit

I'm not sure on the tires yet. As much as I'd like Michelin PS2s, I can't justify the cost for the kind of driving we see here in MN. Most of the time I'm stuck in traffic on 494 or 62, with no twisties to have fun anywhere close. I'll probably look at something middle of the road like a Conti, Goodyear, BFG etc How do your BFGs perform?

Oh and let's see some pics of this truck of yours!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 10:47 PM   #195
IRL-MN
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Perhaps! I can never decide. I like CSLs, but I've always liked doing things a little different...I'd love to score some Alpina Classics. However the VMR V709s might achive the same look.
http://www.velocitymotoring.com/wheels_v709.html

I've only seen them on Audis which has me wondering about fitment. But I've seen guys on e90 post that run M3 wheels that also look nice. Who knows! My mind changes daily! In fact you should look at running some M wheels to compliment your new front end!
Those V709s are sweet, but from looking at their site, they may not fit a BMW as the pcd needs to be 5 x 120. Worth asking the question though, as they would look good on your car!

I know the CSLs are kinda played out on this forum, but I rarely see an E92 on the roads here, let alone one with CSLs I've spent many hours perusing this forum for ideas, but I always come back to the CSLs. Some of the other OEM designs like the Performance and M styles are tasty, but they are so expensive and just as susceptible to pothole damage from my experience.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 11:02 PM   #196
IRL-MN
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Here's my 1991 GMC Jimmy "coupe" (lol). Bought it about 7 years ago when I was in college - awesome truck!

She's got 192K on the clock - basically the drivetrain is solid as rock. 4WD works flawless, engine runs awesome, it will get 17 MPG's, and most importantly is the "primary" vehicle on my insurance

Nick

I think there is a rod hung up in the door causing it to not unlatch. I've had to break into it numerous times and I'm sure digging around in there messed something up and now I'm getting burned for it Here's a pic from this summer:
Cool truck with some character! All these modern SUVs look the same... I prob shouldn't ask why you broke into it
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 11:28 PM   #197
IRL-MN
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Wow that was a lot of rambling... You'd think I live on s15jimmy_beaters.net or something...

Nick

So you had to hot wire it once you got inside then?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 11:45 PM   #198
BSME90
Captain
Philippines
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
2007 328xi  [9.00]
Quote:
Here's my 1991 GMC Jimmy "coupe" (lol). Bought it about 7 years ago when I was in college - awesome truck!

She's got 192K on the clock - basically the drivetrain is solid as rock. 4WD works flawless, engine runs awesome, it will get 17 MPG's, and most importantly is the "primary" vehicle on my insurance
Wow, 192k! I had an old neighbor that had a GMC Jimmy Typhoon. That was a sweet truck!

I am dropping off my car at Motorworks this coming monday. Lately it's been idling weird whenever at stop lights and also it's leaking windshield washer fluid. I found a giant puddle in my garage.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread