E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > M3 Control Arm Folks, Please Come in...

10-06-2011, 01:40 PM   #45
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tres View Post
i was thinking of getting the track bar but i heard it wouldnt work so i installed the mr adjustable arm. I figured if it fits on 1m maybe it might fit on the 335i
Yes the Megan Racing fits both
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 02:12 PM   #46
wilkoal
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbj View Post
Understeer has been reduced. Fact. It has been some time since I've done this mod so I could be wrong about the feel. Perhaps it is slightly heavier but as you said, that's not a negative.
Thanks for feedback!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 03:55 PM   #47
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
i was thinking of getting the track bar but i heard it wouldnt work so i installed the mr adjustable arm. I figured if it fits on 1m maybe it might fit on the 335i
The M and the non-M don't share the same rear toe links.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2011, 04:10 PM   #48
tres
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw 335is 6MT

thanks thats what i figured so went ahead and installed the mr adj toe arms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
The M and the non-M don't share the same rear toe links.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2011, 10:37 PM   #49
DaFish
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 435iX, FBO

Garage List
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=424830

Have a read on my thread.

The M3 arms are a must do - front for sure, rear if you are going to do rear work (IE: Sway)

The steering is a bit heavier, not bad at all.

The steering is way better, less tramlining... it is just all around better.

The Camber is a must too. Now, if you keep the RFTs, then not sure, if you switch to non-rfts, then you must put more camber on the car to offset the softer sidewalls or it will roll over on the front on hard cornering.

Previous: 2014 BMW F32 435iX - JB4, MHD Flash, BMS Meth Kit, ER Intercooler, intake, catless DPs, KW Streets, 437M Reps with 245/35 and 275/30 Michelin PSS 4S
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 10:23 AM   #50
sle39lvr
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 328i

So I ordered the arm set.

Does anyone has the link for a DIY on these?

So just put them on and get an alignment right after?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 08:55 PM   #51
rogerdiaz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

Any input on this MOD:

ZSP + M3 Front Control Arm/Tension Strut Retrofit Set (tischer) only.

Is it worth it? Handling improved or just placebo?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 08:01 AM   #52
DaFish
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdiaz View Post
Any input on this MOD:

You need to search and read. I have put in numerous threads on this.

Short answer yes - it is a no brainer.... but you need to search and read.

Previous: 2014 BMW F32 435iX - JB4, MHD Flash, BMS Meth Kit, ER Intercooler, intake, catless DPs, KW Streets, 437M Reps with 245/35 and 275/30 Michelin PSS 4S
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 10:40 PM   #53
Thumperx
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335I coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdiaz View Post
Any input on this MOD:

It's definitely NOT a placebo. Bottomline, it depends on what you are after in suspension set-up. If you're looking for a true GT ride and set-up; meaning, the suspension design is comfortable daily ride and then handles very good at the track. Applying the M3 front bits is a first positive step. Or are you looking for a track setup, then you have much more to go.

Changing the front to M3 bits (more negative camber and firmer bushings), you may find great turn in (greater amount of driver's feedback). But soon you may find unwanted recklessness at the rear due to the softer bushing links and sub-frame bushings.

This may be the reason why the current M3 is so great because it a well balance and provides a higher level feedback. Once you tamper with one area, you may find yourself spending a lot of time (at least for myself) sorting out the other area/s. Ex: do I need to install the sway bars?

Softer springs provide a comfortable daily ride. But not so good when driving at the track due when certain amount of inertia forces act on front and rear weight transfer. Firmer springs is then desired. Not so great on the street (coil over). I kept my sport springs and beefed up all the other areas. I'm extremely happy with the out come, and my wife is even happier.

There is far more info to do, like others have mentioned, continue searching.
Name: Blanca | 07 E92 | AW-Blk | ZSP | Alcon BBK | M3 Bits | VM RR Links | Koni | UUC Sways | V5 | Dinan CAI | ETS IC | Fge DV | ER CP | Cyba | Raden. Exh | Mod Step | Trunk Drawer | Perf LED Wheel | Illum Dr Sills | IS Shifter | Parrot | Philps D1S | 6000k fog | MTECH RR | CSL Trunk | Aero | Roof Spoiler | PSS on BBS RS-GT 19s
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 06:43 AM   #54
DaFish
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumperx View Post
It's definitely NOT a placebo. Bottomline, it depends on what you are after in suspension set-up. If you're looking for a true GT ride and set-up; meaning, the suspension design is comfortable daily ride and then handles very good at the track. Applying the M3 front bits is a first positive step. Or are you looking for a track setup, then you have much more to go.

Changing the front to M3 bits (more negative camber and firmer bushings), you may find great turn in (greater amount of driver's feedback). But soon you may find unwanted recklessness at the rear due to the softer bushing links and sub-frame bushings.

This may be the reason why the current M3 is so great because it a well balance and provides a higher level feedback. Once you tamper with one area, you may find yourself spending a lot of time (at least for myself) sorting out the other area/s. Ex: do I need to install the sway bars?

Softer springs provide a comfortable daily ride. But not so good when driving at the track due when certain amount of inertia forces act on front and rear weight transfer. Firmer springs is then desired. Not so great on the street (coil over). I kept my sport springs and beefed up all the other areas. I'm extremely happy with the out come, and my wife is even happier.

There is far more info to do, like others have mentioned, continue searching.
Well said Thumperx ! I decided on the Dinan springs and that really stiffened up the ride - so much so that my wife gets car sick now on trips lasting even just an hour. We can't take the car on trips now.

Decide what you want in the car - what your major percentage of driving is. If you want a race and track machine, you can build it - but it comes at a cost.

if you want much more performance and handling then do what Thumperx and others have done - but do the M3 arms (front/rear) and I would put in camber plates too for additional turn in and front end grip. If you are going with bigger rims/tires, REMOVE some or ALL of the stagger. This will give you an amazing handling machine, good ride (with non RFTs by the way).

THere is no substitute for reading, reading and reading on this forum. you have to do your homework.

Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 10:57 AM   #55
Thumperx
Major
United_States
Rep

Thanks DaFish, most of us who may have a significant other in their lives (most of the time) do not take account of the "wife factor".

If this is the case, then it's all about trade-off in suspension set-up design. I may not have excellent control over my transient transfer (stronger springs), but I've controlled it (a certain degree level) by having installed beefier sway bars and good gripping tires. Bonus, I don't hear my wife moan or bitch about the ride whenever we go somewhere -priceless! Learned my lesson back with my CRX days (hehehe)

It's constant balancing act.
Name: Blanca | 07 E92 | AW-Blk | ZSP | Alcon BBK | M3 Bits | VM RR Links | Koni | UUC Sways | V5 | Dinan CAI | ETS IC | Fge DV | ER CP | Cyba | Raden. Exh | Mod Step | Trunk Drawer | Perf LED Wheel | Illum Dr Sills | IS Shifter | Parrot | Philps D1S | 6000k fog | MTECH RR | CSL Trunk | Aero | Roof Spoiler | PSS on BBS RS-GT 19s

Last edited by Thumperx; 03-22-2012 at 11:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 12:01 PM   #56
mave198
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

The front from what I've read seems easy enough to understand in regards to upgrading, it's the rear that confuses many of us.

Tightening up the front does reveal the flaws of the rear, but many of us are not willing to go all the way with a lsd, bushings, rear arms etc etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 12:03 PM   #57
getBMWparts
Rep
Drives: BMW Parts

We have the M3 Front Control Arm/Tension Strut Retrofit kit on special for $515.00 here on this page of our site. Be sure to check out the other M3 suspension component kits that we have on special there as well!

Last edited by getBMWparts; 01-23-2013 at 11:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 07:13 PM   #58
Thumperx
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mave198 View Post
The front from what I've read seems easy enough to understand in regards to upgrading, it's the rear that confuses many of us..
Not too hard to understand. The M3 series rear bushings (in durometer and shore values), sway bars, and shocks are harder, thicker, and firmer than standard 3 series cars. This firmness or stiffness promotes more feedback and input into the chassis of the car. Now regular 3 series are technically luxury cars (firmness is not desirable for this niche of buyers). Where as the M3s are performance cars, and firmness is desirable for this niche of market). Not to mention, all the geometry changes among the two types of cars.

This difference or upgrade is what most of us seek out from the M3 performance components. If one pieces one system or part at a time, then issue this and issue that becomes revealed. Ask a few questions here on the forum, then we realize how upside down we (I) are (am). Install the correct parts, my God, worth ever friggin' penny (expensive hobby or lesson/s). By the time one realizes how much work or/and money has been spent, one could have bought a real M3 (hahaha). And that is the key, are you willing to step up to transform your regular 3 series car? It's pleasurable experience.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 06:31 AM   #59
acj75
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@Tischer View Post
We have the M3 Front Control Arm/Tension Strut Retrofit kit on special for $515.00 here on this page of our site. Be sure to check out the other M3 suspension component kits that we have on special as well!

I just received my kit from you guys yesterday and the parts are going in tomorrow. I'm heading to the track on Saturday, so I'll be able to give some feedback.

It seems from what I've read that most people just align the car to 335i specs. Is this accurate? My E92 has the sports package with no other suspension mods.
      05-14-2012, 12:43 AM   #60
TigOn.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 e92 M3 CZP,07 e90 335 FBO

Quote:
Originally Posted by acj75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@Tischer View Post
We have the M3 Front Control Arm/Tension Strut Retrofit kit on special for $515.00 here on this page of our site. Be sure to check out the other M3 suspension component kits that we have on special as well!

I just received my kit from you guys yesterday and the parts are going in tomorrow. I'm heading to the track on Saturday, so I'll be able to give some feedback.

It seems from what I've read that most people just align the car to 335i specs. Is this accurate? My E92 has the sports package with no other suspension mods.
I need to know the aligment spects as well... 335 or M3 ones?

Garage///2013 e92 M3 ZCP ///2007 e90 335 FBO///
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 07:26 AM   #61
sle39lvr
Captain
Rep

So Let's say I have stock suspension, after getting these, my front camber will be out of spec?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 09:14 AM   #62
tres
Major
United_States
Rep

Yes and your front toe will be off

Quote:
Originally Posted by sle39lvr View Post
So Let's say I have stock suspension, after getting these, my front camber will be out of spec?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 10:20 AM   #63
TurboBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Yes, in a negative, but positive way
Performance Seats, Exhaust, Splitters, Pedals, Steering Wheel / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / Forge FMIC / Quaife LSD / Öhlins Road & Track / M3 Suspension Parts / Solid Subframe Bushings / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Racing Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR DPs / Alpina TCU / COBB Pro-Tune
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 11:22 AM   #64
sle39lvr
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yes and your front toe will be off
Toe-IN? (AKA Positive TOE?)
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 11:58 AM   #65
mid-corner fun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, '22 X3MC

Max neg camber, toe as close to 0 as possible. And schedule the alignment ASAP after the installation, your alignment will be way off.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 12:53 PM   #66
tres
Major
United_States
Rep

You will have more toe out due to the tension struts

Quote:
Toe-IN? (AKA Positive TOE?)
Appreciate 0