E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Wheel shake after m3 control arms

01-24-2022, 04:47 PM   #1
roblese90
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2010 bmw 328i  [0.00]
Wheel shake after m3 control arms

Just upgraded to the m3 control arm kit from fcpeuro. Went to get an alignment right after installing them. Now i feel the steering wheel shake at high speeds and the car wanders to the right. Don’t think it’s the wheels/tires being worn out as they are only a few months old. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 05:21 PM   #2
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by roblese90 View Post
Just upgraded to the m3 control arm kit from fcpeuro. Went to get an alignment right after installing them. Now i feel the steering wheel shake at high speeds and the car wanders to the right. Don’t think it’s the wheels/tires being worn out as they are only a few months old. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.
There's a few possibilities here.

1) Were they torqued at ride height? If not, twisted bushings can cause vibrations
2) Your old bushings, depending on how worn they were, could've been masking a vibration that's now evident since everything is tight
3) Are you running spacers? If so, that is your issue and it's been made more apparent because of the tighter bushings
Appreciate 1
BRG_N54295.00
      01-26-2022, 09:04 AM   #3
Jaronbwall
Driving cars and riding bikes really fast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

You may need to replace the tie rods. I've experienced the same thing and I replaced basically everything under the sun with upgraded parts. Even front wheel bearings. Usually only happens around 90+mph.
I'm ordering new tie rods and sway bar end links when I get my tax check. If that doesn't correct the issue it's probably a bad strut or something more expensive.

Last edited by Jaronbwall; 03-01-2022 at 10:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2022, 03:09 AM   #4
e90emsport
Registered
Rep
Drives: e90

Struts and mounts needs a refresh too. Had the same thing, until I put on coilovers and went away.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2024, 10:05 AM   #5
e90_enjoyer
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaronbwall View Post
You may need to replace the tie rods. I've experienced the same thing and I replaced basically everything under the sun with upgraded parts. Even front wheel bearings. Usually only happens around 90+mph.
I'm ordering new tie rods and sway bar end links when I get my tax check. If that doesn't correct the issue it's probably a bad strut or something more expensive.
Did you figure this out? My front struts seem to be new/replaced by PO at some point, but getting wheel vibration like an out of balance tire at anything above 80. Happened basically right after doing the M3 arms and getting alignment. Have had tires balanced like 3 or 4 times, wonder if I have a bent wheel.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2024, 10:14 AM   #6
Jaronbwall
Driving cars and riding bikes really fast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90_enjoyer View Post
Did you figure this out? My front struts seem to be new/replaced by PO at some point, but getting wheel vibration like an out of balance tire at anything above 80. Happened basically right after doing the M3 arms and getting alignment. Have had tires balanced like 3 or 4 times, wonder if I have a bent wheel.
Yes I fixed my issue. The big problem was bad tires! My front tires we're damaged from a potholes and slowly got worse over time (probably damaged belts). Also the rubber was probably dry out. They weren't bald but after buying new tires it was night and day better. I also replaced the tie-rods. The old ones were shot with some flex in the joints. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Jaronbwall; 02-06-2024 at 01:41 PM..
Appreciate 2