E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Suing Toronto City Hall for Pothole Damage?

11-09-2011, 07:53 PM   #23
aw328xi2008
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 328xi e92

I've claimed over 2,000 dollars from the city for pot hole and pilon damage....two times in a row!

If your claim is legit, you need proper documentation and DETAILED pictures. You have to follow through on the issue, if you loaft, they'll reject it.

The first claim was for a rolling pilon in the middle of McVean drive, which caused serious damage to the front bumper. The second was downtown, where my rim was bent and cracked.

It's really a simple process, you just have to have all of the proper documentation, and be sure to follow through.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 11:52 AM   #24
itsmybimmer
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bad Ass Bimmer

Well I had photos of the pothole, my damage and the scene before it was towed away. With the address of the pothole. I opened the report to fill the hole and was given a reference number. I was then told to open a claim with their insurance company Mclarens which now changed their name to Granite Claims..Trying to hide from their old name I guess. I messaged them every month and the adjuster Ravi kept saying I have not heard yet. then when I finally sent him the article it was denied. They will tell you it was filled. But to see the report is costly and will cost you money to get it. They are just a scam...the city paying insurance to a company that pays no claims..Whats with that? So even with all that...they shafted me. But thats the City Of Toronto for ya. Maybe I will start a website for others to post their denied claims. I bet you it would fill up fast.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 12:28 PM   #25
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCX_335xi View Post
Was the hole fixed in 7 days though ?

I went to the one that killed my RFT 10 days later, it was still there and my claim still has a good chance
I don't remember but they were holes when I hit them. Second one flattened the tire ....my SPARE tire (Audi) so i had to get my summer tires out of storage and install one. That took 2 more days.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 12:49 PM   #26
4doorgsr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90

Just wanted to point out this thread was started in 2009, so somethings might have changed since the last post took place in 2009
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 07:41 AM   #27
itsmybimmer
Registered
Rep

Did you read that article? it was printing last month...and my pothole was this year...Nothing has changed...here is another article from 2 weeks ago http://www.torontosun.com/2011/10/19...claims-service
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 11:38 AM   #28
DinoMite
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 - 335is Coupe

Huh? The city paying you for damaged rims/tires? HA,
HAHAHA

Their answer to that is trapping motorists in stupid locations for speeding. There is your compensation.

All i can say is cops are nothing but glorified fucking tax collectors.

Instead of trapping people for speed in stupid zones that have no schools, no residential buildings, they should give tickets to stupid drivers that are dangerous on the road.

Almost every other day i see someone doing something really nuts that could cause an accident, they should give these people tickets, but cops or the law is too stupid. Or maybe too lazy, they would rather eat their doughnuts and hide behind poles or bridges to trap motorists.

THey should go to Mississauga/Brampton and wait on the shoulders of on-ramps to highways, to see all the IDIOTS trying to merge into the highway going 80Km/h. While everyone else on the highway is speeding along at 110km/h. Now that is just retarded, who the fuck taught them to drive? Mickey Mouse? I'd fucking suspend their license for 30 days each time they go on the highway going 80km/h.
      11-11-2011, 12:04 PM   #29
vantage_coupe
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoMite View Post
Huh? The city paying you for damaged rims/tires? HA,
HAHAHA

Their answer to that is trapping motorists in stupid locations for speeding. There is your compensation.

All i can say is cops are nothing but glorified fucking tax collectors.

Instead of trapping people for speed in stupid zones that have no schools, no residential buildings, they should give tickets to stupid drivers that are dangerous on the road.

Almost every other day i see someone doing something really nuts that could cause an accident, they should give these people tickets, but cops or the law is too stupid. Or maybe too lazy, they would rather eat their doughnuts and hide behind poles or bridges to trap motorists.

THey should go to Mississauga/Brampton and wait on the shoulders of on-ramps to highways, to see all the IDIOTS trying to merge into the highway going 80Km/h. While everyone else on the highway is speeding along at 110km/h. Now that is just retarded, who the fuck taught them to drive? Mickey Mouse? I'd fucking suspend their license for 30 days each time they go on the highway going 80km/h.
Agreed. This happens WAY too much, I've seen folk merge at speeds that caused cars to nosedive on braking to let them in (and people wonder why auto-accidents are so common ).
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 12:36 PM   #30
Devas
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw328xi2008 View Post
I've claimed over 2,000 dollars from the city for pot hole and pilon damage....two times in a row!

If your claim is legit, you need proper documentation and DETAILED pictures. You have to follow through on the issue, if you loaft, they'll reject it.

The first claim was for a rolling pilon in the middle of McVean drive, which caused serious damage to the front bumper. The second was downtown, where my rim was bent and cracked.

It's really a simple process, you just have to have all of the proper documentation, and be sure to follow through.
Do you think you could tell us step by step how you claim for these damages? I'm sure a lot of people would appreciate it
      11-11-2011, 12:44 PM   #31
sheerin
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 323i

I had some pothole damage last January. I filled my claims with the city three times before they actually forwarded it to their insurance company. I was told the claim was denied a couple weeks ago. Their argument was the road was inspected enough times to cover their liability. Thing is, it took them months to fix the pothole. Right now i'm thinking about filing an access to information request for the work orders on the stretch of road where it happened to see exactly how long it took them to fix it. Then i may take them to small claims.

But yeah, it's a scam.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 07:52 AM   #32
KCX_335xi
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 | 2013 e70 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devas View Post
Do you think you could tell us step by step how you claim for these damages? I'm sure a lot of people would appreciate it
Here you go, I just emailed my in to the address they mentioned.
===
Thank you for contacting 311 Toronto. I apologize for the delay in response as we are experiencing a high volume of e-mails.

Sorry to hear about your damaged wheel. If you would like, you can submit a claims against the City of Toronto for the damages. If you wish to file a claim against the City of Toronto for injury or property damage, you must put their claim in writing and to submit it immediately to the City Clerk's Office (mail, e-mail, fax or in-person).

Claim letters should include the following information:

1. the complainant's name, telephone number and home address
2. date and location of the incident
3. details of what happened
4. names of City staff involved (if appropriate)
5. a description of the damages or injuries that arose

It is important to submit the claim letter as soon as possible. If receipts/supporting documentation are required, the City's insurance company will request them in due course. If you wish, you may choose to indicate in your letter that you have receipts and will supply them on request.

Your claim will be forwarded to the City's Insurance Adjuster's, McLarens Canada for evaluation.

A letter of acknowledgement will be sent to individuals within two to three weeks of submission of their claim letter to the City.

Mail Claims to:
City Clerk's Office
City Hall
100 Queen Street West, 1st Fl. N.
Toronto, ON M5H 2N2
or Fax: 416-392-1867 or

E-mail: claims@toronto.ca

I hope this information is helpful. Should you require further information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Regards,
311 Toronto
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 11:06 AM   #33
itsmybimmer
Registered
Rep

Yes do all that and then receive a DENIED claim email shortly after.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 12:10 PM   #34
KCX_335xi
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmybimmer View Post
Yes do all that and then receive a DENIED claim email shortly after.
First off, it is not a lot of work.

Secondly, I think these clowns just sent you a DENIED letter by default stating some idiotic reasons for not having to keep that road maintained.

YOU need to challenge them.

My first DENIED letter stated that there are potholes by nature as spring "just ended", meanwhile - my incident occurred in July.....

FIGHT for what you believe in
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 07:03 AM   #35
KCX_335xi
Major
Canada
Rep

I won !

6 months later, and I essentially escalated this matter to a higher level within their organization. Cheque is being sent to me this week.

At first, I got the standard "denied" email from them.

Worth fighting for, it will go towards my new Helix FMIC to run COBB AP Stage 2 !
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 11:42 AM   #36
Fozzy
Waaka Waaka
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 xdrive & 2015 F15

nice, good to hear! it's bound to happen to me sooner or later, 427 is brutal.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 12:52 PM   #37
bulldog_yyc
Major General
Rep
Drives: GT3RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCX_335xi View Post
I won !

6 months later, and I essentially escalated this matter to a higher level within their organization. Cheque is being sent to me this week.

At first, I got the standard "denied" email from them.

Worth fighting for, it will go towards my new Helix FMIC to run COBB AP Stage 2 !
Appreciate 0