E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Lci Headlight Eyelids

08-10-2018, 10:54 AM   #1
Xfloridiankicks
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 Bmw 335i

Lci Headlight Eyelids

Any eyelids for LCI headlights?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 01:26 PM   #2
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Tons, check eBay. I have a set on the way for the exact same reason. There is a seller that will have them painted to color (though with black, you really won't have an issue finding that or carbon fiber if it suits your fancy). IF you do want a guaranteed trim color look for this eBay seller (oem.thing)

But FYI (if it matters) the LEDs on top will not have a hole to peak out of (unless you're going to take a crack).

I've seen the nonsense work on how to crack these open (install some upgraded angel/corona eyes) but nobody ever shows if you can take off that eyelid piece to sand down. I've seen replacement plastic fronts, but there are no breakdowns that show where that piece ends up when the front plastic is removed. I heard it might be attached to the clear plastic shield -- but is it removable?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 02:13 PM   #3
Xfloridiankicks
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewater328 View Post
Tons, check eBay. I have a set on the way for the exact same reason. There is a seller that will have them painted to color (though with black, you really won't have an issue finding that or carbon fiber if it suits your fancy). IF you do want a guaranteed trim color look for this eBay seller (oem.thing)

But FYI (if it matters) the LEDs on top will not have a hole to peak out of (unless you're going to take a crack).

I've seen the nonsense work on how to crack these open (install some upgraded angel/corona eyes) but nobody ever shows if you can take off that eyelid piece to sand down. I've seen replacement plastic fronts, but there are no breakdowns that show where that piece ends up when the front plastic is removed. I heard it might be attached to the clear plastic shield -- but is it removable?
Quote:

You have a link to the same ones you bought?? And I believe they are I'm going to my car right now I'll take a picture of a screw that looks like it's holding it in place, I had owned a Audi A4 s-line prior to me buying my 335i and I could take the lens apart and remove this plastic strip and paint it black and it was held in by some small screws, but hey Audi isn't bmw! So I guess we'll just have to do some trial & error
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 02:19 PM   #4
Xfloridiankicks
Private First Class
Rep

It's funny how I took a little bit more time to look and it looks like it's connected via clips!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 02:22 PM   #5
Xfloridiankicks
Private First Class
Rep

Pics
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 03:52 PM   #6
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep

If you find a good way to open it, please let me know. I haven't seen one person open these up without a hot knife or dremel. These can't be baked like usual.

The link was for the cover, but I haven't ordered that yet as I didn't know if the eyebrow piece was part of it or not (if it is, then that linked item won't work). That vendor I mentioned about the painted eyelids IS the one I ordered from -- have the paint code handy when you order.

I hope you're right about the eyelid part being clipped on. Would definitely make it worth it to try to crack these open.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 01:47 PM   #7
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Pics of the eyelids in place. There is a spot of the oem eyelid that peaks through that is noticeable just above the xenon if you are really looking. Otherwise good.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 01:49 PM   #8
Xfloridiankicks
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Pics of the eyelids in place. There is a spot of the oem eyelid that peaks through that is noticeable just above the xenon if you are really looking. Otherwise good.
You got a link for these?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 01:52 PM   #9
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xfloridiankicks View Post
Quote:
You got a link for these?
I don't want to direct link, but I listed the seller's name above "oem.thing" on ebay. Takes a few weeks as it's painted to factory color (have the paint code ready). I think it was about $25 + s/h

I think my search terms were "painted bmw e90 eyelids"
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 09:08 AM   #10
addict
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 e90 335i

I looked for eyebrow options as well but just opted for replacing the lenses and painting the oem yellowed out brows silver. Keeps them looking OEMish.

INSTAGRAM:@add1ct
2010 E90 335I : FBO | M Sport Conversion | FK Streetline | 19" Apex Arc-8
(SOLD)2013 335i M Sport : FBO/Meth | BC Racing coilovers | 20" BBS RSII
(SOLD) 2011 135i : FBO | Airlift suspension | CCW LM5
Appreciate 4
      08-21-2018, 09:09 AM   #11
Xfloridiankicks
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by addict View Post
I looked for eyebrow options as well but just opted for replacing the lenses and painting the oem yellowed out brows silver. Keeps them looking OEMish.

How much of a pain in the ass was it to take the lens apart? Any tips? I really wanna keep it OEM
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 11:05 AM   #12
addict
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xfloridiankicks View Post
How much of a pain in the ass was it to take the lens apart? Any tips? I really wanna keep it OEM
IM assuming its not very easy. A friend of mine that does Xenon retrofits on VW's did them for me he has done a few sets for a few of my buddies and myself and he did say he HATES working on bmw headlights.

INSTAGRAM:@add1ct
2010 E90 335I : FBO | M Sport Conversion | FK Streetline | 19" Apex Arc-8
(SOLD)2013 335i M Sport : FBO/Meth | BC Racing coilovers | 20" BBS RSII
(SOLD) 2011 135i : FBO | Airlift suspension | CCW LM5
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 11:19 AM   #13
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Great job there!

I would just hate to crack them open unless I'm moving forward with an angel eye (Bavgrouppe) retrofit as well. So tempting...
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 02:17 PM   #14
n50four
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '07 335i Sport; '01 330i Sport

Here's my Pre_LCI with a tack-on brow, no "cut-out" for the main beam. IMHO, keeps the cleaner BMW aggressive look.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 02:58 AM   #15
wolfboyG
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

Quote:

hey what silver did your buddy use? I like this better than blacked out look .
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 09:15 AM   #16
Notifyz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW S3E90

You may find plenty of them on online stores such as e-Bay, Amazon etc..
Although you need to be careful, usually they come unpainted.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 09:45 PM   #17
Liam1106
Private
Rep
Drives: Totaled

While my 335’s eyelids aren’t as bad as yours I’m thinking about ripping open my LCI headlights. I’m curious if it’s its possible to just delete the eyelid, and what that would look like?

Eventually my goal is to install some LED rings, possibly Bavgruppe, while I’m in there, and also black out the housing and some components. I also have some dust inside to take care of. I do have to say though, that silver painted eyelid looks pretty damn good. I might go for a silver/black combo with all the components

Here’s a pic of my headlights, and some ideas I’ve seen from some forum members

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 09:00 AM   #18
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:

Yeah same here I'm trying to find info on if they are sandable like the clear lens or they are different material and if detachable to. Plus what product to use to seal the eyebrow from yellowing as headlight restoration kit comes with protectant that only lasts a year at most. I assume 2k clear coat would do the work but not 100% sure. Or I think a dedicated headlight clearcoat, Sp*****x sells some.

Opening them is straight forward, just heat up and cut through the seal. Just takes time and patience.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 05:31 AM   #19
ibutd01
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw e90 lci

Quote:

Just to ask mate didyou paint anything else apart from the eyelids in silver inaide the headlight? Did you leave the housing in OEM colour?
Thanks
Appreciate 0