E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > High idle for Winter

03-09-2021, 11:03 PM   #23
HairyCannonball
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D, VW Jetta TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by awenthol View Post
I worked R&Q (Engineering) for a major diesel OEM and now engineering for an EGR Tier 1. Here's my $0.02

1) These cars have electric heating elements in the HVAC, so using the argument that you need to warm up the interior is not really a good argument to make...

2) BMW was a big opponent of remote start in their cars, because of how wasteful it is (fuel consumption, but also more on this below).

3) If, per above, you actually have rough idle, you should be figuring it out--ie, glow plugs? I've cold started my car at -20°F with no issues (rough idle).

4) Idling an engine--any engine--cold is a bad idea. OEMs have implemented strategies to cope, but the simple fact is (again, gas or diesel) you do not have enough load to get good combusion and will ALWAYS end up with some sort of cylinder wash. Yes, even Ram's 1500RPM cruise high idle is not enough load...merely a band-aid, at best

5) EVERY OEM designs their engines to be operated immediately after starting. Avoid lugging/high loading the engine (until oil temps are 170°F+), and try to keep revs up to aid warm-up, but otherwise, just start up and drive relatively "normal."

6) I cannot comment on how BMW is handling it, but most diesel OEMs have a strategy for "Cold Ambient Protection," where the ECM will do it's best to maintain coolant temperatures at LOW idle. Typically, this requires/involves an exhaust throttle valve to drive backpressure (which the BMWs obviously don't have). On the VGT'd light duty trucks you see this with closing the vanes.

I'm not saying I've never low idle my D for extended periods, but best practice for me is; if the engine's on, it's driving. I'm sure someone that's good with coding, could figure something out, but what I'm getting at is, there is no point.....
Agree 100%
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2021, 11:37 AM   #24
Boyd122
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335D bmw 325es 1986

Okay peanut gallery, it's not so much about rough starts. I fixed that issue long ago. Yes I included it for thought. I use my car for mechanical work. I work in the heavy equipment industry and diesel world. I have a 5500 dodge service truck that comes with high idle from factory. Also has a cold weather aid where it will run on three cylinders when it's extremely cold. So all this it isn't needed isn't true. It comes on when the computer says to come on. I don't always have to set it on high idle, the computer will do it itself at times. My question was if anyone really knew how to or could lead me in a direction to do it. I have been working on coding it for a while and converting German to English and have been speaking to a few friends of mine in Europe who have this feature on there cars. (They put it on there car) I could give a rip less about what you think of how it doesn't need it, granted you don't have to agree or even tell me. I just wanted a look on how to do it or if it's possible to have some help with it. Thank you lol. I don't just hang around in Texas. I'm all over the nation in this car. I use it for smaller jobs with tool box in the trunk. It's a awesome car. Anyway thank you jeez
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 08:33 PM   #25
lnxguy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

You can increase the idle in ISTA/D. I doubt you'll be able to do anything that will affect the idle with coding.