E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > FCP Euro Vaico Disa

01-06-2021, 09:56 AM   #23
matteblue3er
Captain
Rep
Drives: Racecar

I've heard the aftermarket ones fail pretty fast. I wouldn't mind use aftermarket for the outer since its easy to replace but I would do OEM for the inner since you need to remove the manifold for replacement
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 07:04 PM   #24
gT-BMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06' 325i 6spd

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike5124 View Post
This is a video of how my Vaico DISAs sound like. I also ran a INPA test afterwards and the DME presented no fault codes. The actuator noise seems normal to me, and not very excessive. Looking forward to installing my 3-Stage Intake Manifold soon...

sounds like your inner disa is lubed up!!! mine dont sound like that!!!! but mine being as loud as it is, still works my car is a blast to drive again. i always get that low end kick feels like vtec. i enjoy going out for a drive all over again i love it and i hope it doesnt break.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 09:12 PM   #25
E92William
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 328xi

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Well after waiting for a while I finally managed to pick up a used 3 stage manifold which happened to have a set of Vaico disa valves inside of it. Of course since I have no warranty to care about, I tested and opened them both. (Pic #1)

Large valve:

The large valve actuated good and quick, issue at first glance is the green gasket that is starting to fall apart. (Pic #2) When opened the valve does seem to have already had some PCV oil starting to get through the shaft seal.

Small valve:

Small valve did not actuate at all and had a light amount of flap-shaft play. It sounded as if the motor was turning and not stopping but it wasn't turning anything. After I opened the valve I saw that one of the ICs had desoldered from the board (Pics 3&4). I put an OEM board in the valve and the motor now stops when it should but nothing moved, the motor has a little drive in front that turns the worm gear and this was squashed all against the motor so it wasn't making contact with the worm and turning the valve (Pic #5). Green seals also a bit rough.

These are the 2nd valves I see with this board design, only other were some bad Chinese valves a friend had in a manifold he got. The motors are open in the back where the brushes are which I think would make it easier for oil to get inside and slow them down (Pic #6). Boards and motors are all soldered to the housing so they don't move which is smart. I think these are a Chinese valve that has been rebadged and or made with higher quality standards as the motors are the same as other Chinese valves, although faster. No idea what the age is, maybe a couple years at most.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
gT-BMW203.00
      01-08-2021, 01:48 PM   #26
gT-BMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
sup yall just want to update this thread, the inner disa finally failed. the outer disa still works fine. guess ill send the inner disa back to fcp or hopefully they can give me a credit for it so i can put it towards the oem inner disa.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 03:39 PM   #27
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gT-BMW View Post
sup yall just want to update this thread, the inner disa finally failed. the outer disa still works fine. guess ill send the inner disa back to fcp or hopefully they can give me a credit for it so i can put it towards the oem inner disa.
Interesting...keep us posted on what they say. In honesty, wouldn't blame them for telling you to take a hike (ie. we'll just replace the part you bought). Same for my Vaico windshield wipers with that stupid white logo....would love to just "trade up" instead of painting another set.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 08:19 PM   #28
E92William
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
What even failed on it though? Just doesn't actuate anymore?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 10:14 PM   #29
mike5124
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i (E90)

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Wow, sorry to hear that.

How did you know it failed, did the car throw a CEL? Hopefully, FCP Euro can amend the issue for you, but it's a shame you would have to do the labor again.

I'm honestly surprised why FCP Euro recently started selling these DISAs despite these failure rates. It's unfortunate the OEM ones are so expensive. Best of luck with the repairs.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 02:19 PM   #30
gT-BMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Finally had a chance to remove the disa valves. I installed the stock single stage manifold. this sucks i was really enjoying the car. So final conclusion even tho FCP Euro is selling these and have lifetime warrenty, these are JUNK. I do not recommend buying aftermarket inner disa. However i must say that the outer disa still works fine. If you need to replace the outer disa, this might be a decent choice but i dunno. there both going back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewater328 View Post
Interesting...keep us posted on what they say. In honesty, wouldn't blame them for telling you to take a hike (ie. we'll just replace the part you bought). Same for my Vaico windshield wipers with that stupid white logo....would love to just "trade up" instead of painting another set.
I called FCP euro, they said as long as its within 90 days i can get a full refund. im returning both viaco disas. Even though i can remove and install the intake manifold in 40 mins or less, i dont want to keep doing this every month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92William View Post
What even failed on it though? Just doesn't actuate anymore?
It made a loud noise and the flap not move

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike5124 View Post
Wow, sorry to hear that.

How did you know it failed, did the car throw a CEL? Hopefully, FCP Euro can amend the issue for you, but it's a shame you would have to do the labor again.

I'm honestly surprised why FCP Euro recently started selling these DISAs despite these failure rates. It's unfortunate the OEM ones are so expensive. Best of luck with the repairs.
I didnt bother checking for codes, i will check to see if it did throw a code but it made a loud noise. I thought that since FCP is selling these that maybe these were of better quality. i honestly think there the same quality as the china disa. its no good.

I included a video of what it sounded like:

Appreciate 2
4 Doors1166.50
      01-15-2021, 02:39 PM   #31
E92William
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
I know exactly what happened there. These valves have to have been assembled by a moron or Vaico quality control is nonexistent.

The issue here lies with the motor which has a drive at the front of it, this drive is basically two metal ears that are on the shaft and they can move forward or backwards on installation but won't move once everything is put together, if these ears are pushed too far back against the front of the motor they won't make contact with the worm gear and turn the flap. The used small Vaico disa I got had that same exact problem.

Also I would bet your small disa had the IC that controls everything on the board fall off the circuit like my used one did aswell, this causes the motor to just run non stop, which is why you don't hear short bursts of the motor noise then stops and you just hear the motor constantly hauling ass.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
gT-BMW203.00
      08-12-2022, 04:06 PM   #32
toy4two
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Quote:
Good investigation. I think the gear machining is a good point.
so cut open the original BMW DISAs and move the gears into the new Chinese knockoff?

Sounds like the way to go is buy the large Vaico DISA and the official BMW small DISA. Anything other than that and you'll be doing it twice. Really hope Vaico figures out the small DISA design

Last edited by toy4two; 08-12-2022 at 04:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 08:15 AM   #33
mike5124
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i (E90)

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4two View Post
Quote:
Good investigation. I think the gear machining is a good point.
so cut open the original BMW DISAs and move the gears into the new Chinese knockoff?

Sounds like the way to go is buy the large Vaico DISA and the official BMW small DISA. Anything other than that and you'll be doing it twice. Really hope Vaico figures out the small DISA design
It's been almost exactly a year since install and I have no issues with my Vaico DISAs, both big and small. Put on about 15k miles during the time.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2022, 06:21 PM   #34
jadams161
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 335i. 2011 E90 328xi

Just reading thru this post as I recently picked up a 2011 328i with the N51. Learning about what to check on this particular engine and stumbled onto the whole DISA valve thing. ( I have a 2009 335i so familiar with the normal bmw stuff). I am doing a nose to tail service on it at 137k, fluids, tune up, etc. I pulled the intake to do the seals and the OFHG, and it sounded like I had golf ball inside. Removed the left DISA and found the flap detached. I am confident that the prior owner had been driving like that for a long time. I cannot believe how lucky I am that it did not loose the rod into the valves. I was about to pull the trigger on new valves when I found that my car has the 15 year 150,000 mile emissions warranty that will cover the DISA valves. Sucks that I have to out it all back together but getting free BMW parts is worth it.
Appreciate 0