E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > LCI Non-Sport to LCI Paddle Shifter Retrofit Question

11-21-2016, 09:49 AM   #1
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
LCI Non-Sport to LCI Paddle Shifter Retrofit Question

Been sifting through old threads about paddle shifter retrofit but the majority of threads seem to deal with situations where someone:

a) owns pre-LCI non-sport but wants to retrofit LCI paddles
b) owns pre-LCI sport (with SSG) but wants to retrofit LCI paddles
c) owns pre-LCI or LCI but is looking to upgrade to M3 DCT paddles

My question is simpler. I own a 2011 LCI 328i non-sport. What would it take to upgrade to 2011 LCI paddles, assuming I get my hands on a sport steering wheel with LCI paddles from a 2011 335i/xi?

Do I still need a new harness or is it PnP since both my car and donor steering wheel are from 2011? And will the multifunction buttons from my non-sport wheel transfer over or are sport ones different?
      11-21-2016, 12:47 PM   #2
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
You would still need the PnP harness since your car did not have paddles from factory:

http://www.burgertuning.com/paddleshift.html

As far as MFB go - I know on the pre-LCI such as mine - there are (2) different versions of the MFB:
  • (1) WITHOUT paddle shift
  • (1) WITH paddle shift

This is regardless of what the buttons have printed on them.

Difference is - the version WITH paddle shift have the connector socket for the paddle modules populated/wired with pins - as the paddle module wires plug into the MFB then pass thru to wiring harness

The versions of MFB WITHOUT paddles still have the actual socket present, but there are no pins populated or wiring - so plugging the paddle modules into these MFB would not work. I was suprised myself that BMW would go to this trouble of making (2) versions just to save some $$ on pins/wire - but when I checked - the sockets were indeed empty

There is a way to custom wire the paddle modules & NOT plug them in to the MFB (somewhere on the forum) - which would save you $$ on buying new/correct MFB - but I personally don't like 'mickey mouse' wiring jobs on my car so I purchased the correct MFB when I did my paddle retrofit

Again, the above is true for pre-LCI IDK if LCI MFB are the same
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 02:10 PM   #3
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
You would still need the PnP harness since your car did not have paddles from factory:

http://www.burgertuning.com/paddleshift.html

As far as MFB go - I know on the pre-LCI such as mine - there are (2) different versions of the MFB:
  • (1) WITHOUT paddle shift
  • (1) WITH paddle shift

This is regardless of what the buttons have printed on them.

Difference is - the version WITH paddle shift have the connector socket for the paddle modules populated/wired with pins - as the paddle module wires plug into the MFB then pass thru to wiring harness

The versions of MFB WITHOUT paddles still have the actual socket present, but there are no pins populated or wiring - so plugging the paddle modules into these MFB would not work. I was suprised myself that BMW would go to this trouble of making (2) versions just to save some $$ on pins/wire - but when I checked - the sockets were indeed empty

There is a way to custom wire the paddle modules & NOT plug them in to the MFB (somewhere on the forum) - which would save you $$ on buying new/correct MFB - but I personally don't like 'mickey mouse' wiring jobs on my car so I purchased the correct MFB when I did my paddle retrofit

Again, the above is true for pre-LCI IDK if LCI MFB are the same
Thanks very helpful. Only issue is I can't find a p/n for MFB associated with LCI and paddle shifters. Any clue?
      11-21-2016, 03:18 PM   #4
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Looking them up for your car on RealOEM, I only find (1) P/N:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=61_1880

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...s/61319223073/

So according to that, there is only (1) version for LCI. Can't tell whether the connectors are populated or not, but there is no other choice...

You can see the connector where the paddle modules plug in in pic that shows backside of MFB
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 08:45 PM   #5
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
Looking them up for your car on RealOEM, I only find (1) P/N:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=61_1880

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...s/61319223073/

So according to that, there is only (1) version for LCI. Can't tell whether the connectors are populated or not, but there is no other choice...

You can see the connector where the paddle modules plug in in pic that shows backside of MFB
Thanks last question. Since I have a LCI sport wheel and paddles, do I still need to do the resistor mod? I was under the impression that was only for pre-LCI wheels on non-DCT cars...
      06-10-2020, 01:29 PM   #6
riaanred
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
Been sifting through old threads about paddle shifter retrofit but the majority of threads seem to deal with situations where someone:

a) owns pre-LCI non-sport but wants to retrofit LCI paddles
b) owns pre-LCI sport (with SSG) but wants to retrofit LCI paddles
c) owns pre-LCI or LCI but is looking to upgrade to M3 DCT paddles

My question is simpler. I own a 2011 LCI 328i non-sport. What would it take to upgrade to 2011 LCI paddles, assuming I get my hands on a sport steering wheel with LCI paddles from a 2011 335i/xi?

Do I still need a new harness or is it PnP since both my car and donor steering wheel are from 2011? And will the multifunction buttons from my non-sport wheel transfer over or are sport ones different?
Have you sorted this yet? I'm in the exact same boat and can't seem to find answers
Appreciate 0