E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > N54 Track Success??

06-19-2019, 01:43 PM   #1
nsgardella
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW Z4 28i

N54 Track Success??

I am curious as to the race potential of my currently stock 335i (N54). Over the past few months I have been reading through a number of the threads on here, including Limp Mode Party and some of the race build threads. Mostly unhappy tales, so I’m 90% of the way to selling the car and moving to a more "practical” race car. But there is a part of me that really likes the e92 platform and would love to give it a go. And on paper the car looks to be classed very competitively, if made reliable.

In reading through the forum, it’s still not clear if anyone has successfully raced an N54. I see some great Time Attack and Track Day builds, but I’m curious has anyone been able to get the N54 to last for over 30 minutes at full race pace? If so, I'd love to hear about it. For reference, I’d be looking to run the car in the SCCA Touring 3 class at Majors and Runoffs, which are no shorter than 30 minutes and up to 40-50 minutes.

The build spec would allow the following:
-Stock Turbo
-Stock Intake (high flow filter)
-CSF Radiator (water/mocool)
-FMIC
-ER Dual Comp Oil Cooler (hd oil)
-Charge Pipe
-Catless downpipes to straight pipe exhaust
-25MM Turbo Inlet Restrictors (per class rules)
-OEM Brake rotors (w-racing pads, DOT 4 brake fluid, and 3” ducts)
-Race suspension: coilovers w-max 600lb spring rate, hd sway bars, adj camber, upgraded bushings etc.
-Cobb/JB4 Tune (w-ability to control boost for long runs vs. party mode)
-3350 minimum weight (gutted with cage, seat, fire suppression etc.)
-18x9 max wheel size
-275 front, 245 rear max tire size

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 03:07 PM   #2
slides
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 335I

Getting rid of heat is the biggest issues. I have done 7 track days with 25 minute session in 95f heat and have only hit limp mode 1x due to a failing water pump. Recently I installed a new oil cooler and the oil temps drooped from 280f down to 260f and also have removed the engine belly pan.

With dual oil cooler, CSF radiator, updated intercooler, and charge pipe I think you will be good. The stock brakes are decent, just slap in some good pads, fluid and the brake ducts will help big time!!

Are you sure you want to use JB4? there is a reason that most of the people who blow their motors are running JB4. Whats your power goal? Be conscious of the ARF's and maybe check out MHD, a lot of people really like that.
Appreciate 1
      06-20-2019, 09:02 AM   #3
Synectic
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 e92 335i mtech

Looking at T1 specs? 335 is a great car, i was going to make it into a racecar but then realized the amount of maintenence in order to just keep it going throughout a single race season would be too much, the turbos would probably have to be changed out yearly.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 11:48 AM   #4
nsgardella
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW Z4 28i

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. I was looking at T3 specs actually, don't need as much hp as in T1 to be competitive. The X factors are the twin 25MM turbo inlet restrictors required by the rules in that class. I had estimated a 10-15% power loss, with the goal of trying to boost back to a competitive power range. But I'm not really sure how the N54 would be affected by the pretty serious air restriction and how a custom tune could overcome that.
Appreciate 0