E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Apple CarPlay on CIC?

12-05-2018, 06:44 PM   #23
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 BMW M3

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllSic_Design View Post
I've heard you need ICOM cable and that its a pain in the ass to update the CIC? I dont know if I need anything else like a combox or what, it's confusing.
You need a OEM Icom and it is a pain in the ass.
Appreciate 1
E92only82.00
      12-05-2018, 06:49 PM   #24
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickco43 View Post
You need a OEM Icom and it is a pain in the ass.
Exactly as I though, it's not something I can easily do. Which is why I just want the easiest and quickest way to get music displayed on my cic and controllable with my steering wheel, which seems to be that 3rd party box.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 08:59 AM   #25
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92n52 & f15n57

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkmcclelland View Post
So, I just came across this thread, and I thought that I might would chime in. I bought the unit from the seller on Ali Express and installed it a week or so ago. I'm trying to get a video made of the UI/UX, but if you guys have any specific questions, let me know. So far, I love it, the only thing I don't like is that when Siri speaks, the audio quality isn't the best, but that's kind of how all of the aftermarket ACP devices are.
Does the setup require separate microphone? Is there much lag? How do you access the UI? Is the behavior the same as on other CarPlay systems?
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2018, 09:33 PM   #26
DMM235i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 328xi

Quote:
So, I just came across this thread, and I thought that I might would chime in. I bought the unit from the seller on Ali Express and installed it a week or so ago. I'm trying to get a video made of the UI/UX, but if you guys have any specific questions, let me know. So far, I love it, the only thing I don't like is that when Siri speaks, the audio quality isn't the best, but that's kind of how all of the aftermarket ACP devices are.
Perfect! I just ordered the box tonight along with a rear view camera from them that they say is plug and play without coding being needed. I should have the parts January 4th. Please post a video showing as much as you can
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 09:15 AM   #27
intermediatic
Rep
Drives: 330xi 2011 LeMansBlue M Sport

Quote:
Yes, this really seems amazing, please make a video for us, it'd be the best holiday present.

You mention Siri audio is bad (would be helpful to see in video), how is phone quality, music quality? Do other apps besides the default ones work in Carplay (I assume so, but just checking)? Where do you keep the phone? How is the connection made? How hard was the install? How well do the maps work? Any loss of functionality with the BMW unit? How hard is it to get out of carplay?
Appreciate 1
      01-04-2019, 08:11 PM   #28
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep

dkmcclelland DMM235i

Any updates on this?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 07:55 PM   #29
DMM235i
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W37V View Post
dkmcclelland DMM235i

Any updates on this?
I got my box, all the wiring and the rear view camera that supposedly PnP’s with the interface. Just have to figure it out all out and do the install. So many wires haha
Appreciate 1
      01-07-2019, 12:39 PM   #30
jamesfawcett
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335D E91

Subscribed for updates!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 11:17 PM   #31
dkmcclelland
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 330i M Sport

Hey guys! Sorry I haven't responded, I apparently didn't have e-mail notification turned on. I will make a video tomorrow with my GoPro showing function. After using it for over a month now these are my observations:

1- Function works great. iDrive controller controls the screen and you're able to fully use ACP with your iDrive controller

2- Audio has to go through AUX in, but you CAN use bluetooth audio. The drawback is that navigation will NOT play through Bluetooth Audio while the USB/lightning cable from the ACP unit is plugged in. So what I mean is, if I'm using navigation, I have to have the car set to AUX in. I'm a bit of an audiophile and I notice difference in clarity and sound more than most, and with that being said, the AUX in can sometimes have a less than perfect sound quality.

3- I've noticed that if my phone isn't out of the console and have a clear view of the sky (I.e., under my jacket, or sitting in the console) the navigation sometimes goes stupid. It will accurately show my place on the map, but the turn-by-turn stops functioning. It will say "-750 feet" past my last turn even though it shows me having made that turn on the map. I need to reach out to the manufacturer and find out if there's a solution.

4- It WILL charge my phone, albeit slowly, but after an hour in the car tonight I went from 63% to 67% charge.

5- Once or twice, the graphics at night time on the night map glitched out and required me unplugging the USB cable and plugging it back in.

So far, would I do it again? Yes. It is very nice having ACP, but sometimes I feel like the OEM solution works more reliably. I think that's the issue with any aftermarket ACP solution right now.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 03:04 AM   #32
jamesfawcett
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335D E91

Quote:
Hey guys! Sorry I haven't responded, I apparently didn't have e-mail notification turned on. I will make a video tomorrow with my GoPro showing function. After using it for over a month now these are my observations:

1- Function works great. iDrive controller controls the screen and you're able to fully use ACP with your iDrive controller

2- Audio has to go through AUX in, but you CAN use bluetooth audio. The drawback is that navigation will NOT play through Bluetooth Audio while the USB/lightning cable from the ACP unit is plugged in. So what I mean is, if I'm using navigation, I have to have the car set to AUX in. I'm a bit of an audiophile and I notice difference in clarity and sound more than most, and with that being said, the AUX in can sometimes have a less than perfect sound quality.

3- I've noticed that if my phone isn't out of the console and have a clear view of the sky (I.e., under my jacket, or sitting in the console) the navigation sometimes goes stupid. It will accurately show my place on the map, but the turn-by-turn stops functioning. It will say "-750 feet" past my last turn even though it shows me having made that turn on the map. I need to reach out to the manufacturer and find out if there's a solution.

4- It WILL charge my phone, albeit slowly, but after an hour in the car tonight I went from 63% to 67% charge.

5- Once or twice, the graphics at night time on the night map glitched out and required me unplugging the USB cable and plugging it back in.

So far, would I do it again? Yes. It is very nice having ACP, but sometimes I feel like the OEM solution works more reliably. I think that's the issue with any aftermarket ACP solution right now.
Sounds like the same issues I have with my CIC tbh, other than the signal loss I wish that plugging in the iphone didn't disable the bluetooth streaming. Also, I find that charging through a 12v adapter is much faster than the iDrive USB connection, which only just about keeps it running.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 06:45 AM   #33
intermediatic
Rep
Drives: 330xi 2011 LeMansBlue M Sport

Thanks for the update!

Regarding charging, I’m wondering about using Waze for navigation. I think it’s now possible to use with CarPlay by changing a setting. When I use it (without CarPlay), it charges very slowly. I’m wondering if the CarPlay unit is demanding a lot of the iPhone or sending it a small amount of amperage. If he latter, the unit could be draining during CarPlay which would be bad.

So you can activate Siri via the steering wheel?

What happens when you activate an app like stocks that’s not in CarPlay? I have not used CarPlay once, in a rental, s I am not familiar with it.

How is phone call quality? A while back I bought a button that activated Siri via Bluetooth and inexplicably if I used it to start a call, the call was scratchy.

I wonder how Tidal sounds. You mentioned you are an audiophile, did you try lossless audio?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 09:16 AM   #34
DMM235i
Private
Rep

Quote:

Sounds like a great solution for the money considering blacktop Evo is over $2k

Mind telling us about the installation? I’m curious about how you routed the wiring and plugged everything in. Did you opt for the rear view camera with yours?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 05:20 PM   #35
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 BMW M3

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMM235i View Post
Sounds like a great solution for the money considering blacktop Evo is over $2k

Mind telling us about the installation? I’m curious about how you routed the wiring and plugged everything in. Did you opt for the rear view camera with yours?
The NBT Evo retrofit is a wild beast. I am looking forward of the review video of this box. I may stock these for my cic kits.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 03:14 PM   #36
dkmcclelland
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 330i M Sport

So, a bit of an update. I'm having one problem after another with this box. Aside from what I've previously mentioned, it freezes frequently and yesterday stopped working completely causing the iDrive controller to stop functioning. I had to unplug the harness to the ACP box and plug back in the iDrive controller directly. So frustrating. I'm currently waiting on a response from the manufacturer. I'm going to try and do a hard reset with the button on the box itself today and see if that fixes it at all.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 01:19 PM   #37
DMM235i
Private
Rep

Due to changing priorities, I've decided to sell my Carplay unit and the plug and play reverse camera rather than try to install it.

$350 shipped for both the carplay unit and the reverse camera if anyone wants to give it a try in their E9x. Please PM me
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 11:42 AM   #38
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep

So just to update this for anyone searching for this info.
Joyeauto sells a retrofit unit for about $420 (at the time of this typing) which allows wireless full screen apple carplay integration with CIC units. The unit uses existing car functionality (controllers, screen, buttons) except for microphone.

https://www.joyeauto.com/product/bmw...face-retrofit/

And there is also another potential solution from Andream. They list their product as also offering wireless apple carplay with full screen.
https://www.android-car-dvd.com/coll...32066140438664

They list their system as supporting CIC systems on e60, f10, etc. However, they do not list e90 CIC. I am confused as to why they would not list e90 as CIC systems between e60 and e90 should be the same. This system also allows camera add on for about $15 for total cost of $300.

They have a separate android unit.

Last edited by W37V; 02-07-2020 at 11:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 07:47 PM   #39
CarFan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 3.5 Premium

Garage List
[QUOTE=W37V;25781851]So just to update this for anyone searching for this info.
Joyeauto sells a retrofit unit for about $420 (at the time of this typing) which allows wireless full screen apple carplay integration with CIC units. The unit uses existing car functionality (controllers, screen, buttons) except for microphone.

Does this unit require the use of the AUX port? I went to their site and it doesn't offer much info.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 07:38 AM   #40
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep

[QUOTE=CarFan;25801660]
Quote:
So just to update this for anyone searching for this info.

Does this unit require the use of the AUX port? I went to their site and it doesn't offer much info.
I think they all might require it.
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showth...546382&page=13
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 09:49 AM   #41
smass
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 325i - 10 335i

Garage List
2010 E90 335i  [0.00]
2016 F15 35i  [0.00]
2003 E53 3.0  [0.00]
2006 E90 325i  [0.00]
[QUOTE=W37V;25802806]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarFan View Post
The newest Kremersino uses the combox for audio input (and possibly mic input). People say the audio quality is better. I have an older Kremersino and the audio output on the aux is awful. Music has no bass. Nav directions are distorted. Details are in the later parts of the m3post thread.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 08:29 PM   #42
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smass View Post

The newest Kremersino uses the combox for audio input (and possibly mic input). People say the audio quality is better. I have an older Kremersino and the audio output on the aux is awful. Music has no bass. Nav directions are distorted. Details are in the later parts of the m3post thread.
That is awesome to hear. I am seriously considering pulling a trigger on this. One thing that was holding me back was separate mic and use of aux input. If they manage to resolve that, then this upgrade becomes more viable option.

In addition, adding backup camera only costs extra 30-50.

I am so looking forward to what is coming on the market next. Stability, features, and stability are most important to me.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 08:30 PM   #43
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoonsE90 View Post
Just emailed the guys at Andream. They verified that it works for e90 with an original screen. Here’s what they said:
Hello my friend,

I am glad to hear from you.

Does your car have an original screen? Because the interface of E60 and E90 is the same, it is completely suitable. You can buy it.

Best Regards.

Wang,

Looks like I’m getting some CarPlay soon!
Use of built in screen never appears to be an issue. The issue was use of built in microphone. So far, all units required separate microphone to be installed as they could not use factory unit.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 09:30 AM   #44
smass
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 325i - 10 335i

Garage List
2010 E90 335i  [0.00]
2016 F15 35i  [0.00]
2003 E53 3.0  [0.00]
2006 E90 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
That is awesome to hear. I am seriously considering pulling a trigger on this. One thing that was holding me back was separate mic and use of aux input. If they manage to resolve that, then this upgrade becomes more viable option.

In addition, adding backup camera only costs extra 30-50.

I am so looking forward to what is coming on the market next. Stability, features, and stability are most important to me.
I checked last night and the CIC version of the new Kremersino is still showing as not available on Alliexpress. Also, regarding the backup camera function, consider using the stock CIC functionality. The carplay module is slower to boot up so you don't get an image as soon as just using the CIC backup camera input. A CIC will show the backup camera about 5 seconds after it wakes up. A carplay takes about 15. This is for the older Aux version. Hopefully the newer one is faster.
Appreciate 0