E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Building a perfect performance exhaust that didnt make me sound like I was 16, by Rob

07-05-2019, 08:49 PM   #1
Viralblack
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

Building a perfect performance exhaust that didnt make me sound like I was 16, by Rob

I started this journey looking for what, in my humble opinion, was the best of both worlds for exhaust sound and exhaust performance while tempering that goal with a bit more realism. A friend once told me about my wing "Its perfect, it says "Im in my 30s and have a career" and that was kinda the route I wanted to go with the sound.

I started with a VRSF 3" Catless Downpipe and really enjoyed the sound, but I noticed that I didnt spool like some videos I had found with various exhausts. The forums and everyone online seems to unilaterally chant "Muffler Delete" which coming from the NA world seems rather a bad plan.

After the downpipes and a few other upgrades I revisited the exhaust and did the Vibrant Resonator plan laid out on one of the forums. I used two Vibrant 1141s and two Vibrant 1792s in place of the midpipe cats and rear muffler. At first, the sound was absolutely amazing. I loved everything about it. Only one drawback was that it droned in ways that I honestly have never heard a car do before.

Everything vibrated and the drone at 800-2100rpm was so bad it interfered with music in the car. It was intolerably loud inside the car.

Best I can tell, the muffler delete is likely amazing for those who have not done the cat deletes, to me anyway, thats all I can figure. Either that or everyone elses version of "Doesnt drone that bad" is completely out of sync with my own.

I ended up going backwards slightly and keeping the midpipe resonators in place of the midpipe cats and swapping the stock muffler back in with the flaps fixed open.

Zero drone, Zero unnatural backpressure, mountains of spool. To me, the perfect compromise.

(The mrs commented that its just a little deeper in person than in recordings, I did the best I could. A powered condenser mic at 8 feet seemed to have the best tone and sound quality)

https://youtu.be/_AFmHDvitjY
Appreciate 1
tisdrew97.50
      07-08-2019, 12:34 AM   #2
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralblack View Post
I started this journey looking for what, in my humble opinion, was the best of both worlds for exhaust sound and exhaust performance while tempering that goal with a bit more realism. A friend once told me about my wing "Its perfect, it says "Im in my 30s and have a career" and that was kinda the route I wanted to go with the sound.

I started with a VRSF 3" Catless Downpipe and really enjoyed the sound, but I noticed that I didnt spool like some videos I had found with various exhausts. The forums and everyone online seems to unilaterally chant "Muffler Delete" which coming from the NA world seems rather a bad plan.

After the downpipes and a few other upgrades I revisited the exhaust and did the Vibrant Resonator plan laid out on one of the forums. I used two Vibrant 1141s and two Vibrant 1792s in place of the midpipe cats and rear muffler. At first, the sound was absolutely amazing. I loved everything about it. Only one drawback was that it droned in ways that I honestly have never heard a car do before.

Everything vibrated and the drone at 800-2100rpm was so bad it interfered with music in the car. It was intolerably loud inside the car.

Best I can tell, the muffler delete is likely amazing for those who have not done the cat deletes, to me anyway, thats all I can figure. Either that or everyone elses version of "Doesnt drone that bad" is completely out of sync with my own.

I ended up going backwards slightly and keeping the midpipe resonators in place of the midpipe cats and swapping the stock muffler back in with the flaps fixed open.

Zero drone, Zero unnatural backpressure, mountains of spool. To me, the perfect compromise.

(The mrs commented that its just a little deeper in person than in recordings, I did the best I could. A powered condenser mic at 8 feet seemed to have the best tone and sound quality)

https://youtu.be/_AFmHDvitjY
You need to put either 335is or PE mufflers on. Then you'll have an even better exhaust
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 08:01 AM   #3
dublin14
Banned
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i- F150 FX4- Audi A4

I have MMP dps, kept rear cats, PE axle back. Still not happy. Amazing sound 90% of the time. No drone really, but.... that rasp.at 5000 rpm is not my fav. Thats my last hurdle and I think a single exhaust is the answer.
Appreciate 1
      07-08-2019, 03:06 PM   #4
Donutz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

You could start throwing resonators at it. Modifying your exhaust can be a downward spiral. I've been down that hole with other cars... My advice is if you're truly happy 90% of the time then leave it as is since most of the time you're happy with it. But if you have the time and money, and don't mind doing and redoing work then go to town on it. On my last car I changed everything multiple times to get the sound I wanted and in the end I was very happy with the results (wasn't pleased about the costs).
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 01:25 AM   #5
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dublin14 View Post
I have MMP dps, kept rear cats, PE axle back. Still not happy. Amazing sound 90% of the time. No drone really, but.... that rasp.at 5000 rpm is not my fav. Thats my last hurdle and I think a single exhaust is the answer.
Try Resonators in place of secondaries?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 07:23 AM   #6
tisdrew
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

So I got my current exhaust for cheap from someone going back to stock and it's similar to what you have.

1. vrsf catless dp
2. vibrant resonators replacing secondary cats
3. PE mod on muffler

Simple, cheap, and retains a decent Jekyll-Hyde impression off vs on throttle.
      07-11-2019, 05:52 AM   #7
Viralblack
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tisdrew View Post
So I got my current exhaust for cheap from someone going back to stock and it's similar to what you have.

1. vrsf catless dp
2. vibrant resonators replacing secondary cats
3. PE mod on muffler

Simple, cheap, and retains a decent Jekyll-Hyde impression off vs on throttle.
That's basically what this is now, minus the pe mod
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 10:50 AM   #8
dublin14
Banned
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i- F150 FX4- Audi A4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
Try Resonators in place of secondaries?
I already have a hard time with the fumes. I have to keep the rear cats. Thats the problem.
Appreciate 0