E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Volkswagen ad....wow.

11-30-2015, 07:54 AM   #1
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

Volkswagen ad....wow.

I don't know what to say about this ad......but basically is begging to be forgiven.
What's everyone thoughts on this?
Too soon....too apologetic or the right thing......in not too sure this makes me feel warm and fuzzy or would even sway me to even consider this company now.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      11-30-2015, 08:06 AM   #2
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue '06 330i

I like it. They owned their mess and are promising to make it right - actions speak louder than words, to be sure, but this is a good first step.
      11-30-2015, 08:16 AM   #3
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2014 MB GLK

Kathleen Wynne could take a lesson from this.....
Attached Images

Last edited by RABAUKE; 11-30-2015 at 08:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 08:48 AM   #4
PopsnBurbles
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135is :) 192/586

Garage List
Well? what can they do at this point? I personally think this is a decent step.
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2015, 09:10 AM   #5
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopsnBurbles
I would agree.....but I think no vw in my future for at least 5 years....but I still currently like nothing in their line-up!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 09:15 AM   #6
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

I also remember when it stood for this..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 10:15 AM   #7
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311
Haha.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 10:22 AM   #8
rickc007
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

I hope it's not just lip service

I bought a 2014 VW TDI (in a fit of practicallity )
Since turned it into a 135is (now we're talking)

Took a bit of a loss because trade is took a big hit.
Trying to see if I get any compensation ...
That is the only way they'd earn me back, they can keep their letter
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 10:56 AM   #9
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4cs | 2022 M550i

I don't think there is a "too soon" bar for a situation like this. Will it hurt them that they are apologizing? A bit, with a marginal audience. But it would definitely hurt them more to fight it for two years and then admit their wrongdoing in a govt hearing.

Only call to make, IMO.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 11:05 AM   #10
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmostro
I don't think there is a "too soon" bar for a situation like this. Will it hurt them that they are apologizing? A bit, with a marginal audience. But it would definitely hurt them more to fight it for two years and then admit their wrongdoing in a govt hearing.

Only call to make, IMO.
For sure this is taking responsibility.....but they had to know what they did was going come back and bite them hard.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 11:13 AM   #11
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopsnBurbles View Post
At this point they can still take the responsibility instead of trying to blame it on technicians down the line in the VW management tree:

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-dru...nd-technicians

http://www.theguardian.com/business/...ive-porsche-vw

It's 'wir haben es nicht gewußt' all over again (sorry Mike G...), this is not the right way for bosses to deal with a scandal....sure they didn't know, sure they weren't aware that lower CO2 emissions saves millions on taxes resulting in lower price and better competition, sure they didn't know that lower CO2 emissions dont result in the ability to be allowed to produce more cars (in line with european regulations)

Inside the VW group it's clear that there is nothing decent, especially about the persons who have the task to carry the responsibility.....

I don't care about the extra emission of CO2 resulted from this, but I do care about the millions of taxes that were evaded by this and I care about the technicians and engineers as they now get the blame because they apparantly did this completely on their own initiative.....right.....
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 11:20 AM   #12
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needbmwpartzz View Post
I would agree.....but I think no vw in my future for at least 5 years....but I still currently like nothing in their line-up!
Now is perfect time.to buy one cheap?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 11:28 AM   #13
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needbmwpartzz View Post
Now is perfect time.to buy one cheap?
Oh for sure.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 11:50 AM   #14
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
i appreciate them taking responsibility - doesnt make me feel any different about buying one of their vehicles .
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 12:10 PM   #15
djDori_C
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RABAUKE View Post
Kathleen Wynne could take a lesson from this.....
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 01:36 PM   #16
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmxbikes View Post
i appreciate them taking responsibility
as of yet there has not been taken any responsibility....

They only want to let you (or the public) think that with clever designed ad campaigns.....

Afaik there has not been any restitution towards owners or goverments.

Because that is where the 'taking responsibility' really lies. Paying back all the profits they got due to falsified data, paying all the taxes they evaded, and probably pay a 100% fine, as is usual for 'economic crimes' (or at least: in europe that's pretty ususal, I don't know how that is settled in the US)

They 'have set aside' something like 6 billion dollar, but I don't think that any of that money have been paid, and I also don't know if that's enough.
Normally if you go to the supermarket and buy a product, and when it doesnt meet the advertized standards, you go back and get a full refund. Do you think VW will do the same?
And it's not only VW: Audi, Seat, Skoda, porsche....every VAG marque that sells the affected diesels

And in the mean time how they deal with it internally is pretty scandalous and low as I wrote before.
There is some seriously low 'tracks covering' work going on in the higher management. All afraid to loose their money and face...
Certainly no 'taking responsibility'....
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 11-30-2015 at 01:45 PM..
Appreciate 2
      11-30-2015, 02:06 PM   #17
PatrikG
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW F31

Who cares, people are still buying them. I have never heard anyone let go of VW because of the "scandal" and companies still goes total ape sh*t and throwing diesel Passat Variant's to their employees like crazy.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 02:30 PM   #18
3GFX
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

First off, they've had worse PR

Second. I've worked in finance in the last 8 years and recently took up a position at a VW/Audi dealership. I also own 3 Vdubs currently.

In all honesty every individual and every company screws up at some point. From finance, to petroleum, automotive and even toys. Remember when we found out Thomas the tank engine toys were covered in lead paint only a couple years ago? They didn't replace the toy, and they didn't offer incentives. They apologizes and played the "oh well in China where its made" card.

It's how you own your screw up. They are trying to come to resolve with their clients and this was just the start in terms of arming customers with a place to go for more information.

If all clients thought about what was done for a second...

They cheated because the expectation for the engines was set too high and VW ambitiously thought they would have good emissions while providing power and mileage. You can't have all 3, especially in the short time frame expected by governments. Why do you think diesel motors in North America are rare in small engine sizes. The US fuel quality is junk to boot. VW cheated, for their benefit AND their clients. Better power and better mileage. Only the true environmentalists are the ones who do not benefit.

So VW is trying to rectify. They are offering all sorts of incentives along with future repairs to the problem. From software to full out part replacements. The average person will get more money from VW now than they would have from a class action law suit or what they will lose in depreciation.

VW is not the only company to make a mistake, and they are owning it. That's what's important.

This is far from over; but IMHO they are on the right track.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 03:06 PM   #19
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3GFX View Post
VW is not the only company to make a mistake, and they are owning it. That's what's important.

This is far from over; but IMHO they are on the right track.
Then why is the acting head of the supervisory board trying to shove the blame to the engineers and technicians?
Does he really think that the public is thàt thick that they believe that? That the engineers where acting on their own account? That some technicians thought hey, lets program in a special mapping that fools the test although that is not allowed but it could aid in hundreds of millions of profit but we won't tell anyone of the management of it?
That there wasn't any board decision involved....
Do you believe that?

That press statement had no decency what so ever.
As company head you cannot blame your employees on such matter in a press conference. I'm sure you understand that.
This is Management 101 really.....
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 04:25 PM   #20
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep
Drives: 997.2 Porsche C4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
How old are you?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 05:00 PM   #21
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonybest View Post
How old are you?
36 but I was born in Poland. I still have my Grandma's id card from that era; it has a real nice Nazi eagle on it..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 06:04 PM   #22
CIWS
Moon Parasite
United_States
Rep
Drives: F98 X4M Competition

If they wanted to take responsibility they would have openly admitted someone in the company screwed the pooch with the cars, but that's not what happened. They were busted by an outside entity who caught them cheating. Once they were caught red handed then they admitted what they had done, like there was any real choice. Their sales are dropping and now they're trying to act like they want to be honest. PR BS to try and make up for their continued declining sales. It sucks for the owners of the oil burners.

2020 X4M Comp. (currently stock) - Was 2015 335 MSport -MPPK -Borla ATAK -Dinan Sport+ - E.R. Charge pipe / 2013 X1 35i Sport - Dinan tune / 2009 X6 50i Dinan badged
Appreciate 2