E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Can I fit a e92 M3 muffler in a e92 335i?

12-19-2015, 04:53 PM   #1
black_vicking
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Can I fit a e92 M3 muffler in a e92 335i?

I don't know if this has already been answered, if it was I apologize in advance, but I'm looking to do my 2012 335i quad exhaust by installing a e92 M3 muffler, does anybody knows if it fits in the 335i? I know I will have to change the difuser on the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2015, 08:21 PM   #2
GreQonE
Private First Class
Poland
Rep
Drives: '2011 E92 LCI 335i

I remember there was a thread somewhere stating that installing m3 exhaust might not be the best idea, power-wise.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2015, 10:09 AM   #3
black_vicking
Private First Class
Rep

Mmm ill research on that thanks brother
      12-20-2015, 05:29 PM   #4
Joey911
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i MT w/ M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_vicking
I don't know if this has already been answered, if it was I apologize in advance, but I'm looking to do my 2012 335i quad exhaust by installing a e92 M3 muffler, does anybody knows if it fits in the 335i? I know I will have to change the difuser on the car.
to whoever asks this again with no fear of people telling you to search first, or shitting on you

I too wonder the same, more interested in M4 exhaust to E92 335i, since they're both turbo inline 6 engine.

I'm sure people will tell you this: "NA engine needs back pressure whereas FI engine need 0 back pressure."

I recently read this article: http://www.gomog.com/allmorgan/exhaustbackpressure.html

It's about exhaust gas velocity vs piping diameter and such, might explain why people looses low end torque when going for a fatter pipe, but more HP at the top end.

It also mention that BMW uses this technique to control the exhaust gas velocity.... Our muffler flap! Which makes me wonder, does the flap closes at lower RPM makes a little more torque because of the exhaust velocity is higher with the flap closes (so called more back pressure)?

Please read it and discuss

I want my car to sound like M4 though lol

Joey
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2015, 06:27 PM   #5
black_vicking
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey911
Quote:
to whoever asks this again with no fear of people telling you to search first, or shitting on you

I too wonder the same, more interested in M4 exhaust to E92 335i, since they're both turbo inline 6 engine.

I'm sure people will tell you this: "NA engine needs back pressure whereas FI engine need 0 back pressure."

I recently read this article: http://www.gomog.com/allmorgan/exhaustbackpressure.html

It's about exhaust gas velocity vs piping diameter and such, might explain why people looses low end torque when going for a fatter pipe, but more HP at the top end.

It also mention that BMW uses this technique to control the exhaust gas velocity.... Our muffler flap! Which makes me wonder, does the flap closes at lower RPM makes a little more torque because of the exhaust velocity is higher with the flap closes (so called more back pressure)?

Joey
Damn thanks man Ill read that.
      12-20-2015, 10:31 PM   #6
Joey911
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i MT w/ M Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey911
Quote:

Joey
Damn thanks man Ill read that.
So what do you think?

I really really want my car to sound like an M4 though! Some say turbo car exhaust note is depended on the exhaust manifold.. ??
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 04:06 PM   #7
T i h o r
n00b
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335i 6spd

Sorry to bump an old thread, but did you ever end up putting an m3/4 exhaust on your 335i?

I'm just about to go through this process, and any kind of heads up would be great!

TIA
      06-03-2020, 04:52 PM   #8
E92B1MMER
Rep
Drives: 12 335i M, 14 X1, 13 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by T i h o r View Post
Sorry to bump an old thread, but did you ever end up putting an m3/4 exhaust on your 335i?

I'm just about to go through this process, and any kind of heads up would be great!

TIA
+1 I would like to know this as well. I got an E92 335i M and want m3 oem exhaust or any other after market ones that's better sounding and reliable. Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 09:56 PM   #9
Duchess22
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: %C2%91%E2%80%9911 e92 335i spo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey911 View Post
Quote:

Joey
Makes sense. I disabled my flapper to get more sound all the time. But if it is by design.... hmmm making me second guess my plans for a HFDP and PE mod exhaust.

Addendum:
I found this on bimmerfest.

Here is the official BMW explination:-
Thank you for your email to BMW Customer Information.
We can advise that the exhaust flaps adjust at differing engine speeds in order to make the most effective use of the exhaust silencer. When the vehicle is running at idle or at low RPM, the flap ensures that the exhaust gases use as much of the silencer's volume as possible, keeping exhaust noise down, e.g. when you're in slow traffic or driving in high gear.
Whereas when the vehicle is running at high RPM, the exhaust flow characteristics are adjusted by the flap to give the exhaust gases a more direct route through the silencer, thus using less of its volume. This also has the effect of allowing the engine to rev more freely as there is less restriction on the exhaust flow.
The primary reason for the flap is to make the most effective use of the exhaust silencer volume at differing engine speeds.
We trust this information is of some assistance to you but if we can help you further at any time, please do contact a member of the BMW Customer Information Team.
Yours sincerely
BMW Group UK
Elfriede McNeal
Product Information Advisor
      06-04-2020, 10:35 AM   #10
TheGoodTheBadTheUgly
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i xDrive

The N55 might be a lot of steps lower than the S55 when it comes to performance but the N55 sounds a whole lot better.

Get a catless or highflow catted downpipe with a performance exhaust mod.

The exhaust manifold is a connection housing containing multiple pipes so ofcourse it will impact the sound of the car just like any other pipe of the exhaust system.