E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Where to start (with mods that is) on a 07 335i?

11-10-2014, 02:20 PM   #1
ritzzzzzwik
Captain
Rep
Drives: SO M4 MT

Where to start (with mods that is) on a 07 335i?

I recently bought a 07 335i coupe. I am new to the BMW world and I wanted to get some advice from the more seasoned gentlemen/ladies.

I read though various posts, and see that JB4/JB+ and one of the most popular items. So that on my list. That said I am not looking to mod it too heavily. I know its a 335i and not an M3, and I dont want to spend bags full in trying to morph it into something that it isn't.

But I feel, BMW have been a little dishonest with the car, for eg: not having a lsd. I cant see why the limited slip diffs had to be reserved only for the M cars! Its takes a lot more than a lsd to make an M. Coming from vehicles like 350Z and RX8, I definitely feel the LSD missing. For me RWD loses some of its character it it hasnt got one.

Then there is the heating, I dot think that too much of an issue, becasue it does not ever go past the 240-250 mark, but I can see how that may be an issue on the track. That said it wont be seeing too many track days; maybe one or two a year.

So here are the questions, and you suggestions are welcome.

What should be the first enhancement - JB4, a Limited Slip Diff, or an Oil Cooler?

What other modification you feel are an absolute must (please bear in mind I an not looking for an M3 Killer, I just want the car to be what it should have been coming out of the factory)

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 02:33 PM   #2
E46driver
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 N51 328i

Well you'll probably get more better responses if you post this in the turbo section.

If your looking for a LSD, quaife and wavetrac seem to be the choice of most people on the forum. Now I haven't driven a stock 335 but I have driven a fbo 135 with jb4 and honestly if I were you, I'd be looking for some power first.

Both modifications will greatly enhance the driving experience but an LSD will run you around 2k whereas the tune will run you a couple hundred dollars. The choice is yours.

EDIT:

For information on running your car on the track, there is a section in the forum that will run you through preparations you should make before running the n54 hard like that. I believe they say it comes undercoolled from the factory an will need some upgrades to keep doing runs. Anyhow GL with your endeavors and welcome to the world of Bavarian motors!
2009 Alpine White E92 N51 328i Automagic | Premium & Sport Pkg. | Coral Red/Black Dakota Leather Interior | M-Spor | BMW Performance Exhaust | Active Autowerke Headers | BBS CH-R | CPS Front Lip | Performance Front Grills | 888Concepts Custom Headlights (GONE)

2011 Alpine White E90 N55 335i Automagic
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 02:35 PM   #3
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

I would start in the right section.
      11-10-2014, 02:36 PM   #4
SDemetris
FSAE Dude
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi

Youre in the wrong section... but anyways dont get a jb4. Cobb AP is better. Lsd should be put behind other suspension upgrades. You should get an oil catch can also to prevent so much buildup on the valves.. then idk where you live so idk about the temperatures there. That will probably determine if/when you need an oil cooler..
you should also be sure to save a lot for turbos, wastegates, fuel pumps, etc. 07 335s are a mess when it comes to reliability
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 02:41 PM   #5
WRichieX
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e93 6MT

Garage List
I second e46driver.....go FBO. first thing I did was the bmw power performance kit version 2 (cooling system, exhaust and chip. maybe some other stuff). I did it to preserve the warranty but now I wish I went with something else. Second, DCI. But if you're going to mod, you probably want to upgrade your chargepipe as I've read that the stock one blows even with just a little power upgrade. So my next will be intercooler, chargepipe and tune.

Good luck, once you get started it'll be hard to stop. lol.

07 BMW 335i E93 6MT (Praying neighborhood doesn't get flooded...again)
04 Infiniti G35 Coupe 6MT (Flooded)
08 Audi TT 2.0T DSG (Flooded)
03 Subaru WRX 5MT (Flooded)
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 03:17 PM   #6
WilliamS
GoofBall
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 N54 Xdrive

If you are going to track the car an oil cooler if you dont have one should be on the top of the list. If not and your just a highway or red light warrior then its not as important.

For power start with a tune, either get a Cobb or OFT. The Cobb will take your further in the future, but for a bolt on car or no mods the OFT has a ton of potential for its low price as they can be picked up under $300 bucks and can really transform the car with 0 mods at all. The Cobb has much more long term potential because it has more variables and support but again if you are not going all out OFT is a neat little toy.

LSD will improve track days substantially but again if this is an expensive option to add to the car, but again adds a ton of fun to the car for launches and cornering without burning 1 tire off the car. Tires can help greatly in terms of traction and help eliminate some of the need for the LSD, but it will not completely replace the need for it. You can easily lay down a set of stripes with these cars even with the open diff.

There are really 2 directions to go. If you aren't going all out and don't plan on over modifying the car to needing turbos and insanity I would go this way.
1) OFT with stage 1 tune
2) Charge Pipe <--- even with factory boost they can and do crack
3) Lowering springs/coilover and Swaybars
4) Intake/Downpipes <---- I would do at the same time, if you increase air in also increase air out
5) Intercooler

These items alone will let you have a lot of fun without breaking the bank or the car. You could add an oil cooler to this setup and still have a trackable car but the car will have its limits.

If you are planning on tracking the car and really spend a day of it there is another list

1) Oil Cooler <--- even a stock car can warm up in a few laps
2) Cobb AP with a protune or Wedge/Q tune
3) Lowering coilover and swaybars
4) Intercooler as the stock on will not help you after 5 mins of hard driving
5) LSD <--- I put this before intake and downpipes as even through the stock systems you can get much more power that the stock filter and cats can handle and flow
6) Intake and Downpipes
7) Low pressure fuel pump and E85
8) Recallibrate Protune

These are suggestions as with anything else these are based on opinion and everyone has one. Regardless there are a million ways to go with these cars all of them will make the car more fun.

You will notice as Im also non piggy back. I have had them and now I do not with more power and smoother power delivery. They are for some people just not for all. Terry and Shiv are good guys, both will answer an email in minutes and help you out. The piggyback era is now over in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 03:41 PM   #7
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
You wont be able to match a 328i, so sell 335i buy 328i. Its just a $3-5k difference
Best mod for sure.

... Jk
I vote for LSD & Suspension and braking before power. As hard as a path this is, faster acceleration is addicitive and the reason we start a mod...

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is

Last edited by andrey_gta; 11-10-2014 at 03:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 08:00 PM   #8
ritzzzzzwik
Captain
Rep
Drives: SO M4 MT

Thanks everyone for your thoughts...And I did re-post this in the right section (thanks for pointing that out too )

But before we kill this thread what manufacturer/vendor would suggest for things like:-
1) Charge Pipe
4) Intake/Downpipes
5) Intercooler
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 08:27 PM   #9
MarkkyyMan
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 128i

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 09:27 PM   #10
Johnny Boost
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '21 M850i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritzzzzzwik View Post
Thanks everyone for your thoughts...And I did re-post this in the right section (thanks for pointing that out too )

But before we kill this thread what manufacturer/vendor would suggest for things like:-
1) Charge Pipe
4) Intake/Downpipes
5) Intercooler
1) Charge Pipe - VRSF, BMS, ER
4) Intake/Downpipes - BMS, VRSF, AFe
5) Intercooler - VRSF

I would do the tune/chargepipe/e85, then downpipes, FMIC, and intake last.

As others have stated, re-post this in the N54 section to have your questions answered correctly. They will be much more knowledgeable.
Appreciate 0