E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Body Shop's opinion on coatings

05-13-2015, 08:07 AM   #1
MiniXP
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 335i, 06 X5 3.0

Body Shop's opinion on coatings

I was getting a door ding fixed at a local body shop and while I was waiting I started talking to an older guy that works there.

I was asking him if I should wait any amount of time before putting a wax or sealant on (he said no, what are people's opinion, is it ok to put wax or selant on fresh paint)?

I asked him what his opinion of coatings like opti coat is and he said he thinks they're no good because the paint needs to "breathe."

Has anyone heard this before and what's your opinion? I don't really buy it as if that were true I don't think coatings would be as popular as they are. Maybe they just suck to deal with if you're trying to repaint a panel and that's why the body shop doesn't like them.
      05-13-2015, 09:44 AM   #2
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

IF the paint needs to "breathe" later in life, why would he recommend it doesn't matter how soon after a panel is painted to cover it up so it can't breathe, during the time it needs to breathe the most????
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 09:50 AM   #3
MiniXP
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
IF the paint needs to "breathe" later in life, why would he recommend it doesn't matter how soon after a panel is painted to cover it up so it can't breathe, during the time it needs to breathe the most????
I was talking about 2 different things in my post.

He said waxing was fine right away.

He said he thinks coatings such as opticoat are no good.
      05-13-2015, 03:21 PM   #4
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Wax and sealant both, at the least, slow down the "breathing" process. Doing that right as the paint is trying to outgas/cure . . .
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 04:56 PM   #5
ThEnder
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI N54 6MT

I've had panels on my car painted at two different body shops and both times I was told not to polish, wax, or otherwise mess with the painted panel for 1-2 weeks.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 05:32 PM   #6
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

Typically new paint needs to cure or out gas for a week or two, after that you can wax/seal. As far as coatings go, I use OptiCoat on our truck as it sits outside and is our tow vehicle for the boats. I've been using it for 3 years and apply once a year after a small correction polish. Never had an issue. I personally would not take much credence into anything he said.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 11:57 PM   #7
psnt1ol
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
Typically new paint needs to cure or out gas for a week or two, after that you can wax/seal. As far as coatings go, I use OptiCoat on our truck as it sits outside and is our tow vehicle for the boats. I've been using it for 3 years and apply once a year after a small correction polish. Never had an issue. I personally would not take much credence into anything he said.
+1

Spot on...

Maybe he is referring to a single stage paint system...
      05-14-2015, 08:53 AM   #8
SHEEDI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i - Sport PKG

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [8.50]
Paint doesn't breathe caz its coated with factory clear coat, so its clear coat that we coat with optocoat or cquartz
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 09:18 AM   #9
MiniXP
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThEnder View Post
I've had panels on my car painted at two different body shops and both times I was told not to polish, wax, or otherwise mess with the painted panel for 1-2 weeks.
Yea I've been told 30 days before doing anything at other body shops.

This body shop was highly recommended by just about everybody in my town, but I hve seemed to have bad luck with them so far.

I got the car back and there were imperfections in the new paint and a couple dull spots that looked like they sanded and didn't polish it well enough. There was also over spray all over the opposite side of the car.

I just dropped it back off to have all of that cleaned up, so I'm hoping they do a good job this time.