E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > BMW 335d Fuel Injector Problems

01-23-2014, 02:40 PM   #155
swimmbackwards
Rep
Drives: 335d

I'm told the intake is on the way and should arrive at the dealer Friday!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 11:20 PM   #156
cwbiii
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

Garage List
2009 335d  [0.00]
2001 330i Convertible  [0.00]
My d is in for similar treatment... exactly where in the process yet I do no know exactly. They replaced 5 injectors about 2 weeks ago and I took it in with a ses mid week. My service manager gave me a heads up after the injector replacement on what to expect going forward. He told me the wait for a new head and manifold (new improved design!!!) is quite long with cars presently waiting for a number of weeks for them. I'm just wondering how well the new design is going to perform long term. I bought a diesel for the fuel economy and the longevity of the motor... I expect to get 200k plus out of this car with a "normal" repair schedule. My vehicle currently has 80K on it... CPO warranty has been a life saver. I commute 32 miles each way daily... mostly highway. 3 yrs of commuting relatively trouble free up until recently. Trying to decide what to do if they tell me I need the new heads to solve my problems... should I consider a large trade in on another diesel and then they can send it off to auction without fixing it? ... X5D next time. New vs CPO... Hmmm... depends upon what kind of a deal they can give me... this is my 3rd bmw in the past 11 years.(740/750/335d) Love the brand, and at least they seem to stand behind their vehicle... though they don't offer up unless you know how to ask. Being a repeat customer helps.
I've had much worse with other brands, some I will never own again.
This kind of reminds me of the nicasil block fiasco which cost BMW a pretty penny before it had run its course.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 11:26 PM   #157
cwbiii
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 335d  [0.00]
My d is in for similar treatment... exactly where in the process yet I do no know exactly. They replaced 5 injectors about 2 weeks ago and I took it in with a ses mid week. My service manager gave me a heads up after the injector replacement on what to expect going forward. He told me the wait for a new head and manifold (new improved design!!!) is quite long with cars presently waiting for a number of weeks for them. I'm just wondering how well the new design is going to perform long term. I bought a diesel for the fuel economy and the longevity of the motor... I expect to get 200k plus out of this car with a "normal" repair schedule. My vehicle currently has 80K on it... CPO warranty has been a life saver. I commute 32 miles each way daily... mostly highway. 3 yrs of commuting relatively trouble free up until recently. Trying to decide what to do if they tell me I need the new heads to solve my problems... should I consider a large trade in on another diesel and then they can send it off to auction without fixing it? ... X5D next time. New vs CPO... Hmmm... depends upon what kind of a deal they can give me... this is my 3rd bmw in the past 11 years.(740/750/335d) Love the brand, and at least they seem to stand behind their vehicle... though they don't offer up unless you know how to ask. Being a repeat customer helps.
I've had much worse with other brands, some I will never own again.
This kind of reminds me of the nicasil block fiasco which cost BMW a pretty penny before it had run its course.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 08:12 AM   #158
swimmbackwards
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmbackwards View Post
I'm told the intake is on the way and should arrive at the dealer Friday!
And...it's not in.

I think my SA was misinformed and the part is still on back order from Germany.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 08:28 AM   #159
Roman-dude
Private
Rep

I was told the car was likely going to be ready last Tue. I am yet to get thru to the SA. Obviously no car yet.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 07:26 PM   #160
cwbiii
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 335d  [0.00]
out for cleaning

They pulled my head off and sent it out for cleaning today... probably blast it with powdered walnut shells or baking soda to clean the carbon off of it.
Wondering if that is a long term solution or one that takes it past the next 20k of my warranty... although service has a warranty of its own of 2 years which should equate to 45k at the rate I drive. Time will tell. I was considering a trade in but timing is not quite right... better to wait until I've used up all of the warranty and grace period before looking for a replacement. I like the new 4cyl diesel... maybe by then there will be some CPO's available.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 09:12 PM   #161
Roman-dude
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwbiii View Post
although service has a warranty of its own of 2 years
that was my question too. from what the SA adviser said, the 2 yr warranty is if they fixed it wrong, and she wasn't sure if that was for if the same issue reoccurred for other reasons. so i asked for a svc manager to call me back to know for sure (and have it in writing).

on a sep note, the intake expected production date is 2/8 - they never had it.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 09:47 PM   #162
cwbiii
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 335d  [0.00]
intake

I know that at least 1 new manifold/head has been through my dealership.
My service manager gave me a heads upon what to expect when my car went into limp mode and they changed out 5 injectors. So far he has been pretty accurate. I see the current situation as one to try to keep as many of us on the road and off the dealerships lots while they ramp up production of this fix... or else it is another shot in the dark that they are tying on a limited basis to get a better handle on the problem.
Whatever it is they are not sharing where they are with their customers... always a bone-headed move.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 10:53 AM   #163
swimmbackwards
Rep

This is slightly off topic, but I'd want to throw this question out there.

Should I have any concerns that my car has been sitting for over five weeks (and who knows how much longer)?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 11:26 AM   #164
135i_vs_
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5, 135i, 335d, F10 550xi

Quote:
This is slightly off topic, but I'd want to throw this question out there.

Should I have any concerns that my car has been sitting for over five weeks (and who knows how much longer)?
Just follow up with them on a weekly basis. Keep BMW NA involved, telling them it is been THIS LONG, etc.

The car should be in "good hands".
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 11:49 AM   #165
swimmbackwards
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135i_vs_ View Post
Just follow up with them on a weekly basis. Keep BMW NA involved, telling them it is been THIS LONG, etc.

The car should be in "good hands".
Not sure if my question was worded properly. What I mean in terms of other systems/components of the car. It has not been driven, moved or otherwise used during this time.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 01:16 PM   #166
135i_vs_
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5, 135i, 335d, F10 550xi

Quote:
Not sure if my question was worded properly. What I mean in terms of other systems/components of the car. It has not been driven, moved or otherwise used during this time.
Hopefully the car is indoors, disassembled. However, usually they like to get cars in and out.

Letting the car sit outside for 5 weeks without starting will be a problem, but it will be their problem (would need a new battery). Who cares about the engine, as they will be disassembling it and putting in new parts to address the carbon build up. The engine block is fine. Maybe the urea injection system might also be a problem, as the urea is not being injected.

I had my car sit 5 weeks+ at the dealer, lol. All was fine after the car was properly fixed and returned to me. 10k miles, no issues returned, except the SCR metering module valve that started to give issues. This was replaced for free under emissions warranty.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 01:27 PM   #167
swimmbackwards
Rep

Quote:
Hopefully the car is indoors, disassembled. However, usually they like to get cars in and out.
Thankfully, the car is inside.

Quote:
I had my car sit 5 weeks+ at the dealer, lol. All was fine after the car was properly fixed and returned to me. 10k miles, no issues returned, except the SCR metering module valve that started to give issues. This was replaced for free under emissions warranty.
Yep, my concern are things going wrong in those complex [emissions] systems. And maybe flat spots on the tires - not sure if that's still a concern with tires these days.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 02:49 PM   #168
Tldave
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

2010 335d started about 7k ago.

I have been going through this god awful problem with my d... They replaced 3 injectors the first time around. 5k later they replaced all 6! All six glow plugs, mass air intake thingy, and a bunch of other crap only to have it go into LIMP mode again today... God know what's next. I feel like a Class Action Lawsuit may be in order!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 07:19 PM   #169
swimmbackwards
Rep

Week # __ ahh heck I've lost track at this point. My SA doesn't even bother to give me an update at this point as there is no news on what's going on.

Anyone know why they can't put on the old intake while we're waiting for the new one?

And why is it taking so long for this part to be produced? This is crazy that a plastic part this day and age is taking so long to manufacture.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 07:45 PM   #170
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335D

Quote:
Week # __ ahh heck I've lost track at this point. My SA doesn't even bother to give me an update at this point as there is no news on what's going on.

Anyone know why they can't put on the old intake while we're waiting for the new one?

And why is it taking so long for this part to be produced? This is crazy that a plastic part this day and age is taking so long to manufacture.
The old one probably looks like this...or worse

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 01:17 PM   #171
grzes
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 335d LCI

seams like many common problems on the 335d vehicle. At least you gusy enjoyed your cars before they ended up at the dealership for weeks awaiting the parts. I bought my 335d and drove it for 3 hours all together. Next morning dealer came to pickup my car (Dec. 24) and since then it is at the dealer awaiting parts/fixing. And yes, carbon build up is the issue after they tried some other things (not sure yet what they have tried as I have not seen the invoice or any paper work. Thx for the warranty tho as I have the filling the fix would cost me an arm and both legs .
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 08:27 AM   #172
Roman-dude
Private
Rep

for those waiting for a new intake, i've been told the production date in Germany is now 2/28...
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 12:33 PM   #173
ssbourbon1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d, sapphire black

I've been waiting on the intake since the start of the year. I know others have been waiting for quite a bit longer. My SA told me today that his digging around with the service manger did not reveal a production date but did indicate that they have been trying to modify the intake to help prevent the issue. I wonder if anyone can find info if that is the fact or not? Anyway, I am going to enjoy the little X3 they gave me as a loaner, especially with all of the snow we have been getting
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 10:01 PM   #174
konvict
Enlisted Member
Rep

im wondering if i need this new intake... my dealer told me its my EGR valve ive only had one injector replaced before and manifold carbon cleaning. i cleaned the EGR and throttle body but it drives the same. the pic above- where is that on the car? i wanna open it up and see if mine looks like that
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 11:54 PM   #175
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep

That picture is the intake manifold on the head side.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 12:26 AM   #176
konvict
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
That picture is the intake manifold on the head side.
ah ok. i think i should maybe take off the intake manifold and inspect it. there was oil in the charge pipe and i think that means may be issue with swirl flaps.

Last edited by konvict; 02-13-2014 at 12:32 AM..
Appreciate 0