E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: TVandNav2Go

07-11-2006, 01:50 PM   #67
gmcwv
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '06 330i Sport

It was on the very last page at the very end. After it talks about pluging NAV2GO unit into the NAVI monitor.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2006, 05:40 PM   #68
saini023
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
hooked uo my sound the other day..works great thanks to xcalibr..thought i would change my ACC today currently its connected to the cig lighter..so i took out the multi meter and tested out the fuse BMW06 said..and i get 12V while the car is turned off..so i tested all the 7.5A fuses..same thing..read the fuse card.tried the radio fuse..same thing..so if anyone know exactly what fuse is an ACC please let me know..maybe i tried the wrong fuse..but i'm gettin 12V on the both sides of the fuse..which means my module is still getting power..anyone find a ACC yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW06
Today I successfully installed TVANDNAV2GO module in my E90.

Well it was not that easy, it had few bumps, but in the end it was just perfect. Thanks to xcalibr & longtran for their install pictures, it gave me lot of courage to do it myself.

Initially I did not understanding clearly the power (constant/ACC, where to get it) stuff, but during install I learned few things that I think I will share with you guys.

PROVED THEORY: Fusebox fuses behave just like the accessory they support.
i.e. IF a fuse is for home-link/PDC/sunroof then it will get current only in 'IGNITION' mode (when ignition is ON).
While if fuse is for courtesy/dome lights then it will get current in 'RADIO/ACCESSORY' mode (when radio is turned ON).

With this theory, we get the same result as what xclaibr gets using 'low voltage trigger and it solves longtran's 'dash power tap' handicap (TVANDNAV2GO unit, and hence the i-drive LCD screen, running only in 'IGNITION' mode).

So the fuse I tapped for ACC is fuse 5 from the factory fuse diagram. And for +12V, I tapped fuse 47.
RESULT: Your install is clean without splicing of factory wires for power purpose.

Well my camera could not give me desired picture of my fusebox, so I am posting my markings on one of the posted picture of fusebox in another thread (hardwire V1 to fusebox).
Mods:20% Tint F/R, Xenon Interior Lights, Xenenis Tru-match Fog Lights, , V1 (hardwire), Black and White Roundels, Blackline Tailights, White Angel Eyes (PMB), (2) 12'' Kicker L7,TvandNav2go, Playstation 2, ACS Roof Spoiler, 5 Series iDrive Leather Knob, Brex kit
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2006, 09:34 PM   #69
BMW06
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive35i

Did u check it after car went to sleep mode ?
I may be wrong, but my theory is that -- it will die after car goes to sleep.

In any case, you still get what you want... a constant power source in ACCESSORY mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saini023
hooked uo my sound the other day..works great thanks to xcalibr..thought i would change my ACC today currently its connected to the cig lighter..so i took out the multi meter and tested out the fuse BMW06 said..and i get 12V while the car is turned off..so i tested all the 7.5A fuses..same thing..read the fuse card.tried the radio fuse..same thing..so if anyone know exactly what fuse is an ACC please let me know..maybe i tried the wrong fuse..but i'm gettin 12V on the both sides of the fuse..which means my module is still getting power..anyone find a ACC yet?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2006, 12:22 AM   #70
xcalibr
First Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E90 325xi

Garage List
2006 E90 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Did u check it after car went to sleep mode ?
I may be wrong, but my theory is that -- it will die after car goes to sleep.

In any case, you still get what you want... a constant power source in ACCESSORY mode.
Hey guys, fuse 5 that BMW06 found should work, we just wired up LWL's car this way... works great! Used it for ACC for both her module and her dvd player. If you measure it with a multimeter, it would appear to always be on because the lights are supposed to be on at that time. If you sit real still inside your car and wait for the lights to go off and take another multimeter reading, it'll go dead.

Major add-a-circuit fuse tap shortage at the Autozone in Fremont tho --major SUCKAGE, so we had to make do with some regular fuse taps from Kragen --not as clean/easy, but just as effective. Despite this, the install a second time around with some helping hands went much quicker. Let's see, we got started at about 6:45 and got interrupted at about 8:30 cuz we had to get another part. Got back at like 9:20 and finished by 10, so total time just under 2.5 hours for module wiring, audio, and dvd player installation. Fun times Ben and Elaine, my fellow UCD alums! Hahah, enjoy.
      07-12-2006, 12:43 AM   #71
saini023
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
good point..forgot about the car going into sleep mode..i'll give it a shot
2morro..where are you guys getting your mini fuse taps? i got my fuse tap for the constant from radio shack..and that worked..but to big for the mini to use for Fuse #5..i tried 2 kragen stores and they thought i came from outer space asking for fuse taps..i looked in the fuse and electrical system..and didnt see them..

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcalibr
Hey guys, fuse 5 that BMW06 found should work, we just wired up LWL's car this way... works great! Used it for ACC for both her module and her dvd player. If you measure it with a multimeter, it would appear to always be on because the lights are supposed to be on at that time. If you sit real still inside your car and wait for the lights to go off and take another multimeter reading, it'll go dead.

Major add-a-circuit fuse tap shortage at the Autozone in Fremont tho --major SUCKAGE, so we had to make do with some regular fuse taps from Kragen --not as clean/easy, but just as effective. Despite this, the install a second time around with some helping hands went much quicker. Let's see, we got started at about 6:45 and got interrupted at about 8:30 cuz we had to get another part. Got back at like 9:20 and finished by 10, so total time just under 2.5 hours for module wiring, audio, and dvd player installation. Fun times Ben and Elaine, my fellow UCD alums! Hahah, enjoy.
Mods:20% Tint F/R, Xenon Interior Lights, Xenenis Tru-match Fog Lights, , V1 (hardwire), Black and White Roundels, Blackline Tailights, White Angel Eyes (PMB), (2) 12'' Kicker L7,TvandNav2go, Playstation 2, ACS Roof Spoiler, 5 Series iDrive Leather Knob, Brex kit
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2006, 02:38 AM   #72
xcalibr
First Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep

Garage List
2006 E90 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by saini023
good point..forgot about the car going into sleep mode..i'll give it a shot
2morro..where are you guys getting your mini fuse taps? i got my fuse tap for the constant from radio shack..and that worked..but to big for the mini to use for Fuse #5..i tried 2 kragen stores and they thought i came from outer space asking for fuse taps..i looked in the fuse and electrical system..and didnt see them..
I bought a couple of big fuse taps from Kragen, and just cut one down to size with metal shears to fit in the mini fuse slot. Just be aware that the fuse tap has to be one-sided (on the fused side) to preserve the fuse --otherwise you've just bridged it together, and rendered the fuse useless. At Kragen, they call it something accessories... so the uninitiated won't know what you're talking about.
      07-12-2006, 02:54 AM   #73
LWL
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcalibr

Have to give Dylan, aka. xcalibr , big big to his kindness and his expertise on helping me to install the unit; it probably would take DAYS for me and Ben to figure all these out. couldn't done it without Mr. Audio Expert, (new name for xcalibr :rocks: ). I was watching a music video dvd on my way home, big on my face the whole trip. It definately worths the money.

One question thou. When we were driving home, we found that while using the dvd, somewhere from the engine bay created a "weeeee-ing" type of sound. The sound pitch would go up and down constantly with the engine speed (higher RPM, higher pitches, lower RPM, lower pitches). Alternatively, if I switched back to normal i-drive mode, the weird sound disappeared. I am not sure if I stated it clearly, hahha. Anyone know what might be the cause of the weeee-ing sound??

Dylan, thank you again for your help. Have fun in Taiwan.
      07-12-2006, 03:53 AM   #74
xcalibr
First Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep

Garage List
2006 E90 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LWL
Have to give Dylan, aka. xcalibr , big big to his kindness and his expertise on helping me to install the unit; it probably would take DAYS for me and Ben to figure all these out. couldn't done it without Mr. Audio Expert, (new name for xcalibr :rocks: ). I was watching a music video dvd on my way home, big on my face the whole trip. It definately worths the money.

One question thou. When we were driving home, we found that while using the dvd, somewhere from the engine bay created a "weeeee-ing" type of sound. The sound pitch would go up and down constantly with the engine speed (higher RPM, higher pitches, lower RPM, lower pitches). Alternatively, if I switched back to normal i-drive mode, the weird sound disappeared. I am not sure if I stated it clearly, hahha. Anyone know what might be the cause of the weeee-ing sound??

haha.. the weee-ing sound is probably caused by some of teh power wires coming too close to or overlapping with the audio wires... sorry, I guess I was not very careful tucking away the wires... try opening the panel back up and moving the wires around so that they don't come near each other. the other way to do it if the problem doesn't go away after you move it all around is to wire a power signal noise cancellation thing in-line with the power (I actually have an extra one of these if you need it).

Also, another possibility is the white audio cable I used on your car. I think it was slightly different from the one I used in my car. The one in my car was shielded, but the one in your car was not. But i didn't run that wire anywhere near any power, so hopefully that is not a big deal.

Just try moving around the wires first and drive around to see if it gets the sound.

If all this fails, there is a possibility that something (both module and dvd I guess because they use common ground) is improperly grounded --which I hope not because then it's a pain to wire another ground.

Let me know how it goes!
      07-12-2006, 06:24 AM   #75
ctgazer
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: a dilapidated ride

Garage List
2006 e90  [0.00]
^^ just tell people its a turbo happened with all my friends dvd's in their car also..may be also something to do with the current running while accelerating
      07-12-2006, 06:25 AM   #76
ctgazer
Major General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2006 e90  [0.00]
hey LWL..might we also ask what power you used for your dvd player?
      07-12-2006, 10:31 AM   #77
BMW06
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

xcalibr said in his post that they are using fuse #5 from fusebox to power NAV2GO unit as well as DVD player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctgazer
hey LWL..might we also ask what power you used for your dvd player?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2006, 11:05 AM   #78
edawg
Auto Icons
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xit

Holy shit balls batman this diy is awesome...I might try at home..
      07-12-2006, 11:34 AM   #79
edawg
Auto Icons
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xit

Holy shit balls batman this diy is awesome...I might try at home..
      07-12-2006, 11:47 AM   #80
xcalibr
First Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep

Garage List
2006 E90 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:
xcalibr said in his post that they are using fuse #5 from fusebox to power NAV2GO unit as well as DVD player.
Actually only using fuse #5 for the remote signal for both devices --I don't want to draw too much current from the interior lights.

I used an empty fuse slot for the +12V power for both the dvd player and the Nav2go module.
      07-12-2006, 02:23 PM   #81
saini023
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
finally got it done.. haha..the wheeing noise could be bad ground..or ur audio cable for the module is to close to ur A/C..that cause wheeing noise..but i doubt the audio wires are close to A/C..so probally just gotta change or clean out ur ground...good luck..

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWL
somewhere from the engine bay created a "weeeee-ing" type of sound. The sound pitch would go up and down constantly with the engine speed (higher RPM, higher pitches, lower RPM, lower pitches). Alternatively, if I switched back to normal i-drive mode, the weird sound disappeared. I am not sure if I stated it clearly, hahha. Anyone know what might be the cause of the weeee-ing sound??

Appreciate 0
      07-12-2006, 04:41 PM   #82
ctgazer
Major General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2006 e90  [0.00]
i nearly pee'd myself when i got a quote from an audio store here in toronto to hook up my dvd player...i said i already had the navtv unit installed and they said, "i-drive?!?!" hmm...gonna cost you $900...lol thats when i knew that he was saying "kindly, please leave...either come to us with nothing done, or you're gonne have to give us lots of $$ to finished a botched job u did yourself..."
      07-12-2006, 05:13 PM   #83
saini023
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
i nearly pee'd myself when i got a quote from an audio store here in toronto to hook up my dvd player...i said i already had the navtv unit installed and they said, "i-drive?!?!" hmm...gonna cost you $900...lol thats when i knew that he was saying "kindly, please leave...either come to us with nothing done, or you're gonne have to give us lots of $$ to finished a botched job u did yourself..."
$900 haha thats funny..i used to work a car audio shop..and a fellow installer would give customer high prices also..one day i asked him why..he said its a brand new..i dnt know much about it..dont want to mess it up...i guess he had to much self pride to tell the customer i dont know how to..$900..double the value of the navtv unit...some people are insane...GL on finding another place..
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2006, 05:45 PM   #84
xcalibr
First Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep

Garage List
2006 E90 325xi  [0.00]
I just got my backup cam... snuck off of work to go home and grab it --installed it in about 10 minutes because I never put the trunk back together, and I had everything prewired. I took some pix which I'll post up later tonight, and add to the DIY part 4.
      07-13-2006, 09:10 PM   #85
BMW06
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

xcalibr,

Can you post some more pictures of your backup cam mounted?
How far is it popping out? Did u stick it to the license plate?

Thanks.

Last edited by BMW06; 07-14-2006 at 09:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2006, 09:30 PM   #86
xcalibr
First Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep

Garage List
2006 E90 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:
xcalibr,

Can you post some more pictures of your backup cam mounted?
How far is it popping out? Did u stick it to the license plate?

Thanks.
I could... if I wasn't halfway around the world from my car... I'll post it up when I get back. And just to let everyone know, I'm having a slight problem with the backup cam install --didn't have time to diagnose it before I left, but basically the backup cam blanks out and flickers a lot when the engine is on, but when it's off and just in ignition mode, it works great --I'm thinking something or another is drawing too much current or something.
      07-17-2006, 09:16 PM   #87
ctgazer
Major General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2006 e90  [0.00]
who's else's navtv2go sometimes shows strage lines....and discoloration? mine does that and im beginning to think that theres something wrong...i foudn out what was wrong with my dvd player also...stupid blown fuse..fixed..maybe its the wiring...i hope not:mad:

it pissed me off so much i took everything out...now im just back to stock and no navtv unit...maybe ill just wait till friggin christmas when i go to NY and have DOM install it...people here are quoting me testicles to install them...anyone kno of a good place in toronto that's not gonna cost me my testies?
      07-17-2006, 10:43 PM   #88
saini023
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
wat power source to use? fuse box? i was havin problems at first when i used the cig lighter as my ACC..switched to fuse box.everything works great now.

Quote:
who's else's navtv2go sometimes shows strage lines....and discoloration? mine does that and im beginning to think that theres something wrong...i foudn out what was wrong with my dvd player also...stupid blown fuse..fixed..maybe its the wiring...i hope not:mad:

it pissed me off so much i took everything out...now im just back to stock and no navtv unit...maybe ill just wait till friggin christmas when i go to NY and have DOM install it...people here are quoting me testicles to install them...anyone kno of a good place in toronto that's not gonna cost me my testies?
Appreciate 0