E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Am I crazy or... (suspension / steering questions)

05-16-2013, 01:47 AM   #1
WickedB
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Convertible

Am I crazy or... (suspension / steering questions)

Ok here's the deal... Lately I feel like the steering on my '07 E90 is not as crisp as it used to be... seems a little more... wishy washy? lol.. like I have electric power steering all of a sudden.. I mean it's slight compared to actual electric power steering cars but you get the idea. Also considering my car now has 80,000 miles, lately driven on Sh!tty metro Detroit roads.. what should I look for in suspension / steering wear? How do I test for defects?

Also, what (if anything) should I look at replacing first? tie-rod ends? (Meyle HD maybe?) Replace the sway bar for a bigger one? M3 strut tower brace maybe?

Thanks in advance for the input.

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 05:03 AM   #2
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2007 328i Saloon

Garage List
I replaced tension struts at 92k with Meyle and it helped a lot. Haven't touched tie rods yet, don't think I need to.

I don't think you need a sway or strut bar to bring your car back to where it was. I suggest reading threads on sways to know pros and cons first. I've kicked the ideas around but will save my money for better dampers next changeout.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 08:47 AM   #3
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

Thrust arms
      05-16-2013, 11:06 AM   #4
WickedB
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlifxs View Post
I replaced tension struts at 92k with Meyle and it helped a lot. Haven't touched tie rods yet, don't think I need to.

I don't think you need a sway or strut bar to bring your car back to where it was. I suggest reading threads on sways to know pros and cons first. I've kicked the ideas around but will save my money for better dampers next changeout.
Thanks, Ok help me out... what exactly are the "tension struts"?.

And yea I've read a bit about sways.. no easy answer there I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1 View Post
Thrust arms
What is their job?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 01:24 PM   #5
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2007 328i Saloon

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedB View Post
Thanks, Ok help me out... what exactly are the "tension struts"?.

And yea I've read a bit about sways.. no easy answer there I guess.

What is their job?
tension struts are also called "control arms". In the front, there are upper ("tension strut") and lower ("wishbone") control arms, one of each on both sides of the car.

both tension strut and wishbone have a bushing on one end and a ball joint on the other. The bushing side connects to the front subframe and the ball joint attaches to the steering knuckle.

IMO Meyle HD tension struts have a stronger bushing and ball joint.

I don't have the tech knowledge or vocabulary to describe their job, but intuitively, your wheel is attached to the hub / steering knuckle, which is attached (vertically) to the strut. The control arms attach horizontally. My guess would be they (control arms) supply support for lateral forces.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 07:44 AM   #6
matreyia
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i Convertible Montego Blue

get aligned??

I got my car aligned and it felt super tight again. The steering was loose and drifting to the left and had oscillation at 65-70 (vibration). Got new tires, found out the rims were bent internally, so changed those and then alignment. Smooth and tight handling as if it were new.

2009 335i Convertible.

VT

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedB View Post
Ok here's the deal... Lately I feel like the steering on my '07 E90 is not as crisp as it used to be... seems a little more... wishy washy? lol.. like I have electric power steering all of a sudden.. I mean it's slight compared to actual electric power steering cars but you get the idea. Also considering my car now has 80,000 miles, lately driven on Sh!tty metro Detroit roads.. what should I look for in suspension / steering wear? How do I test for defects?

Also, what (if anything) should I look at replacing first? tie-rod ends? (Meyle HD maybe?) Replace the sway bar for a bigger one? M3 strut tower brace maybe?

Thanks in advance for the input.

Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 08:53 AM   #7
georgelb
nsomneeak
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 RB 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [8.00]
At 80k miles you probably have some bushings that need replacing; if you have an indy you trust have them inspect your suspension components and let you know the condition of everything.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 03:34 PM   #8
sle39lvr
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 328i

Alignment
Tires
Control arms/trust arms
Tie rods
Power steering fluid flush
Appreciate 0