E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > I Need Some JB4 + Catsim Help Please ??

03-03-2021, 12:37 PM   #1
AX75F92
Private
Rep
Drives: 335

I Need Some JB4 + Catsim Help Please ??

Hey all! I?ve been ?out of the game? for a while and could really use some guidance here.

Car: 2011 E90 (N55)
Mods: JB4, VRSF DP, VRSF IC, BMS intake, Alpina transmission flash

I installed all this stuff back in 2016/17 and haven?t touched it. No drivability/performance issues with the car, everything runs just fine.

I?ve been having to do ?special smog? (CA) because the a r e a 74 catsim I bought when it first came out never worked to clear all the readiness codes. I lost my smog guy recently and really don?t feel like installing the stock DP back in.

My questions are:
1) My JB4 is on map 0 and readiness never clears for evap and cats. Should I uninstall the JB?
1a) It?s an older JB4 (not sure what firmware it?s on but I haven?t updated in years). I remember I had to cut a diode in the box to run in ?ISO? mode. I?m also running the ?flex fuel wires?. I see people talking about plugging the JB4 into their OBDII port...mine never had that feature. I?m wondering if my old ver JB4 has anything to do with my issue.
Note: I have the serial cable connected and running to the glove box so I can connect my laptop when needed.

2) I followed the instructions on A74 site to install the catsim, but I installed it on the sensor side of the harness to avoid tapping into the engine side. Any prob with this?

I would love to hear some insight from those who have been able to clear their readiness codes. I?ve been riding dirty with expired tags since Jan trying to figure this out.

TIA!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 02:57 PM   #2
opjose
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

The sim itself does not clear any codes.

You must clear the codes separately and reset the system.

I believe the JB4 can do so after setting it to map0... but you have to command it to clear the codes... that only happens when you tell it to.

I did this a day or two ago (same a7 sim too!).

I then checked for readiness using Auto Doctor App on iPhone... it said that the cats were not ready after the last reset...

I drove it back and forth to work, about 50 miles, and checked again... this time the app said the cats were ready for smog checks.

I have hi-flow cats which triggered check errors after a few months, hence the A7 to correct it.

The A7 must be installed as instructed though you can use a multi pole switch setup to put it into and out of circuit. That makes it easy to disable it when desired without rewiring.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2021, 12:25 AM   #3
AX75F92
Private
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by opjose View Post
The sim itself does not clear any codes.

You must clear the codes separately and reset the system.

I believe the JB4 can do so after setting it to map0... but you have to command it to clear the codes... that only happens when you tell it to.

I did this a day or two ago (same a7 sim too!).

I then checked for readiness using Auto Doctor App on iPhone... it said that the cats were not ready after the last reset...

I drove it back and forth to work, about 50 miles, and checked again... this time the app said the cats were ready for smog checks.

I have hi-flow cats which triggered check errors after a few months, hence the A7 to correct it.

The A7 must be installed as instructed though you can use a multi pole switch setup to put it into and out of circuit. That makes it easy to disable it when desired without rewiring.
Thanks for the reply.

To be clear: There are no codes. Just readiness monitors are never clearing.

I will double check the A7 installation.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2021, 02:45 AM   #4
brooks1005
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i Coupe M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AX75F92 View Post
Hey all! I?ve been ?out of the game? for a while and could really use some guidance here.

Car: 2011 E90 (N55)
Mods: JB4, VRSF DP, VRSF IC, BMS intake, Alpina transmission flash

I installed all this stuff back in 2016/17 and haven?t touched it. No drivability/performance issues with the car, everything runs just fine.

I?ve been having to do ?special smog? (CA) because the a r e a 74 catsim I bought when it first came out never worked to clear all the readiness codes. I lost my smog guy recently and really don?t feel like installing the stock DP back in.

My questions are:
1) My JB4 is on map 0 and readiness never clears for evap and cats. Should I uninstall the JB?
1a) It?s an older JB4 (not sure what firmware it?s on but I haven?t updated in years). I remember I had to cut a diode in the box to run in ?ISO? mode. I?m also running the ?flex fuel wires?. I see people talking about plugging the JB4 into their OBDII port...mine never had that feature. I?m wondering if my old ver JB4 has anything to do with my issue.
Note: I have the serial cable connected and running to the glove box so I can connect my laptop when needed.

2) I followed the instructions on A74 site to install the catsim, but I installed it on the sensor side of the harness to avoid tapping into the engine side. Any prob with this?

I would love to hear some insight from those who have been able to clear their readiness codes. I?ve been riding dirty with expired tags since Jan trying to figure this out.

TIA!
A software update to the JB4 ended code clearing so it could be sold in States where it wasn't previously. It is advisable to put the catsim on the sensor side. My catsim is attached using temporary taps.

I personally had to completely remove the JB4 to gain readiness and then drive a few miles with catsim installed.

After I pass the test I reinstall the JB4 and flash a BEF with MHD. MHD has the ability to eliminate the CEL.
      03-06-2021, 06:03 PM   #5
opjose
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

The automatic code clearing was there to prevent CELs while the JB4 is turned on.

It never engages when map0 is set.

Separately there was a menu option that permitted you to clear all of the codes even if the JB4 was at map0.

That was helpful when preparing to go through an emissions check using a DP fix.

As reported later firmware had this removed.

The JB4 can be left in with the A7 catsim w/o issues as long as it is set to map0 (disabled) .. did my checkup earlier today this way.
Appreciate 0