E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Bilstein ride controls are available!!!

08-24-2007, 02:54 PM   #23
RED FURY
Fast Red Cars and Blonde Women are my Passions !!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: CR 335i Sport and Mod MINI S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
Mea culpa, I should have been more specific than "specials for the E9x". The $1995 LSD is not for the 335, as red fury noted above. But those with 330s, 328, 325s are still on E90Post last time I checked.

Not sure how this qualifies as "MISINFORMATION" though...
Well, when one sees a LOW price like that ...And then prepares to Take wallet out to buy .... .... only to learn it was for the wrong model

No harm done, just wanted to make sure noone else thought it was for the 335
      08-25-2007, 12:34 PM   #24
sg335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
From the TMS website:
E90 / E91 / E92 Bilstein B16 Electronic Ride Control Adjustable Coil-Over Suspension Kit. It's Here! Turner motorsport is the first to offer the long awaited Bilstein B16 kit, featuring a cockpit mounted control. Keep it in "normal" mode for everyday driving and commuting. Switch to "Sport" mode and firm the suspension up and push the car to the limits. This is the perfect suspension for a dual purpose car that is used for both everyday driving and agressive street or track use!

The kit features an electronic control unit that senses road characteristics and G-loads and makes shock valving changes in a millisecond!
I stand by my original statement. This kit is the same as the PSS9 except it provides Bilstein's "Ride Control" module, which replaces manual control of the damping settings with electronic cockpit control via wires that are run to the control unit.

Turner's statement that the unit senses road characteristics and G loads is not true. This statement was written by Turner, Not Krupp Bilstein. If you look at all the other published literature in the USA, Germany, and England, you will find that there is no difference in the way the struts/shocks behave. You are only providing an electronic control of the adjustment knob. In some markets the PSS9 system is called the B16 PSS9, and these are the same non electronic adjustable systems that many of you have on your car. The addition of the electronic control unit add the words Ride Control to the B16 PSS9 designation.

Another important fact. This B16 PSS9 Ride Control coil over system DOES NOT use 60mm springs in the front. They are the standard pigtailed springs that come with the non Ride Control system coilover kit.

What is not discussed is whether or not you can retain the nine available rebound/compression settings of the regular kit. The literature only talks about adjusting on the fly between Normal and Sport and back again. And some literature speaks of a "push button" activation, not a rotary dial. If there are only two settings, that would be unfortunate. I hope you can rotate the dial in a circular motion to dial in all nine settings and everything in between.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2007, 07:55 PM   #25
Vegas_Sirk
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 JKU Wrangler

Garage List
To me the Teins with Pillow Ball Mounts & EDFC still seem to be a better set up for less $$$$. Im just annoyed I havnt seen and Coilovers that allow height adjustment on the shock body (not preload ... aka moving the spring up and down).
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2007, 04:45 AM   #26
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

How do you install it, sounds like a big job?

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2007, 12:53 PM   #27
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg335 View Post
I stand by my original statement. This kit is the same as the PSS9 except it provides Bilstein's "Ride Control" module, which replaces manual control of the damping settings with electronic cockpit control via wires that are run to the control unit.

Turner's statement that the unit senses road characteristics and G loads is not true. This statement was written by Turner, Not Krupp Bilstein. If you look at all the other published literature in the USA, Germany, and England, you will find that there is no difference in the way the struts/shocks behave. You are only providing an electronic control of the adjustment knob. In some markets the PSS9 system is called the B16 PSS9, and these are the same non electronic adjustable systems that many of you have on your car. The addition of the electronic control unit add the words Ride Control to the B16 PSS9 designation.

Another important fact. This B16 PSS9 Ride Control coil over system DOES NOT use 60mm springs in the front. They are the standard pigtailed springs that come with the non Ride Control system coilover kit.

What is not discussed is whether or not you can retain the nine available rebound/compression settings of the regular kit. The literature only talks about adjusting on the fly between Normal and Sport and back again. And some literature speaks of a "push button" activation, not a rotary dial. If there are only two settings, that would be unfortunate. I hope you can rotate the dial in a circular motion to dial in all nine settings and everything in between.
If they do not have EDC that would be a shame. The description on the Bilstein site makes it seem like it is similar to the PSAM set up. If $700 (over the price of the regular PSS9s) is just for a pushbutton adjustment for two settings (sport and normal), then it's not worth it for me. I think that the regular 9 settings are retained, not sure how they are integrated with the remote button (it is not a dial, just a two setting button).
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2007, 01:36 PM   #28
Ray
Rep
Drives: three series

Quote:
If they do not have EDC that would be a shame. The description on the Bilstein site makes it seem like it is similar to the PSAM set up. If $700 (over the price of the regular PSS9s) is just for a pushbutton adjustment for two settings (sport and normal), then it's not worth it for me. I think that the regular 9 settings are retained, not sure how they are integrated with the remote button (it is not a dial, just a two setting button).
I agree. The exclusion of the EDC would be a shame and the fancy button alone is not worth the premium.

I really wonder if the ability to adjust the settings manually will be compromised. This may depend on whether the settings of the "sport" mode is predetermined or can be customized.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2007, 03:05 PM   #29
Ferg
Master of my own domain!!
Rep
Drives: F82 M4/F15 X5

Bav Auto has them as well, around the same price.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2007, 08:28 AM   #30
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i

anybody reviewed these, yet?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2007, 09:25 AM   #31
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi A4 / 91 Track Miata

Garage List
Not sure if anyone got them yet.

Car is now gone .... :-(
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2007, 09:30 AM   #32
Josh49
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 325xi

Hey, if people want to sponsor me and buy these for me, I'll write a very indepth review..

Just throwing the suggestion out there..

E90 325XI, MYSTIC BLUE ON BLACK/ALUM, STEP, NAV, PDC, CWP, XENON, SIRIUS, ALARM, MUD GUARDS, CLEARBRA, CHROME GRILLS AND TIPS, VALENTINE 1 (HARDWIRED), HO CERAMIC 40%, 161'S, REAR FOG MOD, LUX 4.0, BLACKLINES, OEM PEDALS, MTEC FOGS, GRUPPE-M REP INTAKE. 156'S AND RUBBER MATS FOR THE WINTER.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2007, 12:13 PM   #33
flukey
Go big or go home!
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi

"This kit is designed for all non-M and non-xi E90 BMW sedans & E91 BMW wagons (2006 on), as well as all E92 BMW coupes (2007 on), including the following models: 325i, 328i, 330i, and 335i. This kit does NOT fit all wheel drive models."

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...&subcat_id=125

not available for AWD models... again tuners leave out the XI folks...

this really makes me want to start a tuning company exclusively for the XI...
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2007, 12:53 PM   #34
Josh49
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by flukey View Post
"This kit is designed for all non-M and non-xi E90 BMW sedans & E91 BMW wagons (2006 on), as well as all E92 BMW coupes (2007 on), including the following models: 325i, 328i, 330i, and 335i. This kit does NOT fit all wheel drive models."

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...&subcat_id=125

not available for AWD models... again tuners leave out the XI folks...

this really makes me want to start a tuning company exclusively for the XI...
B!tches..

I'll work with you at your company if you want though..

E90 325XI, MYSTIC BLUE ON BLACK/ALUM, STEP, NAV, PDC, CWP, XENON, SIRIUS, ALARM, MUD GUARDS, CLEARBRA, CHROME GRILLS AND TIPS, VALENTINE 1 (HARDWIRED), HO CERAMIC 40%, 161'S, REAR FOG MOD, LUX 4.0, BLACKLINES, OEM PEDALS, MTEC FOGS, GRUPPE-M REP INTAKE. 156'S AND RUBBER MATS FOR THE WINTER.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2007, 01:26 PM   #35
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep

Here is Bav Auto's description:
GA5 D154
Bilstein B16 Ridecontrol® Electronically Adjustable Coil-Over Kit $2,199.95

Bilstein's Ridecontrol system is a fully height-adjustable coil-over kit with electronically adjustable shocks that can go from "normal" to "sport" mode instantly with the push of a button. A small computer changes the dampening characteristics of each shock on the fly. If you're driving down the road in normal mode, the ride comfort will be very close to the stock set-up, but the car will feel much tighter and handle the corners far better than with the stock suspension. If you come upon a series of twists and turns that get your heart racing, just push the aluminum button and in milliseconds you are in sport mode. Your Bimmer will feel as if it is riding on rails! And it won't pitch forward or back under acceleration or hard braking. Push the button again and, just as quickly, you are back in normal mode so you can cruise over bumps and potholes without jarring your fillings loose. The ridecontrol suspension system will give your BMW a lower, more aggressive stance, eliminating those annoying gaps between the tires and the fenders. And since it is height-adjustable front and rear, you can dial in how much lower you want your BMW to sit. As for installation, it is basically the same as other height-adjustable coil-over kits, plus some wiring: You have to run a cable from each shock to the ridecontrol ECU inside the cockpit, connect the ECU to power/ground/switched power, and find a place to mount the aluminum on/off button.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2007, 07:34 PM   #36
doba_s
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 l Cayenne l 997.2RS

I wish somebody can offer it at lower price ... what is the lowest price for PSS9 ?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2007, 09:17 PM   #37
sg335
Captain
Rep

I wonder how much labor it is to install? Someone should buy these just to have the new kid on the block. Hey, I am willing to buy them if someone wants to buy my TCK's. I am always looking at "testing" the newest lastes and greatest. It's the only reason I bought an iphone.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2007, 10:50 AM   #38
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep

If the ECU really does adjust dampening on the fly, as per the PSAM or EDFC systems, then this is the set up that I want. Anyone find out the details of this yet? Might have to wait for one of the discount vendors to start offering them though.

I really like the idea of the adjustable system being analogous to the M3 -- this should help resale, especially if you could get a M3 center console piece with the EDC button control instead of using the supplied button in the kit. That would be an awesome DIY!

Last edited by stressdoc; 10-19-2007 at 01:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2007, 01:21 PM   #39
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335D E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Interesting.

Someone sponsor me!

Current: 2010 Alpine White 335D LCI l 19" BBS LMs l KW V2 Coilovers l BMW Performance Grilles l MSport Front/Rear l Karbonwerke Trunk l F1 Pinnacle Tint 35% Former: E92 Space Grey 335i Latest pics
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2007, 01:34 PM   #40
doba_s
Major General
United_States
Rep

If i'll find good BMW shop in my area i'll get them ... i had PSS9 on my zhp and I loved it ... so i assume this kit should be better
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2007, 01:34 PM   #41
doba_s
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC 335i View Post
Interesting.

Someone sponsor me!
or me ...
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2007, 01:39 PM   #42
doba_s
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg335 View Post
I wonder how much labor it is to install? Someone should buy these just to have the new kid on the block. Hey, I am willing to buy them if someone wants to buy my TCK's. I am always looking at "testing" the newest lastes and greatest. It's the only reason I bought an iphone.
how much do you want for your tc klines ?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2007, 06:12 PM   #43
sg335
Captain
Rep

$1,500.00
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2007, 01:47 PM   #44
Ray
Rep
Drives: three series

Quote:
If the ECU really does adjust dampening on the fly, as per the PSAM or EDFC systems, then this is the set up that I want. Anyone find out the details of this yet? Might have to wait for one of the discount vendors to start offering them though.

I really like the idea of the adjustable system being analogous to the M3 -- this should help resale, especially if you could get a M3 center console piece with the EDC button control instead of using the supplied button in the kit. That would be an awesome DIY!
According to Bilstein, this unit will have two specific presets out of the box: Standard and Sport. No adjustments are available aside from the touch of that button (no personalization/fine tuning available).

Although the differences between the two modes are claimed to be significant, this unit will not adjust according to any variable, such as road feel or speed. Standard mode is reserved for street use while Sport mode caters to spirited driving.
Appreciate 0