E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > [SOLVED - NOW A BRAKE ISSUE] E90 CANBUS Issue - Every Module suddenly has problems

03-02-2021, 02:05 PM   #1
ptp170
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 325D

Unhappy [SOLVED - NOW A BRAKE ISSUE] E90 CANBUS Issue - Every Module suddenly has problems

Hello all, long time lucker and newly registered member seeking the wisdom of the E90 community.

I own an 07 E90 325D with 101K miles on the clock.

About a week ago I had the red service ramp warning sign appear on the dash. I plugged in ISTA/D and started a test.

I noticed that a high percentage of modules either had communication issues or just were no longer found. Each time I ran the test the results varied with some modules now working and others failing. If I clicked on a module which was red and entered ECU Functions the very act of doing this sometimes then turned the module green.

The intermittant faults are on both the PT-CAN and the K-CAN lines.

If I use the ECU Function feature on a certain module and Read some live values the data shows but also flickers to 'Not Available' whilst reading. I'm not sure if this is standard behaviour but the happens across all modules.

I have testing the CANBUS resistance with the battery disconnected and it's roughly 60ohms so that appears to be correct.

I have also tapped into the CANBUS High and LOW using my oscilloscope and the waveform for each H&L seems well formed and the correct voltage range.

Given the issues across both the PTCAN and KCAN the only common thing I can find that may be an issue is the JBE as I understand this is a communications gateway for both systems.

Are there common areas of failure that would cause issues like this like the JBE, broken wire/ground etc?

NB The main engine to chassis earthing strap was replaced last year as the old one had rotted. Also the battery is new and holds good charge.

Hoping some guru can help!!

Thanks in advance

Chris

Last edited by ptp170; 03-05-2021 at 02:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 02:28 PM   #2
lookalikehuuh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 335i

Hey Chris,

Welcome to being an active member

So let's start with the first potential issue that we all go to first. Any idea what condition your car battery is currently in? A low/weak battery can cause crazy unexplainable issues with this platform.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 02:38 PM   #3
ptp170
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookalikehuuh View Post
Hey Chris,

Welcome to being an active member

So let's start with the first potential issue that we all go to first. Any idea what condition your car battery is currently in? A low/weak battery can cause crazy unexplainable issues with this platform.

Hi there,

Battery is in very good condition and starts the car easily. Something I will add that these faults still appear even if I don't start the engine and just run the Tests with the ignition on.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 04:22 PM   #4
ptp170
Rep

UPDATE: I just noticed that because I was probing from the ECU end that I was only monitoring the Red/BlueRED twisted pair which appears to only be the lines for the PT_CAN side. Looks like I need to find the OrangeGreen/Green twisted pair for the K_CAN side and test those too.

Will have to do that tomorrow as it's way too late in the day now..
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 05:32 PM   #5
Sp749
Rep
Drives: 2017 x5 35

Had same issue. Changed the battery. All good. Had an interstate before that. Spent the money. Bought the bmw battery. Good place to start
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 07:09 PM   #6
marvinstockman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

Get a voltmeter and measure battery voltage with engine off preferably after having sat all night (~12.5 volts), and while running (~13.5 to 14+ volts).
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 07:31 PM   #7
petebert
Rep
Drives: 2010 328xi, 05 x5

Maybe the same issue as mine? That I also just had this week. Try unplugging your TPMS module and see what happens. For an 07 you should have the white box in the trunk near the battery.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1803088
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 01:07 PM   #8
ptp170
Rep

Had a long couple of tedious days on this now so time for an update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinstockman View Post
Get a voltmeter and measure battery voltage with engine off preferably after having sat all night (~12.5 volts), and while running (~13.5 to 14+ volts).

Battery was 12.7V after been left overnight with multimeter leads dangling outside the trunk/boot as to not to skew the reading by waking the BUS when unlocking. Running it is 14-14.5 depending on what it deems necessary.

Quote:
Maybe the same issue as mine? That I also just had this week. Try unplugging your TPMS module and see what happens. For an 07 you should have the white box in the trunk near the battery.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1803088
Haven't looked for this but my vehicle doesn't have senders for a TPMS to receive... I guess it works by monitoring wheel speed when the steering angle is dead ahead?

GENERAL UPDATE:
Probed the KCAN with a scope, H/L signals are the correct voltages.

Remembered I has a logic analyser stuffed away in the attic so dusted it off hoping to find Packets on the K/PT BUS with failed CRC checks etc which I could trace back to the glitching controller by looking up the device ID in the packet data (disclaimer, I've never done that before so guessing I was doing it correctly), no failed packets could be detected on either BUS

Symptoms are still the same whether I scan with INPA or ISTA, controllers come and go every refresh of the system but the engine and all the cars electric functions ok so far. The only partial consistancy in all this is that when the DSC is actually detected it does say the both the front and rear brake pads have implausable wear values. The DSC was replaced with a new unit in 2014 so I'm hoping its not that. I guess the only way to tell is to unplug it but I think it's part of the network that has a 120ohm resistor built in so I rekon I would have to put two 60ohm resistor from both the H/L sides to a common ground to stop the car throwing a fit when it was powered back on again.

I am at a bit of a loss with this one, I was hoping to find something obvious given the tech (albeit without the skill) I've thrown at it.

Chris
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 02:27 PM   #9
ptp170
Rep

SOLVED (ish)

Well this was a weird one after removing pretty much every panel including all the rear seats I finally go to the bottom of the 'problem'.

It was never the car..

It seems that when either the front/rear brake pad sensor went weird on me (they're both physically fine) it rightfully triggered faults 005DE1 & 005DE0 in the DSC.

Now, here's the strange bit, it was the laptop COM1 latency settings that caused all the strange behaviour when trying to communicate with all the modules in ISTA/INPA. I've never changed that setting since I've setup the COM ports on the laptop and previously it's coped just fine. I can only assume that the DSC fault caused a lot more traffic on the CANBUS and it was tripping over the FTDI driver.

So, lesson is change your COM1 latency to as low as it can go as minie is now set to 1ms.

Now, back to the actual problem which is the sensors:

What causes both front and rear brake pad sensors to be tripped simultaneously?

When one gets tripped that both are registered as faulty? I know the rear one is ok as I checked it's resistance with an ohm meter.

Slowly getting there

Chris
Appreciate 0