E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Where to run RCA cables

01-12-2021, 01:16 PM   #1
sfarisminhas
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 Saloon 2011

Where to run RCA cables

Hi guys. Just want to know where do you run your RCA cables from your head unit?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 01:43 PM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

What head unit the stock one or and aftermarket one?
and to which of the three common systems?
stereo no amp
Hi Fi stock six channel amp
Top Hi Fi 9 channel amp with optic input
Individual auto 9 channel amp with optic input
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 01:51 PM   #3
sfarisminhas
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Aftermarket
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 10:21 PM   #4
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

Is everything aftermarket ?
Did you buy and aftermarket amp?
Does the car have a stock amp?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 12:03 PM   #5
sfarisminhas
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
Is everything aftermarket ?
Did you buy and aftermarket amp?
Does the car have a stock amp?
Everything is aftermarket. Right now, I'm running the RCA's down the centre console at the moment for one particular reason that I'll explain once I get more responses of where people are running theirs. 😁
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 12:53 PM   #6
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

https://technicpnp.com/

If you go aftermarket it's really up to you .

I suspect you did not have and amp and had the base system.

Most people run off the existing wiring to save work and time .

base system wiring pre/post 3/09
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...tDpLJPcGkw_ui_
http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...1&d=1411521234
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 01:11 PM   #7
sfarisminhas
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I had the base system. The reason I ask about the RCA's is because intuitively, you'd want to run the RCA's down the left hand side of the car (in the UK) and tie it in with the factory wiring. What I had noticed though is that the RCA's picked up noise whenever I put my foot on the brake, to avoid that, I moved the RCA's to the centre console.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 09:23 AM   #8
bmw335ie90
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfarisbradistan View Post
I had the base system. The reason I ask about the RCA's is because intuitively, you'd want to run the RCA's down the left hand side of the car (in the UK) and tie it in with the factory wiring. What I had noticed though is that the RCA's picked up noise whenever I put my foot on the brake, to avoid that, I moved the RCA's to the centre console.
I ran my RCAs under the dash tray under the steering wheel and along the left side underneath the carpet. I did not get any noise when pressing brake.

I have heard mention of the same problem you had so I was cautious. My RCAs are not loomed with any existing wires, i kept everything separate to avoid interference.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 11:26 AM   #9
E92x7z
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 330

always and only centrally under the gear lever and the console if not only on the left of the right threshold of the BMW there is a power cable

i talk to left hand drive ! not know for UK cars
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 11:48 AM   #10
sfarisminhas
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

On UK cars the positive cable is down the right hand side of the car. I assume it's the same in the US and mainland Europe. Is the fuse panel on the left or the right on left hand drive cars? I suspect it may be picking up the noise from all the factory loom that it's in contact with. To completely avoid all of that, I ran the RCA's down the centre console on the passenger side under the carpet, thus bypassing any factory wiring altogether. Just means extra work when running the cables. I don't think it matters on the brand of cable too. I'm running stinger 4000 series, which is a good quality cable.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 11:14 PM   #11
bmw335ie90
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
On UK cars the positive cable is down the right hand side of the car. I assume it's the same in the US and mainland Europe. Is the fuse panel on the left or the right on left hand drive cars? I suspect it may be picking up the noise from all the factory loom that it's in contact with. To completely avoid all of that, I ran the RCA's down the centre console on the passenger side under the carpet, thus bypassing any factory wiring altogether. Just means extra work when running the cables. I don't think it matters on the brand of cable too. I'm running stinger 4000 series, which is a good quality cable.
Im running the same RCAs as you, they are a twister pair type of cable. I read that these are good for canceling noise in signals that are balanced differential (like the stock head unit). Did you by chance try any other RCAs that didn't advertise 'twister pair'?

Your aftermarket head unit might be using normal RCA outputs which would get better noise reduction from shielded cables (as opposed to a twisted pair cable).

My car is LHD and has fuse box under glove box on right, with the main power cable also on the right.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 08:48 AM   #12
sfarisminhas
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335ie90 View Post
Quote:
Im running the same RCAs as you, they are a twister pair type of cable. I read that these are good for canceling noise in signals that are balanced differential (like the stock head unit). Did you by chance try any other RCAs that didn't advertise 'twister pair'?

Your aftermarket head unit might be using normal RCA outputs which would get better noise reduction from shielded cables (as opposed to a twisted pair cable).

My car is LHD and has fuse box under glove box on right, with the main power cable also on the right.
Previously the headunit I was running them from was Pioneer DEH 80PRS, prior to that I had a Pioneer SPH DA120. I currently have the Sony XAV AX8050. With both Pioneer units I had experienced the noise, hence why I moved the RCA's to the console area. Now I don't know which is the lesser of both evils, running the cables down the centre console and avoiding the noise but having my OCD kick in knowing the the RCA's are not tied in with the factory loom. Or having them tied in with the factory loom to keep it in order and living with noise whenever I hit the brakes!

With regards to the cabling I have had both type and had the same problem. I don't think it's the gain stage on the amp as I'm using an SMD DD1 to set the gains up.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 09:58 AM   #13
bmw335ie90
Lieutenant
Rep

Not sure then. I looked back at the thread I found regarding someone having the same issue as you. Turns out it was you that posted it! So i think this issue is unique to you as far as I could find.

I would expect all the lighting wiring to run next to each other so would also think you would have gotten noise when you used your blinkers or the reverse lights came on.

If you ran the wires under the carpet you will never see them so not really a big deal where you laid them, I would just leave it tbh.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 10:41 AM   #14
sfarisminhas
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335ie90 View Post
Not sure then. I looked back at the thread I found regarding someone having the same issue as you. Turns out it was you that posted it! So i think this issue is unique to you as far as I could find.

I would expect all the lighting wiring to run next to each other so would also think you would have gotten noise when you used your blinkers or the reverse lights came on.

If you ran the wires under the carpet you will never see them so not really a big deal where you laid them, I would just leave it tbh.
Haha. Yes that was me. I have thought the same thing too. I'll just leave it where it is. Works perfectly fine and no noise. Just the OCD I suppose. 😀
Appreciate 0