E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: TVandNav2Go

07-18-2006, 12:47 AM   #89
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Man hoping to get mine installed soon when I get my DVD player.
LWL, what brand of DVD player did you use? Was it like Long's?
I wanna be, I wanna be, I wanna be like loonng...
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2006, 12:57 AM   #90
LWL
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer
Man hoping to get mine installed soon when I get my DVD player.
LWL, what brand of DVD player did you use? Was it like Long's?
I wanna be, I wanna be, I wanna be like loonng...
Yea, I got the same one as Long. Its very slim, pretty good quality overall(except I dont like the look of its remote control )
      07-18-2006, 12:59 AM   #91
LWL
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctgazer
who's else's navtv2go sometimes shows strage lines....and discoloration? mine does that and im beginning to think that theres something wrong...i foudn out what was wrong with my dvd player also...stupid blown fuse..fixed..maybe its the wiring...i hope not:mad:

it pissed me off so much i took everything out...now im just back to stock and no navtv unit...maybe ill just wait till friggin christmas when i go to NY and have DOM install it...people here are quoting me testicles to install them...anyone kno of a good place in toronto that's not gonna cost me my testies?
I got no problem at all. I have no idea about the wiring, Mr. Audio Expert helped me with the installation.

One more thing about the disclaimer at the end of the instruction that came with the unit...........

Do we really need to disconnect the unit before we take our car to service, considering there are new software updates??????? pls help asap....
      07-18-2006, 03:00 AM   #92
xcalibr
First Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E90 325xi

Garage List
2006 E90 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LWL
I got no problem at all. I have no idea about the wiring, Mr. Audio Expert helped me with the installation.

One more thing about the disclaimer at the end of the instruction that came with the unit...........

Do we really need to disconnect the unit before we take our car to service, considering there are new software updates??????? pls help asap....
I seriously doubt it needs to be disconnected --I can't imagine a situation where this module would interfere with updates. Unless it is because the screen won't turn on because the module will have no power during programming is the only scenario I can remotely fathom --even this situation seems unlikely as they would have seperate diagnostic screens while programming (not relying on your idrive screen). But I guess there is always the chance that this module somehow does interfere with something... I just can't imagine what.
      07-18-2006, 03:05 AM   #93
xcalibr
First Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E90 325xi

Garage List
2006 E90 325xi  [0.00]
Just to note to all of you about my search for the half-din DVD/DivX players. I walked around everywhere... I went to electronics shops, computer shops, car audio shops, car parts stores (yellow hat is SO COOL, btw), BUT I can't find what I'm looking for. I guess eBay is still slightly better even if it's a lil more expensive than Taiwan no-tax bargain price. In the end, the searching high and low, and paying 100NT$ per taxi ride to remote bus-less areas of Taipei starts adding up against the small savings...

So sorry, no luck finding anything. I have a few days left, maybe I'll accidentally stumble across something... but right now it looks like I'll be purchasing the full-din tv/dvd/divx unit from ebay.
      07-18-2006, 11:56 AM   #94
LWL
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcalibr
Just to note to all of you about my search for the half-din DVD/DivX players. I walked around everywhere... I went to electronics shops, computer shops, car audio shops, car parts stores (yellow hat is SO COOL, btw), BUT I can't find what I'm looking for. I guess eBay is still slightly better even if it's a lil more expensive than Taiwan no-tax bargain price. In the end, the searching high and low, and paying 100NT$ per taxi ride to remote bus-less areas of Taipei starts adding up against the small savings...

So sorry, no luck finding anything. I have a few days left, maybe I'll accidentally stumble across something... but right now it looks like I'll be purchasing the full-din tv/dvd/divx unit from ebay.
Hahha........ its certainly hard to be in Taiwan without a car. But either way, parking fees or taxi costs are high, so costly to live in taipei.
      07-31-2006, 03:09 PM   #95
ntpcrew13
Lieutenant Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: Arctic e90 330i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by saini023
wat power source to use? fuse box? i was havin problems at first when i used the cig lighter as my ACC..switched to fuse box.everything works great now.
which fuse slots did you use? i was using fuse 5 and fuse 47 like bmw06 was using, but it seemed to still be drawing power when the car was off. i later switched to fuse 5 and to fuse 44, but i still get the same thing. my red standby light remains on all the time. can anyone tell me which fuse spot i should use so it doesnt drain my battery?

Appreciate 0
      08-01-2006, 09:41 AM   #96
BMW06
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntpcrew13
which fuse slots did you use? i was using fuse 5 and fuse 47 like bmw06 was using, but it seemed to still be drawing power when the car was off. i later switched to fuse 5 and to fuse 44, but i still get the same thing. my red standby light remains on all the time. can anyone tell me which fuse spot i should use so it doesnt drain my battery?
ntpcrew13,

Please see post #70 in this thread.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...7&postcount=70
The reason you see ur power on, if you are using slot #5 fuse, is that that draws current for 'courtesy lights' (i.e. dome lights/footwell lights etc.)
Remember when they turn on/off.
It shouldn't drain your battery, as xcalibr mentioned in his post.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2006, 10:43 AM   #97
ntpcrew13
Lieutenant Colonel
Philippines
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW06
ntpcrew13,

Please see post #70 in this thread.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...7&postcount=70
The reason you see ur power on, if you are using slot #5 fuse, is that that draws current for 'courtesy lights' (i.e. dome lights/footwell lights etc.)
Remember when they turn on/off.
It shouldn't drain your battery, as xcalibr mentioned in his post.
i came back to the car 30 minutes later and i saw the light still on my dvd player. also i got the battery icon on my dash 2 days later; so i just unplugged my dvd player. is there another slot i can use that wont drain the battery?

Appreciate 0
      08-02-2006, 12:07 AM   #98
saini023
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
do you drive your car daily? or does it stay parked? my car works fine no problems at all. althought i start my car everyday so the battery stays juiced up.

Quote:
i came back to the car 30 minutes later and i saw the light still on my dvd player. also i got the battery icon on my dash 2 days later; so i just unplugged my dvd player. is there another slot i can use that wont drain the battery?
Mods:20% Tint F/R, Xenon Interior Lights, Xenenis Tru-match Fog Lights, , V1 (hardwire), Black and White Roundels, Blackline Tailights, White Angel Eyes (PMB), (2) 12'' Kicker L7,TvandNav2go, Playstation 2, ACS Roof Spoiler, 5 Series iDrive Leather Knob, Brex kit
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2006, 01:29 AM   #99
Luongo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Porsche Carrera T

Quote:
Try the homelink fuse. That's where I connected my Valentine One to.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2006, 05:37 AM   #100
ntpcrew13
Lieutenant Colonel
Philippines
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luongo
Try the homelink fuse. That's where I connected my Valentine One to.
Luongo...

so are you saying i should use the homelink fuse for my fuse tap with yellow wires(substitute fuse 47 in bmw06 diagram with the homelink fuse)?

at this point i think i rather settle to use fuse slots that only power on when my ignition is on. please let me know which ones to use. thanks all for your input.

Appreciate 0
      08-02-2006, 08:10 AM   #101
Luongo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Porsche Carrera T

Quote:
Luongo...

so are you saying i should use the homelink fuse for my fuse tap with yellow wires(substitute fuse 47 in bmw06 diagram with the homelink fuse)?

at this point i think i rather settle to use fuse slots that only power on when my ignition is on. please let me know which ones to use. thanks all for your input.
Homelink is powered down as soon as the ignition is turned off, so it is the best candidate for your DVD player connection. I believe it was fuse 47.

If needed, you CAN power it on without the car running by pushing the start button 2~3 times without stepping on the brakes. This enables homelink, main headlights, sunroof, etc. while the motor is not running.

Hope this helps ntpcrew13!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2006, 08:15 AM   #102
ntpcrew13
Lieutenant Colonel
Philippines
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luongo
Homelink is powered down as soon as the ignition is turned off, so it is the best candidate for your DVD player connection. I believe it was fuse 47.

If needed, you CAN power it on without the car running by pushing the start button 2~3 times without stepping on the brakes. This enables homelink, main headlights, sunroof, etc. while the motor is not running.

Hope this helps ntpcrew13!

hey luongo... thanks for the quick response. ill give it a try monday since i will be busy all weekend. i see in ur sig that you added your spoiler already.. nice job. i wish i had your steering wheel; it looked awesome when i saw it a few weeks ago.

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2006, 11:09 PM   #103
AW330i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 330i

I am so happy I finished up the install on this this morning i decided to go ahead and cut the wires on the aux input and butsplice them in with the cable everything works perfectly and I get nothing but compliments now! haha just really happy to finally have it in and working!
      08-17-2006, 09:13 AM   #104
sesmero
195 PONIS!!!!
Spain
Rep
Drives: 320d

how is the correct position to mount fuse tap? and what's the better power source?

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...448#post402448
      08-17-2006, 11:46 AM   #105
BenMW
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Garage List
2007 330i coupe  [0.00]
2002 325ci  [0.00]
Anyone in Dallas that knows how to install this?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2006, 07:04 AM   #106
sesmero
195 PONIS!!!!
Spain
Rep

what's the better power source?
      08-27-2006, 02:32 AM   #107
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep

Okay so after a LOT of time gone by, I finally installed my tvnav module.
Thanks to Long and Xcalibr for taking the time to show pics and post the DIY.
I will say this: it's not as easy as it seems. The pics and instructions were great but I got stuck on several areas and had to do more work than necessary.
Here's my info
1) Step 8 was a biatch. The wire connectors were so tight on that I was afraid of yanking the wires out of the connector. I ended up popping out the switch and removing the wires from there
2) I think the LCD wire from step 15 is too short in general. After routing it, there isn't much room left over and you'll know what I mean later
3) Removing the stock LCD wire was a paid only because when I tried to follow the DIY, I noticed that the cable was not where Xcalibr said it was. Maybe because my car is newer they put it in differently. I had to trace it down and ended up removing the drivers side lower cover under the steering wheel and it was useless. Later I found the wire was tie strapped to another wire harness and so I cut off the strap and pulled the wire out. I even removed the top center speaker cover to see what the heck was going on.
4) Because I used the same DVD player as Long, I figured everything would fit okay... I was wrong. A) The DVD player has to be placed JUST right inside AND you need to remove the glove box to install it (or at least I did). I ended up drilling too many holes inside (boooo) and had to make adjustments to the brackets (screw hole positions) to make it fit. Then I found out later that I can't put the rear cover back on behind the DVD player to cover up the fuses because the DVD player is in the way
5) Wiring was easy peazy. I used the homelink fuse for ACC (red) and fuse 47 for yellow. I bought the mini add a fuse and regular size add a fuse taps.
6) So putting everything back... This was a ROYAL pain. The LCD wire that came with the module was too short. Trying to cram this box and all of the wiring back under the cover was a nightmare. There was NO WAY that this box and wiring could have fit any better than how I left it. The trick I found was NOT to try to use the plastic latch on the far right side of the lower cover but instead to just screw the 2 screws back in and shove the box over.
I'll try to take a picture of all this stuff another day because I spent too much time on this as it was. Maybe it's just me but I had a hell of an install.

Now here's what I think of the system. Overall it's good but having to switch using the remotes and putting it on Aux and getting the sound settings all right first before switching the movie on is a pain. I'm going to see if I can buy a small teachable remote with macros so I can just use 1 remote.
The picture quality is excellent and the sound is awesome using the aux jack and Logic 7.
I can't wait for the Idrive module to see what it can help with but overall I'm happy.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2006, 02:35 AM   #108
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMW
Anyone in Dallas that knows how to install this?
Ben
It's possible to do it yourself with some time and planning.
We're here to help
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2006, 02:39 AM   #109
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesmero
what's the better power source?
Use the homelink fuse for red (ACC) and fuse 47 for Yellow. That's it!
Just be sure to buy some add a circuit wire taps from Autozone. You need one mini and one regular type.
The exposed spades plug where the old fuse was (in the case of the homelink fuse) and the old fuse that you removed get's plugged in the slot with NO wire coming out. The new fuse is plugged in where the red wire is coming out of.
Take the wire that you want to crimp and shove it in the blue connector and crimp tightly. Repeat for other (yellow)
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2006, 11:29 AM   #110
sesmero
195 PONIS!!!!
Spain
Rep

sorry but i'm spanish and my english is not very good, wiretap is the same as fusetap? the fuse 5 is remoted by acc?

what's this? what function has?

what's V1?is this?

i don't understand this:

Use the homelink fuse for red (ACC) and fuse 47 for Yellow. That's it!
Just be sure to buy some add a circuit wire taps from Autozone. You need one mini and one regular type.
The exposed spades plug where the old fuse was (in the case of the homelink fuse) and the old fuse that you removed get's plugged in the slot with NO wire coming out. The new fuse is plugged in where the red wire is coming out of.
Take the wire that you want to crimp and shove it in the blue connector and crimp tightly. Repeat for other (yellow)

can you explain me in spanish and take some photos? thanks