E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > BMW Brake Pad Paste - Caliper Pins

01-07-2019, 10:56 AM   #1
For3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

BMW Brake Pad Paste - Caliper Pins

I did my first brake job yesterday and replaced all 4 corners pads and rotors. Took longer than expected but was pretty straightforward.

My order from FCP Euro included BMW Brake Paste and their website description says: "This brake pad paste can be used on the back of brake pads, guide pins, and caliper sliders. This paste will help reduce brake squeaking and help protect critical parts of your braking system from corrosion."

I did apply a little to the caliper pins but after stumbling across a few posts, it seems that maybe I shouldn't have?

Do i need to pull all the pins out and wipe clean? I will have driven about 45 miles today after the swap.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 10:59 AM   #2
wrongmark
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 320i, F31 328i

I grease my pins although I know TIS says you shouldn't. After I did a refurb on my calipers, I tried them first without grease as per TIS but they were rock solid. So ended up greasing with a bit of silicone grease. Don't use a copper or alu based grease on them though.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 11:12 AM   #3
For3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks. Looks like I might have more work ahead of me if no copper is true. I found an image of the back on ebay.

Says the paste contains petroleum distillates, graphite, copper, zinc oxide, and aluminum powder.

I'm kicking myself for going off the FCP Euro verbage. Since I've driven so little will I be ok if I take them out degrease them and and reinstall?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 11:52 AM   #4
PerfectAce
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d Sport

It's not the copper or aluminum that's the problem -- it's the petroleum. Petroleum based lubes can cause rubber bushings to swell thus preventing the caliper from sliding freely along the pins. If you want to lube the pins, you should use a silicone-based lube like sil-glyde which won't react with the rubber.

Cleaning the bushings of brake pad paste seems rather difficult. That stuff gets everywhere and is the devil to get off. I would just order a new set of bushings all around and replace. You can get all new front and rear bushings on RockAuto for like $10.
Appreciate 1
Volasko705.00
      01-07-2019, 01:18 PM   #5
For3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Ok thanks. What is the removal process for getting the rubber bushings out and replaced? Do they pull out pretty easily with the caliper in place or do I need to dismount the caliper from the carrier?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 02:00 PM   #6
PerfectAce
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d Sport

Well, you're gonna have to take the guide pins out to get at the guide pin bushings. So yeah, the calipers are coming off. As far as replacing the actual bushing themselves, just pull them out of the calipers using some needle-nose pliers and push/twist the new ones in by hand. You might have to employ a screwdriver or something to make sure the edges of the bushings make it all the way through.

This video gives you a pretty good visual idea of what you're gonna have to do. The guy's working on a Dodge minivan, but the architecture is the same. Skip ahead to the 5:00 mark for the relevant action.

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 02:58 PM   #7
For3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks. I see how they sleeve in. I was hoping I could just remove them from the backside and it would be ok as the caliper would be in place and save several steps but given the side they sleeve into yeah I see what you mean.

Doh. Looks like have a little work ahead of me.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 06:06 PM   #8
wrongmark
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 320i, F31 328i

As mentioned above, the pins will need to be all the way out anyway so just push the piston in a bit and the caliper is off anyway. I then use a pair of long nosed pliers. Put the pliers through the hole in the caliper first, then grip the rubber sleeve and pull back through the hole (not sure if this is the method in the video above - can’t be arsed to watch it).
Appreciate 0