E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Need some Law Advice: Parking Ticket

09-21-2012, 11:53 AM   #1
Joe-
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i

Need some Law Advice: Parking Ticket

So I received a parking ticket. Here is the story I live on a dead end street, no curbs are outside my house nor the house across the way. Half the street is on my private party and half is public property, I park half on private and half on public. No Signs state you cannot park there.

In order to get into my street you need to pull up a hill (With double yellow lines) then come around a corner (with double yellow lines) after the corner, the double yellow lines end. Designation of side no long exist after the double yellow line.

Because I am lazy sometimes when pulling into the spot instead of turning the car around to face the outlet, I just pull right into the space facing toward the dead end (opposite the outlet).

Well, this morning I come out to a ticket on my car for $30.00 for parking the wrong way / wheels curb.

I've decided to fight the ticket for what it's worth. Am in right stating that Designation of side no longer exist due to the double line ending prior to my parking zone with no curb or sign indicating side-age.

Any tips to get off this ticket? I took pictures and went down to the clerks office to apply for court date. They didn't accept the pictures and told me to bring the picture with me to court.

Worst part about it is I think is one of the neighbors that gave me a ticket, about 3 cops live on this street.

Last edited by Joe-; 09-21-2012 at 11:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 12:04 PM   #2
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

I dunno my dad parked illegally in Boston and it was a big fine. He had my little bro' write a letter and oddly, it was dismissed with an explanation. The City said they would forgive it this time, but not next. He was happy. I think the key is in his letter he admitted guilt, but politely asked that the fine be waived.

Have to admit I was surprised he got out of it.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 12:05 PM   #3
peeej
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former E92 owner

ask your neighbor?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 12:07 PM   #4
phillip@bmpdesign
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

While I am not a lawyer, or have more than average dealings with the judicial system, I understand a little of how the court works.

More or less, they really don't care, whatever reasons you have, whatever exceptions you have, whatever pictures you have, they don't care. They will see it as the officer that they entrust with the power to issue these citations felt like you deserved the citation and that is enough for them. You could have justified, empirical evidence proving your innocence without a shadow of a doubt, but unless it also proves that whoever wrote the citation could not possibly be at fault, they are not going to care. Even if it does prove that that person is incompetent, they are not going to care because they are one of thousands in their judicial machine and its not worth the time or effort to check it out. You are 1 of thousands of tickets issued that week.

I'm not sure how much your time is worth, and I believe that everyone should do what they believe is right and fight for that as long as they want, but I would just pay the ticket, let them win, and move on with your life. It sucks, and its not fair, but once again...they really don't care. Also, the court doesn't work for free, if you want to continue the legal process, expect a bill.
Like us on facebook!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 12:11 PM   #5
2ndname
Autobot
Rep
Drives: E90 325i Auto~NO~Go

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [10.00]
It's a hit and a miss. You can fight it but is it really worth your time? Really depends on how much your time is worth.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 12:23 PM   #6
Joe-
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillip@bmpdesign View Post
While I am not a lawyer, or have more than average dealings with the judicial system, I understand a little of how the court works.

More or less, they really don't care, whatever reasons you have, whatever exceptions you have, whatever pictures you have, they don't care. They will see it as the officer that they entrust with the power to issue these citations felt like you deserved the citation and that is enough for them. You could have justified, empirical evidence proving your innocence without a shadow of a doubt, but unless it also proves that whoever wrote the citation could not possibly be at fault, they are not going to care. Even if it does prove that that person is incompetent, they are not going to care because they are one of thousands in their judicial machine and its not worth the time or effort to check it out. You are 1 of thousands of tickets issued that week.

I'm not sure how much your time is worth, and I believe that everyone should do what they believe is right and fight for that as long as they want, but I would just pay the ticket, let them win, and move on with your life. It sucks, and its not fair, but once again...they really don't care. Also, the court doesn't work for free, if you want to continue the legal process, expect a bill.

The court time is after 5pm, I am out of work by then so really it's not using my time at all other than more time to eat dinner I just want justification as to why I cannot park that way. No sign, or legal pavement markings indicate I can't. Again no designation of sides, the ticket was given at 1am in the morning on dead end street...
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 12:29 PM   #7
Tsaoster
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i xDrive

I have a feeling one of your neighbours probably called them thus you got a ticket.

If i was were you, id just pay it cause 30 dollars is not much but i get where you are coming from because it is unfair

but everything in life is almost unfair haha
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 12:30 PM   #8
Joe-
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwinturbo View Post
ask your neighbor?
I don't want to stir up trouble in the neighborhood, after all it is where I live, and I could see them taking offense to me asking.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 12:33 PM   #9
Joe-
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsaoster View Post
I have a feeling one of your neighbours probably called them thus you got a ticket.

If i was were you, id just pay it cause 30 dollars is not much but i get where you are coming from because it is unfair

but everything in life is almost unfair haha
I totally agree that 30.00 is not much but it's not the point. I just can't see giving satisfaction by just paying it, especially when the court time is at 5pm makes the deal even sweeter that I don't even have to take time from work and make arrangements.

That and I've been parking this way for over 2 years
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 12:41 PM   #10
Rustler
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 335i Space Grey

My 2 cents: I would go to the statute/regulation (try google scholar). I'm sure there is some reg out there that says exactly what the law on this subject is in CT. If you are only obligated to park in the direction of traffic when there is a double yellow, you should document that your car was not parked at a double yellow (pictures and an affidavit from you) and contest it. Outside of a factual dispute as to whether you were at a double yellow or not, I would think this would be clear cut.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 01:15 PM   #11
Joe-
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustler View Post
My 2 cents: I would go to the statute/regulation (try google scholar). I'm sure there is some reg out there that says exactly what the law on this subject is in CT. If you are only obligated to park in the direction of traffic when there is a double yellow, you should document that your car was not parked at a double yellow (pictures and an affidavit from you) and contest it. Outside of a factual dispute as to whether you were at a double yellow or not, I would think this would be clear cut.

I been searching around trying to find this, Connecticut Vehicle and Traffic code anyone know where I can find this, I've gone through about 5 pages of google and still haven't found it maybe someone has a direct link.

I think I could argue the fact that from appearance of the double yellow lines ending, it starts a culdesac which has no designation of flow of traffic, which I also cannot find any information regarding direct of traffic/flow of traffic direction in a culdesac.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 01:21 PM   #12
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

so, you parked on the street with your drivers side wheels closest to the curb/grass. Is that right?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 01:27 PM   #13
Tsaoster
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i xDrive

try to call ur city hall and ask for the bylaws ? Idk how it works in the US but in Canada, we can information about the bylaw by phoning in our local city hall
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 01:28 PM   #14
Joe-
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
so, you parked on the street with your drivers side wheels closest to the curb/grass. Is that right?
That is correct.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 03:06 PM   #15
phillip@bmpdesign
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

http://library.municode.com/index.as...me=Connecticut

Chapter 14

Not sure which parking situation applies to you directly, but based on the penalties in section 14-34 I would assume it is parking the wrong way on a street $25 fine.
Like us on facebook!

Last edited by phillip@bmpdesign; 09-21-2012 at 03:06 PM.. Reason: added chapter
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 03:12 PM   #16
Bob Shiftright
Save The Manuals!
Rep
Drives: E91 Schleppwagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe- View Post

Any tips to get off this ticket? I took pictures and went down to the clerks office to apply for court date. They didn't accept the pictures and told me to bring the picture with me to court.

Worst part about it is I think is one of the neighbors that gave me a ticket, about 3 cops live on this street.
I'd fight it.

I'd wear a suit so it's obvious that it's not about the $30. And if they haul the cop into court to testify against you, it's going to cost them more than $30, so it's at least a wash.
2008 E91 36K, 6-speed, RWD, Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Euro split armrest, Lidatek, remote V-1, Cocomats, beach sand, $10 clutch stop mod. 1998 Volvo V70T5 226K, 5-speed, original clutch (third clutch pedal!), aspheric driver's mirror, E-code headlights, IPD sway bar, strut tower brace & skidplate.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 03:20 PM   #17
Joe-
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillip@bmpdesign View Post
http://library.municode.com/index.as...me=Connecticut

Chapter 14

Not sure which parking situation applies to you directly, but based on the penalties in section 14-34 I would assume it is parking the wrong way on a street $25 fine.
Thanks, Yes on the ticket it indicated Parking the wrong way. Still doesn't clearly give a definitive answer as to whether or not past double yellow lines declares the road a two way street with defined sides.

I think I have a leg to stand on. No documentation defines dead end street driving sides, especially with double lines ending. In my view the road becomes a parking lot with no arrows deciding the direction of traffic.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 03:24 PM   #18
Joe-
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Shiftright View Post
I'd fight it.

I'd wear a suit so it's obvious that it's not about the $30. And if they haul the cop into court to testify against you, it's going to cost them more than $30, so it's at least a wash.
I doubt they will bring the cost to testify, I am not arguing the fact that I was parked with driver side wheels facing the grass but rather the fact that no sides are clearly defined and thus forth I have ever right to park may car the way I always have been.

I will also make the comment that several police officers live on the street and not one of them has mentioned to me that I was doing anything wrong and I've been parking this way for over 2 years.

I think it was either A. Disgruntle Neighbor, B. Rookie Cop.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 03:27 PM   #19
BluesDriver
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Coupe

In my opinion, just because the center lines go away, it does not mean that the rules of the road no longer apply. You still drive on the right side of the road and you would turn left to make a u-turn in order to exit the dead end street. In this case you were parking in the wrong direction.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 03:53 PM   #20
Joe-
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesDriver View Post
In my opinion, just because the center lines go away, it does not mean that the rules of the road no longer apply. You still drive on the right side of the road and you would turn left to make a u-turn in order to exit the dead end street. In this case you were parking in the wrong direction.

The rules of the road don't even exist. According to the CT Drivers manual provided by the great state of CT. The only ones that need to obey the "Right Side of the road" is bicycles.

Quote:
Page 31
As a bicyclist:
• You are required to ride on the right side of the roadway
http://www.ct.gov/dmv/lib/dmv/20/29/r12eng.pdf

No Signs, No Pavement markings, Nothing indicates which side of the roadway is the proper side to drive on.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 03:57 PM   #21
Joe-
Lieutenant
Rep

Page 74

Quote:
Pavement Markings
Lines and symbols on the roadway divide lanes, tell you when you may pass other vehicles or change lanes, which lanes to use
for turns, where you must stop for signs or traffic signals, and define pedestrian walkways. These provide lane control
No Pavement markings no lane control.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 04:18 PM   #22
BluesDriver
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Coupe

I see what you are saying but have you ever seen a cul de sac that has lane markings? In L.A. I have not. There are also many 2 way roads in residential areas that have no dividing lines. Does that mean people can drive on the left side of the road or park in the wrong direction?
Appreciate 0