E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Broke 6mm tip of rear shocks - help!

06-27-2015, 04:26 PM   #1
chinko
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

Broke 6mm tip of rear shocks - help!

So I guess Im put too much force and I broke the 6mm tip on top of the rear shock. It's the one you use to hold it into place and loosen the 16mm nut when removing from the trunk.

Any suggestion as to how to remove the shock now? Thinking about using vise grip, does it matter if the thread is going to be damaged? Otherwise, should I saw a line on top of the broken tip and then use a flat screwdriver to hold it into place?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2015, 08:43 PM   #2
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

Try an impact gun if you have space there and if you have access to such tool.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2015, 09:03 PM   #3
chinko
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaseP View Post
Try an impact gun if you have space there and if you have access to such tool.
tried and unfortunately, it doesnt fit. i did the vise grip approach, it damaged the threads a bit, but i was able turn the nut. problem us the nut caught up where the thread are damaged and the whole thing is rotating. now cant use the vise grip as there isnt enough space (about 4mm). cant screw it back in either...

is it safe to drive it until I find a dremel of something to cut the top to fit a flat head screwdriver to hold it still while turning the nut?

are there any better, less hacky way of solving this?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2015, 09:27 PM   #4
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinko View Post
tried and unfortunately, it doesnt fit. i did the vise grip approach, it damaged the threads a bit, but i was able turn the nut. problem us the nut caught up where the thread are damaged and the whole thing is rotating. now cant use the vise grip as there isnt enough space (about 4mm). cant screw it back in either...

is it safe to drive it until I find a dremel of something to cut the top to fit a flat head screwdriver to hold it still while turning the nut?

I have to tell you that the dremel idea is dumb. No offence! Here is what you do: Remove the wheel, lift the car off the ground, reach and pull down the bump stop, grab the shaft will lockable vise grips, leave in the shaft, go in the trunk and loosen the nut. Done.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2015, 09:49 PM   #5
chinko
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
I have to tell you that the dremel idea is dumb. No offence! Here is what you do: Remove the wheel, lift the car off the ground, reach and pull down the bump stop, grab the shaft will lockable vise grips, leave in the shaft, go in the trunk and loosen the nut. Done.
None taken feuer, glad you could answer, I found the dremel approach hacky (dumb if you would), but didn't know better as I never did a suspension job and my only references are diagrams. This is why I love the community, thanks for the advice, I'll do the vise grip from below.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2015, 11:13 PM   #6
Speed_Addict
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Crimson Red 335i Coupe

Quote:
Definitely this! But, lift the car first before you remove the wheel.... Sorry, just couldn't resist All joking aside - great advice from feuer
Appreciate 1
      06-28-2015, 09:50 AM   #7
chinko
First Lieutenant
Rep

It's raining for 4 days here, is it safe to drive it? I don't have access to have a garage.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 10:47 AM   #8
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed_Addict View Post
Definitely this! But, lift the car first before you remove the wheel.... Sorry, just couldn't resist All joking aside - great advice from feuer
Yes of course, but I was referring to lifting the whole rear end because if you lift only one side the sway bar will keep the shock up.
Quote:
It's raining for 4 days here, is it safe to drive it? I don't have access to have a garage.
Other than knocking sound nothing much could happen.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2015, 10:27 AM   #9
2010MSPORT335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: .

Garage List
This same thing happened to me. I took a vice grip to the strut piston and was able to get it off easily.

Need to reweld that tip on now.
      07-03-2015, 11:20 AM   #10
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by idk alex View Post
This same thing happened to me. I took a vice grip to the strut piston and was able to get it off easily.

Need to reweld that tip on now.
Leave it, don't weld as heat might destroy the valve on the other end on the shaft.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 04:02 PM   #11
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:

A tap and die set should clean up those threads. A set can be found at any parts retailer. It's a sharp/hardened metal that is specifically designed to reshape the threads straight.

I know vice grips are a common go to for issues like this but they should only be used in a worst case scenario and with the knowledge that they will likely ruin whatever they are on, especially with regards to using them on threads.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 04:36 PM   #12
glachhman2
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Impact with extensions and uv joint. Should come right out.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2015, 02:20 PM   #13
chinko
First Lieutenant
Rep

Forgot to update this thread, I used Feuer suggestion and pulled down the bump stop and used vice grip on the shaft there. Works perfectly and doesn't seem to damage anything other than light scratches on it.
Appreciate 1
      07-09-2015, 02:31 PM   #14
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
A tap and die set should clean up those threads. A set can be found at any parts retailer. It's a sharp/hardened metal that is specifically designed to reshape the threads straight.

I know vice grips are a common go to for issues like this but they should only be used in a worst case scenario and with the knowledge that they will likely ruin whatever they are on, especially with regards to using them on threads.
No necessarily true if used correctly. Little piece of rubber or a rag over the shaft it will protect it enough. Additionally, if used as advised the grip will be applied on a portion of the shaft that will always be covered with the bump stop and never enter the shock assembly. So even if it gets damaged it would not even matter.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2021, 12:41 PM   #15
Damian Velez
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

Quote:
i tried that but the vice grips just kept slipping, im thinking about taking a nut cutter to the top nut. do i need that mount if im installing aftermarket shocks?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2021, 07:26 PM   #16
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian Velez View Post
i tried that but the vice grips just kept slipping, im thinking about taking a nut cutter to the top nut. do i need that mount if im installing aftermarket shocks?
That means you don’t have the vice grip not tight enough. Need to be so tight that you won’t be able to open by hand. You can cut the hut. The washer you will needs. I think I have a good order used mount in case you end up needing one. Just pay shipping cost.
Appreciate 0