E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Official Montreal Members Thread (#4)

11-21-2012, 01:25 PM   #419
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep
Drives: fast, sometimes slow

Interesting thought. Ever since I got my R, I was kind of missing "that BMW feeling". So I had to bring my Mini for service, and the good dudes at Canbec, who know me as an unofficial frequent member despite not having any loyalty card to show for it (seeing how many times I've been there with my 335) kept me a "nice" F30 328i, sport edition (whatever that means these days). So I am driving that right now.

I am a little bit in shock.

Coming off my 335 with my ball-breaker suspension, sport seats and otherwise "fun" drive, I am a little bit surprised at how the 2013 feels lamer, and cheaper, than my elderly 2008. What's going on here, and is it just because it's a loaner? And why do I feel like my R is a "better" car? What's wrong here?

- the engine is punchy. like.
- the suspension is so soft I feel like I will float off the road. do not like. (but fine. one of my cars is on coilovers, another was on aftermarket suspension, and the R is a "sport" car so necessarily has a stiffer suspension). pass judgement.
- the interior has lost quality. the front seats are terrible. i feel like i am sitting on a flat dining chair, rather than a "sport" car (they do have the leg extension support - but even then, absolutely awful seating). the back support pretends to be a bucket with the side bolsters, but is nothing of the sort.
- the rear seats lost the little doors for baby seats. i used to give those massive amounts of respect, even though the little doors broke all the time, because i felt they put the extra effort in to make life easier for people with baby seats. even my mini has that. the R has that. the new F30? back to Honda Accord style seats, where you have to fish in the lining to find the metal bracket.
- the steering is soft and lifeless. but i have complained about that already in the past. i do NOT like the change to the electromechanical steering....
- the steering wheel is abysmal. it's plain, hard and thin. and has no shape. it's just a huge dried out bagel.

Am I spoiled? Am I being unreasonable? It's not like the price of the car went down to justify the perceivable decrease in quality. Has anyone else noticed this?
      11-21-2012, 03:02 PM   #420
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonybest View Post
My opinion

yes, but it will take them an extra day.
who did you bring it to? same guy last year?

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 03:17 PM   #421
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim View Post
Interesting thought. Ever since I got my R, I was kind of missing "that BMW feeling". So I had to bring my Mini for service, and the good dudes at Canbec, who know me as an unofficial frequent member despite not having any loyalty card to show for it (seeing how many times I've been there with my 335) kept me a "nice" F30 328i, sport edition (whatever that means these days). So I am driving that right now.

Coming off my 335 with my ball-breaker suspension, sport seats and otherwise "fun" drive, I am a little bit surprised at how the 2013 feels lamer, and cheaper, than my elderly 2008. What's going on here, and is it just because it's a loaner? And why do I feel like my R is a "better" car? What's wrong here?

- the suspension is so soft I feel like I will float off the road. do not like. (but fine. one of my cars is on coilovers, another was on aftermarket suspension, and the R is a "sport" car so necessarily has a stiffer suspension). pass judgement.
- the interior has lost quality. the front seats are terrible. i feel like i am sitting on a flat dining chair, rather than a "sport" car (they do have the leg extension support - but even then, absolutely awful seating). the back support pretends to be a bucket with the side bolsters, but is nothing of the sort.
- the rear seats lost the little doors for baby seats. i used to give those massive amounts of respect, even though the little doors broke all the time, because i felt they put the extra effort in to make life easier for people with baby seats. even my mini has that. the R has that. the new F30? back to Honda Accord style seats, where you have to fish in the lining to find the metal bracket.
- the steering is soft and lifeless. but i have complained about that already in the past. i do NOT like the change to the electromechanical steering....
- the steering wheel is abysmal. it's plain, hard and thin. and has no shape. it's just a huge dried out bagel.

Am I spoiled? Am I being unreasonable? It's not like the price of the car went down to justify the perceivable decrease in quality. Has anyone else noticed this?
i am not surprised that these are your thoughts on the 328.... dont forget that this car is for the masses. lots of older folks buy these cars and they want a comfortable daily commuter, not a 'sporty' car. i am guessing the older ladies would like the numb and soft electric power steering and probably equate it to 'luxury'. also the R and the cooper S are aimed at generally younger owners who like to drive spiritedly or even track the car so tuning is going to be quite different.

we'll see what they do with the upcoming M3/M4.... thats the car that will make or break BMW's reputation to the enthusiast. i lost faith in M division after they started to put engine noise through the car's radio speakers in the new M5. but then again, they did come up with the 1M recently, which has been highly praised by many (even though i havent driven one before). so we'll see.

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 03:54 PM   #422
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F22 M240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerista View Post
If you change the engine and transmission on the M3 is it still and M3?

May as well just get the car that goes with the engine in the crate and swap the seats for racing Recaros.

But then again this is the opinion of the Cardinal of Status Quo.
It will still be way cheaper to retrofit a new LS3 & T56 tranny into my M3 than try to make a C6 Grand Coupe as track worthy. I still think the E46 is a more balanced platform in any case.
      11-21-2012, 04:21 PM   #423
GAM3OVR85
Major General
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2010 Sea-Doo RXT-X 260  [9.00]
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
My opinion
+1000
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 04:29 PM   #424
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep
Drives: 997.2 Porsche C4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal red View Post
who did you bring it to? same guy last year?
This shop at the corner of Pierrefonds and Sources. First experience for me there. I will be there around 7PM tonight to pick it up.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 04:32 PM   #425
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
i am not surprised that these are your thoughts on the 328.... dont forget that this car is for the masses. lots of older folks buy these cars and they want a comfortable daily commuter, not a 'sporty' car. i am guessing the older ladies would like the numb and soft electric power steering and probably equate it to 'luxury'. also the R and the cooper S are aimed at generally younger owners who like to drive spiritedly or even track the car so tuning is going to be quite different.

we'll see what they do with the upcoming M3/M4.... thats the car that will make or break BMW's reputation to the enthusiast. i lost faith in M division after they started to put engine noise through the car's radio speakers in the new M5. but then again, they did come up with the 1M recently, which has been highly praised by many (even though i havent driven one before). so we'll see.
I have to agree with montreal red here. Your expectations are not at all what a 328 is aimed at. But the rear seats thingy for the small children is sad.

a 328 is not a sports car. It is a luxury car with a "sporty" feeling.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 05:01 PM   #426
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep

Quote:
This shop at the corner of Pierrefonds and Sources. First experience for me there. I will be there around 7PM tonight to pick it up.
interesting. post up your thoughts after you get your service done. i have only had experience with Auto Magik which is on Hymus. not too far from the pierrefonds and sources.

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 05:14 PM   #427
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep

Quote:
Sent you a whatsapp... Could you ask that shop something Thanks!
      11-21-2012, 05:29 PM   #428
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep

Quote:
interesting. post up your thoughts after you get your service done. i have only had experience with Auto Magik which is on Hymus. not too far from the pierrefonds and sources.
I think the head guy at this shop used to work at AutoMagik. But I thought AutoMagik was just a body and paint shop.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 05:32 PM   #429
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
I have to agree with montreal red here. Your expectations are not at all what a 328 is aimed at. But the rear seats thingy for the small children is sad.

a 328 is not a sports car. It is a luxury car with a "sporty" feeling.
So I would tend to agree with all of the above... but for a huge caveat. The 328 is definitely a "luxury car with spunk". The problem is that most of the "tangible" components carry over to the 335, which would be my basis of comparison, for the reason that the M falls into an entirely different product line, while the 335 still technically defines the maximum 3-series. And here we have a problem. The seats wouldn't change to the 335; neither, I should think, would the steering response - the cars aren't different enough to justify it (unless they're separating the 335 out more in this model year and all of those will actually differ). I would almost even wonder if the 335 even has a different suspension - the 328 and the 335 shared them before, which would simply be tragic if it were the case here.

For what it's worth, one of the main reasons I bought a BMW the first time was my boss at the time heard I was car shopping, threw me the keys to his e28 and said "let's drive". Five minutes later it was a done deal.

I'm not sure I'd be as impressed now.
      11-21-2012, 05:33 PM   #430
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Sent you a whatsapp... Could you ask that shop something Thanks!
Answered... I'll get back to you on What'sApp.

*** The art of hiking up my post count.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 05:39 PM   #431
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep

Quote:
Answered... I'll get back to you on What'sApp.

*** The art of hiking up my post count.
skilfully played. skilfully played indeed.
      11-21-2012, 06:05 PM   #432
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Quote:
Is it Alex garage or something like that?
      11-21-2012, 06:09 PM   #433
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

I think Alex should provide input on his F30 335, that is if he remembers how his e90 328 was!

11-21-2012, 08:14 PM   #434
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I think the head guy at this shop used to work at AutoMagik. But I thought AutoMagik was just a body and paint shop.
automagik does detailing as well... actually i think half of their business is detailing. the other half is body/paint. how was the detail job? and how much did it cost?

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 08:24 PM   #435
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep

Quote:
So I would tend to agree with all of the above... but for a huge caveat. The 328 is definitely a "luxury car with spunk". The problem is that most of the "tangible" components carry over to the 335, which would be my basis of comparison, for the reason that the M falls into an entirely different product line, while the 335 still technically defines the maximum 3-series. And here we have a problem. The seats wouldn't change to the 335; neither, I should think, would the steering response - the cars aren't different enough to justify it (unless they're separating the 335 out more in this model year and all of those will actually differ). I would almost even wonder if the 335 even has a different suspension - the 328 and the 335 shared them before, which would simply be tragic if it were the case here.

For what it's worth, one of the main reasons I bought a BMW the first time was my boss at the time heard I was car shopping, threw me the keys to his e28 and said "let's drive". Five minutes later it was a done deal.

I'm not sure I'd be as impressed now.
you have a point for sure... but then again, you've also been spoiled by superior body control from your coilovers on the e90 and now with the more sportily tuned suspension of the R. i am sure a stock e90 335 would feel like jello as well once you have gotten used to a well matched set of shocks/springs.

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 08:27 PM   #436
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep

Quote:
you have a point for sure... but then again, you've also been spoiled by superior body control from your coilovers on the e90 and now with the more sportily tuned suspension of the R. i am sure a stock e90 335 would feel like jello as well once you have gotten used to a well matched set of shocks/springs.
I should drive someone's. I actually no longer know how it feels. Maybe I am wearing rose-colour sunglasses.
      11-21-2012, 08:51 PM   #437
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Total Auto? I bought my tonneau cover there. They installed as well and did a surprisingly good job.
      11-21-2012, 09:13 PM   #438
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Coming off my 335 with my ball-breaker suspension, sport seats and .

BMW West Island invited me to try out the new F3x. I spent a few minutes in it and drove it back, thanked them kindly and have pretty much written the 3 series off. The worst was like P-nim said, vague steering.

Awaiting the M4.
      11-21-2012, 09:18 PM   #439
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep

Quote:
automagik does detailing as well... actually i think half of their business is detailing. the other half is body/paint. how was the detail job? and how much did it cost?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgalaxy View Post
Total Auto? I bought my tonneau cover there. They installed as well and did a surprisingly good job.
The car is beautiful, great job. 14 hours.

Total Auto Esthetiks, Mark (who has done Chris' car in the past) is very kind and respectful to your prized possession.

He used to work at autoMagik. He was appalled at the paint job they did on my car.

I am impressed.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 09:40 PM   #440
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: superstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth
I think Alex should provide input on his F30 335, that is if he remembers how his e90 328 was!

Well, I just got my 335. So here goes my version of the Pseudo critique:

-standard suspension is soft. I have the sport suspension which is goldilocks to me, not ball breakin hard like my e90 with SP was, but certainly not soft either. I am now less afraid of winter potholes.

-interior: I think the seats are great, a little wider than the e90 and 1 series but otherwise with good support. I really must respectfully disagree with the critique of the overall quality of the interior-it is a step up from the e90 and certainly even more so from the 1 series

-steering: I have not yet made up my mind yet. The standard setting is definitely looser than any previous BMW. But the car has a sport setting that I have not yet tried and its supposed to tighten things up. We'll see once I try it.

Overall I love this car as much as the my first Bimmer and that's saying a lot since I had fun with the 135 vert

The N55 is a much smoother engine than the N54 and I like that.
Appreciate 0