E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > E92 330D Advice wanted: K&N Filter and Remap

02-06-2016, 03:06 PM   #1
raptor_f22
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 330d M Sport Auto

E92 330D Advice wanted: K&N Filter and Remap

Hi all,

A couple of quick questions... interested in whether anyone has this K&N filter fitted and if they noticed any difference vs. other stock filters e.g. Bosch ?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Can't afford the Apollo induction kit and have read mixed things about it so not looking into that at the moment.

Secondly, wanting to get my car remapped and dyno'd and was considering Celtic Tuning. Thought I'd ask on here rather than go by just their website alone. Has anyone had their 330D remapped from them before? What sort of gains did you see? Anything I should be aware of?

I have a 2007 330D Auto.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 04:53 PM   #2
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

I have a customer who had his car re mapped elsewhere by a well known company then had an issue (map related) we stuck a stock map back (discoverd the issue was a direct map and ECU conflict issue) we re ampped the car for the customer and he went off happy a little while later the cars service schedule came up and he opted to look at replacing the air filter(even though the one in the car was less than 7 months old)we stuck a K&N in and he actaully called in to say the car was so much better felt more lively better economy as well.

I'm still staggerd that he picked out such a difference from just an air filer replacement the 'old filter' as I said was only 7 months old and was a Mann filter and looked condition wise very good indeed just started to go a little grey on the outer surface so flow wise would of been perfectly OK and the car drive OK pre work as well so wan't starved of air
      02-06-2016, 05:25 PM   #3
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

i wouldnt personally bother with a K&N.

They dont filter the air properly and performance gains are pretty small on a turbo engine. The stock filter is massive, and has huge surface area compared with the K&N.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 05:13 AM   #4
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

As I said I'm still staggered TBH that such a difference was found by the owner of the car I've mentioned post K&N change, I've always been shall we say slightly sceptable re power claims re some of these filters sure they claim better flow and I don't doubt that for one minute, the cost of these filters remember can by up to 2 to 3 times more than a standard filter but of course you can clean/re use them so over time the cost comes back slightly to the performance filter.

If you look at say a 335i different car I grant you but just changing filters on these produces results (some negative) so it's positive factual info that on these cars for instance changing just the air filter has a detectable result, though remember diesel/petrol work a little differently re burning fuel/air.

It's an interesting topic though that can/may well decide opinion.
      02-07-2016, 01:51 PM   #5
raptor_f22
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks both for your comments. Aragorn30d - the link I posted for the K&N filter looks identical in surface area to the stock filter. I was just curious having read some of the user reviews on it and what old grey steve your customer said to you.

I'm also surprised that it's 3 x the cost of the Bosch filter so just wondered if it performed better. Not particularly motivated by minor BHP gains but obviously anything that improves air flow to the engine is a positive in my mind.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 02:22 PM   #6
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

The cost thing is a guide from me but the K&N unit does cost at least double to 3 times the price. Euro's for instance can obtain the filter though there are other places that can also supply so perhaps like most things there could be some price variation.

On the subject of longevity the K&N can be removed cleaned oiled and re installed (but you've got to if you want to do it right factor in the cost of the cleaning kit) oddly places like Halfords sell the stuff. The BMW, Mann filter will of course require a straight replcement once its had its day.

Re performance it's a delicate subject, as I said my customer actually said it made a big difference and I'm still a little shocked by quite a statement as you'd not expect a pure filter replacment to unlock so much potentual but for him it did.

Me personally I'm in both camps I can see the benifit I can understand the claims, but in practice I'm sure some may come away a little disappointed.
      02-07-2016, 02:29 PM   #7
raptor_f22
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by old grey steve View Post
The cost thing is a guide from me but the K&N unit does cost at least double to 3 times the price. Euro's for instance can obtain the filter though there are other places that can also supply so perhaps like most things there could be some price variation.

On the subject of longevity the K&N can be removed cleaned oiled and re installed (but you've got to if you want to do it right factor in the cost of the cleaning kit) oddly places like Halfords sell the stuff. The BMW, Mann filter will of course require a straight replcement once its had its day.

Re performance it's a delicate subject, as I said my customer actually said it made a big difference and I'm still a little shocked by quite a statement as you'd not expect a pure filter replacment to unlock so much potentual but for him it did.

Me personally I'm in both camps I can see the benifit I can understand the claims, but in practice I'm sure some may come away a little disappointed.
I'm with you on price, Mann/Bosch filters generally retail for around £20 and that particular K&N filter is going for around £65+

Interesting it can be cleaned and re-used...sadly I don't have the tools to do DIY replacement and it's not the easiest filter to get to! Surprised Halfords sell the cleaning kit for the K&N.

I think performance wise it's about aggregates. A slight gain here, a little bit there, all starts to add up so I think some people will notice the difference. I saw a youtube video on a 320D with before and after installing a K&N filter and at least noise wise there was a huge difference, which obviously by itself means nothing but sadly that's all that was on that particular clip.

I'm half tempted to try it out if I end up getting a remap too. Only one way to find out sometimes eh...

Last edited by raptor_f22; 02-07-2016 at 02:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 01:43 AM   #8
raptor_f22
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

This makes for an interesting read, http://www.fastcar.co.uk/2012/05/04/...r-filter-test/
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 08:16 AM   #9
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

the stock filter is pleated, and has huge surface area. This enables the filter to employ an extremely fine paper element, without causing a restriction.

The K&N is just a flat slab of foam, with holes that are cavernous compared with the paper element.

I cut apart the stock paper filter from my Audi A4, which is about 300x200mm in size. When fully unfolded, it was about 7 meters long:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l35ejl4xqz...14.25.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/97tb129sll...15.23.jpg?dl=0
Appreciate 1