E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > OIL SLUDGE and oill change warning

06-13-2011, 01:54 PM   #67
Norcal_335i
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
Exactly im not an engineer...thats y i will err on side of caution w 5k intervals..seriously for $100..wth?..or u can be brainwashed by BMW's bullshit..ur call
I agree...you spend 40k to 50k on your BMW...so why not change ur oil at 5k.....its only about 100 bucks!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 01:58 PM   #68
Norcal_335i
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremecruiser View Post
My trips and driving is mostly highway miles so my oil changes will have higher miles.
Everyone is missing the point, I followed BMW's plan of oil changes and now I have sludge.
I asked for the oil to be changed more and was told no it does not need to be.
I'm not missing your point!!! Sorry your out of warranty and thats why BMW will not give you a new motor. You will have to sue them and most likely will loose your case.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 02:03 PM   #69
Norcal_335i
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriztofor View Post
Op's other post.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=318037

Here is an excerpt from Op's other post:

The GM says they will not service my car and would like me to leave, I politely ask him for something in writing saying they will not service my car, he says he will not.
I ask hm why they will not service my car and he tells me that because I have a legal action against the dealership that they can not work on my car. I told him it's low a quart of oil and the cars computer says the oil needs to be changed, he said they will not service it. I said the nearest BMW dealership is 2 hours away, that I am not driving there, and that I was already told I could not let a local BMW tuner service it or I was told the warranty would be voided, he just said you have to look for other options.
I said look I just want my oil changed and the car checked, he asks me to leave. I told him he is just making it worse and to have a nice day.
As I leave the whole freaking dealership is standing around looking.

I get my key back from the hot service advisor and go to leave, as I am getting in the car the police officer is leaving and I ask him if he was here because of me. He rolls his eyes and says sorry I am, they want you off the property, I told him they are a bunch of pussys and he laughs.
I go back to work and call my attorney, he is kinda shocked by it all, I told him I will call BNWNA about it.

OP: You have the balls to go back to that dealer!
Wow, just wow!
GREAT FIND!!!!!I smell BS by OP!!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 02:05 PM   #70
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcal_335i View Post
I'm not missing your point!!! Sorry your out of warranty and thats why BMW will not give you a new motor. You will have to sue them and most likely will loose your case.
See post #66. Apparently he's been suing them since 2009, but I notice he hasn't reported on the results of that suit.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 02:10 PM   #71
VWtoBMW
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Garage List
I remember reading this original post.

Second possible lawsuit now pending? If I were BMW I would hold the OP's feet to the flame too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriztofor View Post
Op's other post.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=318037

Here is an excerpt from Op's other post:

The GM says they will not service my car and would like me to leave, I politely ask him for something in writing saying they will not service my car, he says he will not.
I ask hm why they will not service my car and he tells me that because I have a legal action against the dealership that they can not work on my car. I told him it's low a quart of oil and the cars computer says the oil needs to be changed, he said they will not service it. I said the nearest BMW dealership is 2 hours away, that I am not driving there, and that I was already told I could not let a local BMW tuner service it or I was told the warranty would be voided, he just said you have to look for other options.
I said look I just want my oil changed and the car checked, he asks me to leave. I told him he is just making it worse and to have a nice day.
As I leave the whole freaking dealership is standing around looking.

I get my key back from the hot service advisor and go to leave, as I am getting in the car the police officer is leaving and I ask him if he was here because of me. He rolls his eyes and says sorry I am, they want you off the property, I told him they are a bunch of pussys and he laughs.
I go back to work and call my attorney, he is kinda shocked by it all, I told him I will call BNWNA about it.

OP: You have the balls to go back to that dealer!
Wow, just wow!
      06-13-2011, 02:46 PM   #72
bimmertt
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

No wonder why BMW hates you. This is definitely retaliation. Anyone know what the OP is suing for?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 03:03 PM   #73
grieverr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F32

Damn OP, I remember reading your original thread back in the day. I gotta say, I really don't know what you were thinking going back to the same dealer. They are definitely never (ever) going to cooperate with you, due completely to your lawsuit against them. So some advice, if you decide your next car is a BMW, do not buy it or service it at that dealer.

People, the OP has done the oil changes as instructed by BMW. The problem is that the 16K one was done at an indy shop. And due to the lawsuit, they are giving him a hard time (can't say I blame them). The sludge is not due to the frequency of oil changes. Something else is going on there. But again OP, your legal predicament is what's stopping them from helping you. Sorry.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 03:10 PM   #74
grieverr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F32

tibra1, I was about to post something very similar to ENINTY. I, too, have a fair amount of time driving BMWs (5 cars and over 10 years) and have always followed their service intervals with no problems.

Now, please understand I am not disagreeing with you. More frequent oil changes can be beneficial to your car. However, I do not think that we'd be fools to go with the recommended 15K (or whatever) interval. I can also vouch that I've never had engine troubles with my E39, E46, E60, E90, and now E92.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 03:17 PM   #75
wren57
Roll Tide
Rep
Drives: 335i

Given that it was a loaner/demo car, I'm guessing it wasn't broken in properly and was beaten on pretty hard for the first few thousand miles of its life. That coupled with the fact you didn't change the oil until 16k, and got it changed at an indy shop (who you can't verify used the proper oil/filter), likely explains the beginnings of your sludge.
      06-13-2011, 03:18 PM   #76
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
You imply BMW has some conspiracy to have their cars blow up after the 100,000 (extended warranty) runs out because they short change you on the free oil changes, which is just an asinine position to take.
No conspiracy.. just routine cost accounting by BMW, I know.. they are one of my clients, but that is not something i am going to get in to.

I would say the asinine position to take is claim its safe to run 12-18K mile drain intervals, but like i said to each their own. If you feel the $100 spent on an oil change is not well spent than that is your perogative.

BMW is a business..maximizing revenues and limiting costs..please do not insult my inteligence and others here by saying that BMW schedule of maintaince is not influenced by that.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 03:21 PM   #77
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

Oh boy another oil thread. Well here goes, I purchased my e46 brand new and followed 15k oil changes without any problems (sludge) after 180,000 miles. I gave the car as a gift to my bro-in-law and it is still purring after 190,000 miles. Since finding the OP's other crazy posts, I don't think this thread is a definitive answer to not follow BMW's recommended interval. On my e90 I change oil at 10,000 miles for the heck of it.

Also, keep in mind, if 15k oil changes were unrealistic and produced sludge, there would be thousands of posts/complaints coming from e46 owners. The e46 has been in production for about 11 years now. Also, someone (like the OP, ) would have filed a class action lawsuit by now.
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 03:40 PM   #78
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

"Well technically you didnt follow BMW's schedule b/c its 15Kmiles"

@Tibra1 not to nit pick but since you interjected so much into this thread the above is misleading. All Maintenace is CBS based and done when the computer calls for it not a strict mileage guide. Could be 15K could be 16K could be 13K depends on driving condition. The intake tract issue is DI related not serice intervals and all DI motors have carbon issues not just BMW's, talk to high boost VAG guys if you want carbon horror stories. I personally halve the intervals but always have a BMW center do the ones called out by CBS while under warranty. I've had two prior BMW's, not FI/DI, go well over 160K and strong on oil intervals like that above every 7500 with filter full synthetic. Also "lifetime" fluids in BMW eyes is 100K and that's everywhere in the manuals.

@the OP I'm surprised you got BMWNA to even call back. I've been playing phone tag with them since April over getting my car CPO'd due to issues and get a VM about every 2 weeks, call right back and just get the persons VM never a return before 2 weeks. Their customer service is pretty bad IMO but has been for years so I expect so very little from them.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 05:04 PM   #79
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
"@Tibra1 not to nit pick but since you interjected so much into this thread the above is misleading. All Maintenace is CBS based and done when the computer calls for it not a strict mileage guide. Could be 15K could be 16K could be 13K depends on driving condition. The intake tract issue is DI related not serice intervals and all DI motors have carbon issues not just BMW's, talk to high boost VAG guys if you want carbon horror stories. I personally halve the intervals but always have a BMW center do the ones called out by CBS while under warranty. I've had two prior BMW's, not FI/DI, go well over 160K and strong on oil intervals like that above every 7500 with filter full synthetic. Also "lifetime" fluids in BMW eyes is 100K and that's everywhere in the manuals.
My ONLY interjection here is regarding the notion that "BMW knows best" and that lifetime fluid and 12-18K mile oil changes are the way to keep cars running well...period..as I said when u consider the source (BMW) and their motivations behind it..im sorry I dont agree.

The OP has only responded but a few times here..so Im not going to guess whats going on with his situation ..Apparently there r other issues with the OPs claim that other members have brought to light.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 07:49 PM   #80
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcal_335i View Post
I agree...you spend 40k to 50k on your BMW...so why not change ur oil at 5k.....its only about 100 bucks!!!
Why not change it every 500 miles for that matter?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 07:55 PM   #81
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Almost as ridcuolus as changing it every 15K miles..isnt it?

Almost..
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 08:48 PM   #82
111R
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lotus

As I mentioned in an earlier post, why not take an oil sample and have an analysis done? Considering that $10k engine swaps and $100 oil changes are a factor, a $25 oil analysis is an inexpensive way to use facts rather than opinion to determine what the best interval is for individual driving habits, car condition, and other factors such as ambient temperature.

Unless one of you is a tribologist who specializes in internal combustion engine lubrication, this seems like the way to go. Come to think of it, someone in that field would probably do an oil analysis as a first step in determining the right answer.
'17 Audi A4 Ultra, Monsoon Grey, Wife's car
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 08:54 PM   #83
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 111R View Post
As I mentioned in an earlier post, why not take an oil sample and have an analysis done? Considering that $10k engine swaps and $100 oil changes are a factor, a $25 oil analysis is an inexpensive way to use facts rather than opinion to determine what the best interval is for individual driving habits, car condition, and other factors such as ambient temperature.

Unless one of you is a tribologist who specializes in internal combustion engine lubrication, this seems like the way to go. Come to think of it, someone in that field would probably do an oil analysis as a first step in determining the right answer.

post #55
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 09:28 AM   #84
xtremecruiser
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 Waterfall Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
See post #66. Apparently he's been suing them since 2009, but I notice he hasn't reported on the results of that suit.

Tom
Lemon law, unfair trade act, misrepresentation, etc, suit is due in court later this summer.
The oil engine issue is new, I followed BMW's recommend oil changes, just like many other owners do.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 11:41 AM   #85
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
No conspiracy.. just routine cost accounting by BMW, I know.. they are one of my clients, but that is not something i am going to get in to.

I would say the asinine position to take is claim its safe to run 12-18K mile drain intervals, but like i said to each their own. If you feel the $100 spent on an oil change is not well spent than that is your perogative.

BMW is a business..maximizing revenues and limiting costs..please do not insult my inteligence and others here by saying that BMW schedule of maintaince is not influenced by that.
Fine Sir, I have a complete auto shop at my house with a Rotary SPO A10 auto lift and over $7,000 worth of tools. I've been working on cars since I was 12 years old. I can change the oil in my car every day if I wanted to. An oil change for me costs $68 for the oil change kit and about an hour's labor of my time (less than what you probably spend taking and picking your car up for an oil change).

All businesses try maximize revenue and minimize costs, and the best revenue generation for an automobile company is to keep their products on the road as long as possible to maximize the population of vehicles to sell highly profitable repair and maintenance parts, and sell repair services for (for which the development costs have long been amortized). It is a business model BMW has followed for a long time. It is why you can still get new OEM parts for BMWs that go back 30 some odd years, it's why BMW has a division called Mobile Tradition to help owners rebuild classic BMWs and make parts for old cars that the parts have been discontinued.

Since you are familiar with their books, you surely must know BMW is a highly profitable car company, and recognized as such by its peers in the automotive industry. Why would BMW risk its reputation it has fought so long and hard for, at great expense, for the last 40 years, to now make their cars obsolete by default because they want to short change the customer on two oil changes and have engines prematurely die due to oil sludging issues? It makes no business sense. Please don't insult my intelligence (having sold manufactured products and integrated systems to customers for the past 25 years) that BMW's business model is to screw the customer and make them buy a new $50K car every 100,000 miles. If the car needs five oil changes during the 50,000 mile warranty instead of three, then BMW would up the retail price of the car by $200 to cover the cost. It wouldn't make their cars any less desirable or less price competitive with the competition.

I stand by my previous assessment; if you have no intellegence, it can't be insulted...
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 11:52 AM   #86
bsamoul
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Why would any dealer want to deal with you after these: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175589 and http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=318037

You've gotten on BMW's shit list, especially for making that website before. They don't have to deal with you when you bash them and the brand and have been for years now.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 11:56 AM   #87
Potty_Pants
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Genesis Sedan Rspec

sounds like its time to finish the lawsuit and trade your car for another brand.

ppp
Olds Starfire > Chevy Malibu > Isuzu I-mark RS & Honda Magna 500 > Grand Am GT & YSR50 > Nissan Maxima & Ninja 750 > X-Wife > Hyundai Excel > Honda Prelude > Honda Accord > Honda Prelude & Ninja 250> Infiniti G35 > E90 335i > Hyundai Genesis Rspec, Hyunadai Sonata > Kia Sorento > Honda CRV-EX
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 03:46 PM   #88
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
Fine Sir, I have a complete auto shop at my house with a Rotary SPO A10 auto lift and over $7,000 worth of tools. I've been working on cars since I was 12 years old. I can change the oil in my car every day if I wanted to. An oil change for me costs $68 for the oil change kit and about an hour's labor of my time (less than what you probably spend taking and picking your car up for an oil change).
Appreciate 0