E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Please identify these mods

12-30-2010, 07:24 AM   #1
jakesteel1
Rep
Drives: M3

Please identify these mods

Hi, I'm thinking of buying this 335i coupe. Its at a generic used car dealer so I cant rely on them to answer my questions.

I think this is some kind of after market intake? I dont recall seeing anything like that on my previous 335i. Anyone see anything else? Would it affect the warranty?

This looks to be like some kind of after market shifter. Any idea which kind? Pros or cons?

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 07:27 AM   #2
Black Gold
Major General
Rep

That's a dci or dual cone intake. That also appears to have a new shift knob and possibly a ssk.

The existence of the mods wouldn't kill the deal for me outrigt, but I'd recommend ensuring that te car is still under factory warranty and has not been voided due to mods.

Honestly, i'd keep looking for a mod free car.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 07:29 AM   #3
m3pare
Banned
Philippines
Rep
Drives: OBD1 M3.

yes, that's an aftermarket DCI (dual cone intake). it really shouldn't affect the warranty but most people take it off before getting their car serviced. it really depends on how lenient your service advisor is.

the shift knob is the oem bmw performance knob. very nice shifter for the price. feels great, somewhat weighted. i'd recommend it.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 07:31 AM   #4
SpmnE9zero
DENY THE WORLD THAT SURROUNDS YOU
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB 33ZERO

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
These guys are correct, and if it has an intake, previous owner had to know about JB's and procedes as he seems to be into performance mods so you may luck out and find the car to be mapped as well.
      12-30-2010, 07:38 AM   #5
jakesteel1
Rep

Good feedback, thanks.

I guess I can call a local BMW dealer and give them the VIN # to check if there are any warranty issues.

I dont think the original air intake is available for me to replace prior to service

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpmnE9zero View Post
These guys are correct, and if it has an intake, previous owner had to know about JB's and procedes as he seems to be into performance mods so you may luck out and find the car to be mapped as well.
"JB's" and procedes? Juice Box? Maps...I think the Juice Box had maps but would maps still be present if the chip is uninstalled?

My other concern would be if and how much the car was dogged based on the mods...
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 07:41 AM   #6
SpmnE9zero
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesteel1 View Post
Good feedback, thanks.

I guess I can call a local BMW dealer and give them the VIN # to check if there are any warranty issues.

I dont think the original air intake is available for me to replace prior to service

"JB's" and procedes? Juice Box? Maps...I think the Juice Box had maps but would maps still be present if the chip is uninstalled?

My other concern would be if and how much the car was dogged based on the mods...
if it had a JB in it and it were removed the maps would not be present.

how many miles are on it?
      12-30-2010, 07:44 AM   #7
jakesteel1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpmnE9zero View Post
if it had a JB in it and it were removed the maps would not be present.

how many miles are on it?
22kmi.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 07:48 AM   #8
tke344
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f15 X5 50i

I'd be careful about buying a 335i with any type of modification, chances are the car was tuned as an intake by itself is basically useless. Anything more than window tint would throw up a red flag for me.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 07:49 AM   #9
SpmnE9zero
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesteel1 View Post
22kmi.
ask for a car fax report to see if it was a lease or purchase and also for accident reports.

only other thing to think about is - just because it is modded doesnt make it beat on. Take a good look at the car, use your best judgment to decide if it was beat on or not, also get the vin and call a BMW dealer and ask for maintenance records. If it was maintained properly, it only has 22k, and if the car fax report reads zero issues (not that car fax always catches everything but...), you may have a pretty decent car on your hands.

My car to look at would make one believe it is beat on due to the modifications done to it, however it is not, I just enjoy modding!

You can get a real good feel for a cars actual condition by the way the clutch and tranny feel going thru the gears and taking off. If the clutch feels to be letting out far or the gears seem to be difficult to go into, the car has probably been beat on pretty good!