E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Overheating after water pump/thermostat replacement

08-13-2018, 08:56 AM   #23
MiRhodes
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

UPDATE| So today my car is overheating right away after 10 mins of driving. Usually i could turn the car off and back on and everything works fine for about a half an hr and it does it again. Well I thought it completely went out today so I shut the car off. There was a TON of pressure in the coolant tank so i bled that out and for laughs I purged the system in hopes that the water pump would kick on.. Well I turned the car onto the on position and adjusted the heat and held the gas on for 10 seconds. I got out of the car and didnt hear the pump running like I usually do. I then went to release the cap and heard a bunch of bubbles and then the pump kicked on (10-15 seconds after initiating the pump cycle). The pump did its thing and started the car and right back down to 185 degree temp for about 5 mins then back up to 250. I have no clue what is going on here so please let me know if you've seen this before and what it could be. remember this is a new pump.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 01:01 PM   #24
arkie6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
A sticking thermostat would cause this. Are you sure the thermostat was replaced? Did the shop give you back your old parts?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 01:58 PM   #25
MiRhodes
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkie6 View Post
A sticking thermostat would cause this. Are you sure the thermostat was replaced? Did the shop give you back your old parts?
No I did not get my parts back. The owner of the shop will not answer my calls or texts. I’m starting to think I was scammed out of 800 dollars
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 09:00 PM   #26
MiRhodes
Private First Class
Rep

UPDATE| well i had enough today and decided to pull the water pump myself. I get under the car and found that the “mechanic” didn’t replace anything I paid for. 800 dollars down the drain as he won’t answer my calls or emails now. He is a mobile mechanic so no way to track him down. Have lawyers looking to my case to get the 800 back so we will see how it plays out. Such a shame people do this to others that give them business.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 09:06 PM   #27
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiRhodes View Post
UPDATE| well i had enough today and decided to pull the water pump myself. I get under the car and found that the “mechanic” didn’t replace anything I paid for. 800 dollars down the drain as he won’t answer my calls or emails now. He is a mobile mechanic so no way to track him down. Have lawyers looking to my case to get the 800 back so we will see how it plays out. Such a shame people do this to others that give them business.
Wow wtf... man that sucks. Was the guy a random con man or he actually had a reputable business?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 11:00 PM   #28
MiRhodes
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Wow wtf... man that sucks. Was the guy a random con man or he actually had a reputable business?
Well the story goes:

I only took my car to a reputable shop in Fort Lauderdale called redline bimmer. Great shop. A technician there did some work to my car and then broke off and started his own mobile shop where he will come to your house and fix your car. He reached out as he knew I needed a valve cover and came to the house and went smooth. Then the water pump went about three weeks later so I called him up and that is where all of this went haywire. I said I’d provide the parts and he told me if he orders them for me he would warranty them so I gave him 539 dollars for parts (even though I knew they were only 400 in ecs) but I figured the warranty for two years labor would be worth it. I then paid him another 220 dollars after the job was “done”. He had me drop my car off at a garage he was working at and he called me about 2 hrs later saying it was done and he’d drop it off. Well as soon as he got to my place the car overheated which should have been a hugeeee red flag. I then said we should order the parts again and he reinsured me he would as ecs would take it back no problem. Well that’s the last I heard of him... complete scam as the pump was never taken out as I found out today when I did it myself.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 11:04 AM   #29
C4maro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

That does suck.

When these cars overheat, is it as dangerous as people make it out to be? Because if engine oil temps don't increase abnormally then wouldn't the engine be fine as far as warping and that kind of stuff? I would think oil temp would increase a lot before that? and it seems once the coolant gets too hot it won't let you drive anywhere. Basically my question is wouldn't you be fine to drive it home after getting red coolant light if you keep an eye on oil temps and limp home?
Appreciate 0