E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Water pump or something else?

03-25-2024, 07:45 AM   #1
Mos6689
Rep
Drives: Z4 Coupe E86

Water pump or something else?

Hey all, looking for some help diagnosing this issue. So Friday I noticed the car had flat spots of acceleration after changing up a gear, like a 1-2 second delay with foot flat on accelerator before it decided to start accelerating. Then later that day I realised the fan in front of the radiator was on all the time. I’m taking from a cold start, wham full speed. I also noticed on that drive that the interior heater was giving out cold air on max temp with the car warmed up enough to give me warm air at least.

I went ahead and changed the thermostat on Saturday but problems still persist. Everything appears to be pointing to the water pump but it’s not making any noises and there doesn’t appear to be any leaks coming from it. Can it still have failed?

Tried to activate the pump by doing the bleeding process (ignition on, heater max temp, low fan, foot on accelerator for 10 seconds), it doesn’t appear to be doing anything. I should see a steady stream of water at the top of the expansion tank but nothing.

Could a blockage somewhere in the coolant system cause these symptoms? Or should I just bite the bullet and do the pump?

It’s a 318i 01/2012 E92.
Appreciate 0