E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Rubber window trim fell off, what to use to glue it back on?

04-04-2018, 04:20 PM   #1
JingChai
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

Rubber window trim fell off, what to use to glue it back on?

The rubber trim that fits between the back window and trunk lid fell off today. What kind of adhesive/glue do you use to glue it back on? Will loctite or any outdoor glue work fine?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 07:42 AM   #2
slupie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 328iT, Montego Blau

My experience is that once it come off it's really hard to get it to stay on even with new adhesive. Urethane adhesive creates a mess for later. Easiest thing is to get a new one from the dealer.
Appreciate 1
lab_rat394.50
      04-05-2018, 07:49 AM   #3
robthewrench
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 335i

This happened to me as well. You should use windshield silicone sealant or another form of silicone. Do not use a rigid glue.

Clean off as much of the old adhesive as you can, both out of the channel in the seal and off the glass. When you apply the new glue, you're going to need something to hold the seal in place until the glue cures overnight. I took some wood pieces cut to about the right width, wrapped them in rags and then wedged them between this seal and the trunk inside lip. I left the trunk open to do this, so I was using the body of the car a for the support, not the trunk lid itself.

You may get too much silicone in the seal and some will squeeze out. It is pretty easy to scrape the extra off the glass after it has cured.

You other option is to take the car to a windshield / glass repair place. They will be able to re-glue it and should do a professional job, but probably $100-150.
      04-05-2018, 07:54 AM   #4
norsairius
Foodie and Gearhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive Sedan

Garage List
The same trim piece came off on my car. This stuff worked nicely for reattaching it: https://www.amazon.com/3M-08008-Blac.../dp/B00063X38M

Just make sure to clean off the contact surfaces as much as you can and then follow the directions that come with the adhesive. The most important part is probably to let the adhesive sit for a bit so that it becomes tacky before you put the trim piece back on. I haven't noticed any issues since I reattached it.
      05-18-2019, 12:17 PM   #5
joshaguirre
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 xDrive28i F25

Also have had this same issue for about 8 months now and it's really annoying. I've tried 'gluing' it back on before but it just comes off after a couple weeks. The original window trim fell off and decided to buy a new one from BMW. I adhered the new one on with clear GE silicone but the trim came off after two months which leads me to now. I took a look at the 3M adhesive that someone recommended and it looks like it will work...I'll give it a shot later today.
Appreciate 0