E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Do I need to clean the engine bay now?

11-17-2019, 02:37 PM   #1
BeamerNooby
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw 328xi

Exclamation Do I need to clean the engine bay now?

So last night I had that plastic straw above my radiator crack and spray coolant all over my engine bay i was very surprised how much coolant i lost so fast from just a crack then after parking the car while inspecting the vent hose it snapped with almost no pressure. Long story short i changed the vent hose today with a 5/16 brake line and some clamps. Car is no longer leaking but it still smokes up like hell i assume from all the coolant spray from last night my question is will it all burn off eventually and stop smoking or should I detail the engine bay to get rid of it? The smoke can be really embarrassing sitting at a light lol.

Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 02:58 PM   #2
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

Yeah that crap happened to me too. AutoZone had a new one in stock which was nice. Just wipe down your engine bay with a degreaser. It'll eventually dry and leave a white residue.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 03:32 PM   #3
BeamerNooby
Private
Rep

Still getting clouds of smoke come out from underneath the hood when engine has warmed up. I checked the coolant levels and it hasn't dropped at all.
Anyone have any experience with getting rid of coolant residue the smoking is driving me nuts. Car drives perfectly no overheating its just that pipe bursting really made a mess
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 04:02 PM   #4
nissubaru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 335i MSport + 1990 300ZX TT

Can you open the hood and see where the smoke is coming from? I wouldn't expect it to smoke up that much but I also can't tell where all the coolant got sprayed. If it's still wet on top of the motor then I guess it could still smoke.

Personally I would take a water bottle or hose on low pressure and do a quick rinse of the engine bay. Search on cleaning an engine bay first, I would cover the alternator as well. But water should dilute the coolant and then just let it air dry.

Maybe think about changing your belt too.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 04:11 PM   #5
slowgan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Mine did the same thing for a little while after replacing the line, but I haven't seen anything for a year since then.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 04:15 PM   #6
AoS810
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 N51, 2011 E91 N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamerNooby View Post
Long story short i changed the vent hose today with a 5/16 brake line and some clamps.
Where did you purchase the brake line?

Also it looks like there are multiple sections on how you put it all back together.. was the original brake line too short so you added some extensions/nuts? Appreciate the clarification as I am replacing that hose preventatively.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 05:15 PM   #7
BeamerNooby
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissubaru View Post
Can you open the hood and see where the smoke is coming from? I wouldn't expect it to smoke up that much but I also can't tell where all the coolant got sprayed. If it's still wet on top of the motor then I guess it could still smoke.

Personally I would take a water bottle or hose on low pressure and do a quick rinse of the engine bay. Search on cleaning an engine bay first, I would cover the alternator as well. But water should dilute the coolant and then just let it air dry.

Maybe think about changing your belt too.
When I open the hood it seems like the smoke is coming from the bottom upwards and the plastic guard underneath is just moist. It also doesnt help that its freezing cold outside so it doesnt dry up and when it decides to smoke it looks much more intense thanks to the cold weather
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 05:17 PM   #8
BeamerNooby
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AoS810 View Post
Where did you purchase the brake line?

Also it looks like there are multiple sections on how you put it all back together.. was the original brake line too short so you added some extensions/nuts? Appreciate the clarification as I am replacing that hose preventatively.
I got it from part source like 7$ i believe, i couldnt get the original clamps off the hose to remove the plastic vent hose so i cut some of the hose itself right before each of the clamps and then ran the brake line end to end and put a clamp tight on each end.
Appreciate 0