E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Seat belt handover mech - repair guide?

12-14-2011, 03:04 AM   #1
SelSol
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: 335D SE

Seat belt handover mech - repair guide?

I've put up with it for long enough, and I have a little bit of time on my hands over winter, so wanted to repair the handover mechanism in my E92.

The mech all works, but the little finger that is supposed to catch the seatbelt as it moves out, doesn't flick out until its a couple of inches past the actual seatbelt. Looking at the mech it seems that its probably just a small pin or runner thats not seated correctly, but I've had it out twice and I can't see anything obvious.

Is there a "how to" anywhere? Googling doesn't bring anything up (save for about a million people complaining that the mech is broken in the first place because its stupidly flimsy).
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 12:23 PM   #2
macck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 msport

I replaced both ends last week cost 34 quid each now working fine. When i removed the butler ends a small piece of plastic fell out i think that is the part that fails it seems to be connected to the spring in the seatbelt butler.Also the stealer supplied me with plastic clip which goes round the metal runner that the seat-belt is connected to its ment to help the belt slide.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 12:44 PM   #3
mistryn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by macck View Post
I replaced both ends last week cost 34 quid each now working fine. When i removed the butler ends a small piece of plastic fell out i think that is the part that fails it seems to be connected to the spring in the seatbelt butler.Also the stealer supplied me with plastic clip which goes round the metal runner that the seat-belt is connected to its ment to help the belt slide.
i dont suppose you have the part numbers for this?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 01:10 PM   #4
macck
First Lieutenant
Rep

Theres a coupe of numbers on the box but i think its this one 72119165381
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 01:22 PM   #5
mistryn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by macck View Post
Theres a coupe of numbers on the box but i think its this one 72119165381
thanks, my local dealer sometimes/most times are a pain to deal with going in for parts

is it quite easy to replace? do i need any special tools? mine has been playing up on the drivers side
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 01:31 PM   #6
SelSol
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: 335D SE

Are there any online parts retailers for BMW? Going to Elms is a PITA because its a 60 mile round trip.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 01:36 PM   #7
macck
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistryn View Post
i dont suppose you have the part numbers for this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistryn View Post
thanks, my local dealer sometimes/most times are a pain to deal with going in for parts

is it quite easy to replace? do i need any special tools? mine has been playing up on the drivers side
Yeah easy to install 20mins to do both. They even give you we screwdriver in the box lol. Only problem was the whole arm retracted everytime you went to work at it so i just held the arm when it tried to retract it stayed out allowing me to work at it once the butler was replaced pushed the arm in manualy and it reset itself not sure if that was the right way to do it but it worked for me. It a nice gimmick when its working properly.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 01:43 PM   #8
macck
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelSol View Post
Are there any online parts retailers for BMW? Going to Elms is a PITA because its a 60 mile round trip.
Theres an official bmw retailer on ebay now .
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 07:00 PM   #9
coopersim
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 420d

I gave up on this as I couldn't find a way of removing just the end part of the assembly and the dealer wouldn't let me talk to a tech without me paying for half an hours labour - fair enough I guess
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 06:47 AM   #10
bmwak
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i M-Sport Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelSol View Post
I believe Cooper BMW do a mail order service via their website. Bowker Preston do too (although you have to speak to them) and so do Cotswolds in Gloucestershire.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 02:03 PM   #11
300iBooner
Registered
Rep
Drives: 300i Msport

How to take E92 seat belt arms out

I am new to the BMW world (2 weeks) and the drivers seat belt arm doesn't catch the belt I know there are loads of post about this subject but what I cannot find anywhere is how to take the arm apart I have bought the end piece that flicks out but can't work out or find any how to guides on this item any help will be much appreciated
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 12:56 PM   #12
gsxr-john
Registered
England
Rep
Drives: 335d se

This thread was the best one I could find about the problem so thought I'd post the solution here. I fixed mine myself. The video on you tube about using an iron to straighten the seatbelt probably isn't the answer for most people. The seat belt helper is broken if its in the fully extended position and the end 'hand' can still be folded backwards.

The end part is held in by a raised tab, you need a sharp small craft knife to remove it. This is the best video I found
but the guy is working on the whole assembly which has been removed from the car. Not an english language video but not important just look at how he does it......and it can be done without removing the whole mechanism....here's how

When the helper extends hold onto it, just hold it, don't pull it out any more, and after a short while it'll stop trying to retract! Open the door and dont close it til you're all done.

Here's the fiddly bit now but if you've watched the video you know where to look for the tab that's keeping the end in place - with a bit of care you can cut enough of it way so the whole end arm comes out.

Get your new part and just push it in til it clicks.

Next time you put the key in and close the door the arm should fully retract itself .... job done ! (if it doesn't go back , take the key out open the door, push the whole arm in a bit and repeat)

Best wishes...

Last edited by gsxr-john; 02-27-2013 at 01:01 PM.. Reason: apology for foreign language video
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 01:07 PM   #13
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla p85d

Thanks John that's what I did when I replaced mine.

I actually removed the entire arm (like the vid) and initially tried to see if the plastic stopper would go under the end barrier by lifting the end gently with a screwdriver. On closer inspection the end barrier is deep so that's not possible.

I simply did what you said which is to shave off the top of the plastic stopper so it slides out the end. Job done

Welcome to e90post btw
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 12:32 PM   #14
reficuliu
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 Montego Blue 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Wow Thanks everyone.
This was exactly what i was looking for.

Now if anyone has a more detailed DIY of this repair it would be incredible.
I'm a little timid to attempt shaving/cutting any parts in the event i damage the arm more than it is failing already..

i tried searching the part number given above but didn't find anything.. i'll keep looking though.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 10:14 PM   #15
Yvette
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by reficuliu View Post
Wow Thanks everyone.
This was exactly what i was looking for.

Now if anyone has a more detailed DIY of this repair it would be incredible.
I'm a little timid to attempt shaving/cutting any parts in the event i damage the arm more than it is failing already..

i tried searching the part number given above but didn't find anything.. i'll keep looking though.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...72&fg=05&hl=91

#16, i don't know if its any different based on which cars,
double check in case.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 05:52 PM   #16
scottp999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 4runner SR5

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxr-john View Post
This thread was the best one I could find about the problem so thought I'd post the solution here. I fixed mine myself. The video on you tube about using an iron to straighten the seatbelt probably isn't the answer for most people. The seat belt helper is broken if its in the fully extended position and the end 'hand' can still be folded backwards.

The end part is held in by a raised tab, you need a sharp small craft knife to remove it. This is the best video I found but the guy is working on the whole assembly which has been removed from the car. Not an english language video but not important just look at how he does it......and it can be done without removing the whole mechanism....here's how

When the helper extends hold onto it, just hold it, don't pull it out any more, and after a short while it'll stop trying to retract! Open the door and dont close it til you're all done.

Here's the fiddly bit now but if you've watched the video you know where to look for the tab that's keeping the end in place - with a bit of care you can cut enough of it way so the whole end arm comes out.

Get your new part and just push it in til it clicks.

Next time you put the key in and close the door the arm should fully retract itself .... job done ! (if it doesn't go back , take the key out open the door, push the whole arm in a bit and repeat)

Best wishes...
John - Just wanted to say thanks for your great post!

All - For my 4/2007 build e92 the driver side end of the arm was 72119144937 (only good up to 9/2007). For other build dates go to realoem.com and then for your build month look at Restraint System and Accessories, Safety Belt, Safety Belt Front Diagram.

The end of the arm part was $55.00 from getbmwparts.com (tischer bmw).

I also ordered 2 of those plastic spacers (part 72117294366) that go on the rail at the bottom, but my car did better without them installed.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2015, 08:45 AM   #17
GB-335xiCoupe
Libertarian
United_States
Rep
Drives: 29k mi per year.

On 2011 lci e92 built 3/2010:
Part 72117330782 (right)
Part 72117330781 (left)
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2021, 04:20 PM   #18
loetek
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

I accidentally pulled the entire extender arm out when replacing the end piece. Now I can't figure out how to put the extender arm back in. How does the additional flat piece go in? Is it suppose to hook onto anything? I reinserted the arm with the flat piece, but it doesn't work. It doesn't hit the button that collapses the end piece so the end piece doesn't go back inside the mechanism. What am I doing wrong?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2023, 05:35 PM   #19
hi rpm
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by loetek View Post
I accidentally pulled the entire extender arm out when replacing the end piece. Now I can't figure out how to put the extender arm back in. How does the additional flat piece go in? Is it suppose to hook onto anything? I reinserted the arm with the flat piece, but it doesn't work. It doesn't hit the button that collapses the end piece so the end piece doesn't go back inside the mechanism. What am I doing wrong?
If you figured this out I'd sure like to know. Everything seems right but the flat plastic shim doesn't stop when retracting like the passenger side does, hence doesn't press the button to retract the hook.

I didn't even fully disassemble mine. It malfunctioned and the flat plastic shim just fell out when I was messing with it.

Edit: Something is broken off that piece which must explain the malfunction.

Last edited by hi rpm; 08-21-2023 at 09:39 PM..
Appreciate 0