E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Engine Malfunction- reduced power!!!!-already searched

06-02-2009, 05:28 PM   #1
ezcivic type r
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

Engine Malfunction- reduced power!!!!-already searched

Ok I have already searched many many threads and didnt find anyone with the exact symptoms my car is having (335i auto). My car is not having any trouble starting. I have comfort access and it starts in one push. I get the yellow engine malfunction - reduced power code only when I really step on the gas to quickly pick up speed. I can stop the car turn it off, and turn it back on again and the code will be gone. My warranty is already up and I'm skeptical on taking it to the dealer. The HPFP may be the problem which is under warranty but the stealership might tell me its something else thats not under warranty so that they wont have to cover it. I took the car to the dealer a week ago to get an oil change and they came back and told me I had oil in my coolant reservoir. They said I had a blown head gasket and it would cost 6 grand to fix. I took it home and looked in the reservoir. There was a lot of this milky foamy substance. took it to a mechanic and they said to flush it and keep an eye on it. I flushed the system and put some new coolant in there. Drove it around for 200 miles and the coolant still seems clean (no foamy mixture). Called the mechanic to tell him the news and he thinks the dealer put that stuff in the reservoir and this is not the first similar incidence with this dealer. Thats my rant. Any opinions on the issue?
      06-02-2009, 08:30 PM   #2
Ghines1279
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Garage List
2007 e92 335i  [0.00]
I think you should check it after a couple months. depending on how bad it is, it could take more than 200 miles for enough oil to seep through.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 08:57 PM   #3
addicted2drums
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90

You could pressure test the cylinders. If the dealership is not lying then you could do more damage driving around.

You can rent the kit from any auto parts store and probably find someone on the forum in your area that is willing to help you do it.
      06-02-2009, 09:05 PM   #4
ezcivic type r
Private
Rep

Thanks guys. I know it may sound bad, but I think I'm just gonna get rid of the car and get something more reliable and hassle free.
      06-02-2009, 09:16 PM   #5
addicted2drums
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90

The car is reliable and hassle free if you don't overheat the car. To warp the head you would have had to have had some pretty high temps going on.
      06-03-2009, 07:40 AM   #6
ezcivic type r
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted2drums View Post
The car is reliable and hassle free if you don't overheat the car. To warp the head you would have had to have had some pretty high temps going on.
the car never comes close to overheating. it stays about the 210-220 range.
      06-03-2009, 09:18 PM   #7
ezcivic type r
Private
Rep

funny update. so the car kept throwing the reduced power code during hard acceleration. Well I scheduled an appointment with the dealer for this weekend, but I came home today and decided to check some things on the car. looked under the hood and everything seemed fine. checked the gas cap and same thing. used an OBD II scanner and nothing came up. I disconnected the battery for five minutes and plugged it back in. took the car for a spin and no more reduced power, BUT, I did get a "service engine soon" in the top part of the cluster. I thought it may be my microfilter that needs to be replaced. I scanned it and it gave me a P1515 code and said something about idling and auxiliary input. The idling seemed ok and I had something plugged into the auxiliary input in the car. I unplugged that. I dont know if thats the problem and if its fixed or not, but I went ahead and cleared the codes. I'm just happy that it doesnt reduce the power anymore. Still selling or trading it though. I just wanted everything to be running fine and no codes which it is right now, so tomorrow I will probably go get a trade in appraisal.
      06-03-2009, 11:35 PM   #8
darkphantom
Banned
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

^congrats. Sorry to hear about this mishap though, sucks. What car will you get now?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2009, 11:53 PM   #9
nukezero
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 series

most ppl would rather have your car than deal with the HPFP. your car seems like something simple is failing and the computer is just putting it into limp mode for protection.

did you buy your car new or used?

how many miles did u have it for?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2009, 08:29 AM   #10
ezcivic type r
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkphantom View Post
^congrats. Sorry to hear about this mishap though, sucks. What car will you get now?
I've had great experiences with Hondas. I'm gonna get an 09 Accord with the works. Test drove one yesterday and its a beauty. I think it was something small, but I'd rather do away with it.